Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lizzie Armisted 'cleared' to ride in Rio - 3 missed doping test violations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Like The Daily Mail, I think you should put inverted commas around "3 missed doping tests".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Dodgy. No mention of why she missed two test AFTER she made a mess of the first one. Are bodies like British Cycling supposed to fund legal battles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Like The Daily Mail, I think you should put inverted commas around "3 missed doping tests".

I am not quoting the daily mail in my heading so why do I need quotes

3 doping tests were missed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Dodgy. No mention of why she missed two test AFTER she made a mess of the first one. Are bodies like British Cycling supposed to fund legal battles?

I don't know about the UK, but in Ireland isn't it the governing bodies that actually pursue doping cases against athletes with adverse test results? Seems like highly irregular practice at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I can see the case fro the first one ...but they would have informed her ??

How did she miss another 2 ?? is it so hard to fill in your where abouts for an hour every day

If you read the article missing tests happens a bit in British Athletics

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Google same lassies comments on Nicole Cooke ......

I don't know about the UK, but in Ireland isn't it the governing bodies that actually pursue doping cases against athletes with adverse test results? Seems like highly irregular practice at the very least.

Exactly, it doesn't send out the best message

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

The concerning thing to me is not the fact she was cleared. It went through the process she wasn't to blame for first one, under the rules she is allowed to compete. Fine.

What really concerns me is that this was kept quiet until she was cleared. Yet Tiernan Locke's case and Simon Yates case were both leaked. Treating big name riders differently to other riders is never a good sign.

I would be surprised if she was dirty and hope/think she's clean, one of my favourite riders. I was delighted when she won the worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

drogdub wrote: »
    What really concerns me is that this was kept quiet until she was cleared. Yet Tiernan Locke's case and Simon Yates case were both leaked. Treating big name riders differently to other riders is never a good sign.

Maybe because there is a lot less media/public interest in women's cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

It does say why she missed the second one in the article. Family illness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The concerning thing to me is not the fact she was cleared. It went through the process she wasn't to blame for first one, under the rules she is allowed to compete. Fine.

I would be surprised if she was dirty and hope/think she's clean, one of my favourite riders. I was delighted when she won the worlds

They're all taking drugs. Every single one of them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Boskowski wrote: »
    They're all taking drugs. Every single one of them.
    More comments like that from you (or anybody else) and posting privileges will be quickly withdrawn

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

What really concerns me is that this was kept quiet until she was cleared

It wasn't just kept quiet. Stories like this were published.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/08/lizzie-armitstead-giro-rosa-cycling-illness

She was basically banned, unbeknowst to anyone, yet claimed she wasn't participating due to illness? That doesn't seem right. Even if she was launching her legal defense at that point, did she (or her advisors) really think this story would never come out? And now that it has, do they not think things look a lot worse than if they were just transparent from day one?

This could be the most innocuous series of mistakes ever, but information about the way its being handled just leaves more questions than answers.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To be "regular" the process should be independent of the sporting body which is what happened here

It also wouldn't inspire much confidence in UKAD. They send a tester to a hotel. The tester asks what room Armitstead is in without revealing why they want this information. Then they leave when they don't get it?

REALLY?

Anyone would be forgiven for not believing that story but were it to be true, is that not the most incompetent tester ever? And the fate of British athletes are in the hands of people this incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

For my own understanding of the missed tests:
    • 20 August 2015: LA was staying at a team hotel, during the UCI Women’s Road World Cup in Sweden. The UKAD Doping Control Officer was refused LA’s room number at the hotel’s reception, and attempted to call LA but her phone was on silent as she was sleeping. CAS has ruled that there was “no negligence on Armitstead’s part and that she had followed procedures according to the guidelines.”
    • 5 October 2015: Due to “a filing failure on ADAMS”. LA has stated that it was “an administrative oversight”.
    • 9 June 2016: Caused by “an emergency change of plans due to a serious illness within her family”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I was disappointed when I heard this.

Disappointed, but not surprised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm reminded of an extract from Hamilton's book about hiding on the floor when a tester came to call. He knew would be caught if test so hid. Got tested the next day and was fine.

Any time a test is missed it should be treated as a failed test. First test here might be legitimate, second one definatley not and the third is hard to tell. If she was Russian she wouldn't be going to the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

godtabh wrote: »
    If she was Russian she wouldn't be going to the Olympics.

Thats not true.. There are rules in place about 3 missed tests brought in because of people like Hamilton.

She has successfully proved in CAS she wasn't at fault for the first one so she has no case to answer. Exactly the same as if she were from Russia or from any other country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thats not true.. There are rules in place about 3 missed tests brought in because of people like Hamilton.

She has successfully proved in CAS she wasn't at fault for the first one so she has no case to answer. Exactly the same as if she were from Russia or from any other country.

I'm not sure I agree. I dont think the Russian Cycling Federation would have been allowed to support a defense in the same way it has here.

• Advertisement

The dates of the missed tests are interesting. As is her social media presence around the time.

The dates of the missed tests are interesting. As is her social media presence around the time.

The first missed test in Sweden had her posting on twitter an hour later about breakfast/wedding stuff.

I think one thing we can be certain of is that, if she were Russian (or many other nationalities), she would not be going to the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

If you are staying in a hotel, for example, then you need to add your room number to your Whereabouts or ensure that the room is booked in your name so any Doping Control Officer can locate you easily.

From the UKAD whereabouts guidelines on its website. Seems to place the onus on the athlete for ensuring his/her availability but this obviously didn't stack up legally at CAS. I still find it strange that a hotel receptionist wouldn't call through to a guest on request, but perhaps there's a policy in operation at particular hours of the day. Or why a doping officer wouldn't identify him or herself. Area needs to be tightened up to avoid any such confusion in the future.

If you are staying in a hotel, for example, then you need to add your room number to your Whereabouts or ensure that the room is booked in your name so any Doping Control Officer can locate you easily.

From the UKAD whereabouts guidelines on its website. Seems to place the onus on the athlete for ensuring his/her availability but this obviously didn't stack up legally at CAS. I still find it strange that a hotel receptionist wouldn't call through to a guest on request, but perhaps there's a policy in operation at particular hours of the day. Or why a doping officer wouldn't identify him or herself. Area needs to be tightened up to avoid any such confusion in the future.

Very interesting. Puts a negative tint on Queen Lizzie as some of her detractors in British Cycling are calling her.

I wouldn't put any blame on the hotel. They are a hotel and nothing more.

This was during the World Championships though. I'm guessing there were many athletes staying there. If the hotel had guidelines about contacting a guest, and those guidelines were going to possibly cause a 'guest' to miss a doping test, would they not relax those rules for the duration of that event?

It'd be different if she were off somewhere on her own doing a training block.

Sorry, but I'm having huge difficulty getting this to add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What do you mean?
    She was posting from where she was supposed to be ?
    or from somewhere she wasn't supposed to be?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Team GB, taking moral high ground while wallowed in the mud same as the rest.

greenspurs wrote: »
    What do you mean?
    She was posting from where she was supposed to be ?
    or from somewhere she wasn't supposed to be?

She was tweeting around the time of the missed test.

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    This was during the World Championships though. I'm guessing there were many athletes staying there. If the hotel had guidelines about contacting a guest, and those guidelines were going to possibly cause a 'guest' to miss a doping test, would they not relax those rules for the duration of that event?

It'd be different if she were off somewhere on her own doing a training block.

Sorry, but I'm having huge difficulty getting this to add up.

Not when the onus is on the rider to note which room they are staying in.

Advertisement