Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lizzie Armisted 'cleared' to ride in Rio - 3 missed doping test violations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Leroy42 wrote: »
    she has been cleared by CAS, the system therefore has deemed that she has done nothing wrong
    Not true. She still has two strikes out of three. She just hasn't done enough wrong to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 willow46

Great comments in Cycling news today from the wife of a Pro cyclist. She says no sympathy. You know the rules and it is made simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well today is the day, race starts @4.15 irish time

interesting to see how she gets on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

She's on the bbc interview right now. Seems genuine but Won't answer why she missed the last test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Back in an hour??!
    Women's race live all the way through it seems on rte news again- thankyou rte news!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

LIzzie has punctured and Pooley has shot off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Back in an hour??!
    Women's race live all the way through it seems on rte news again- thankyou rte news!!

Cheers. I had no idea was on RTE news. Flicking between that and the hurling. Go on the Deise.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    That's entirely possible. Never got the impression she wasn't well liked, but I could be entirely wrong.

kind of a 'pot, kettle, black' comment here from JV. I wouldn't be much of a fan of his so wouldn't be taking anything he says at face value. But, interesting to note that this is an opinion some might hold.

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/762284740439224320

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Wow regardless of context that's a pretty brutal statement t o make about any individual in response to what appears to be a twitter query from some randommer.
    Does Mr Vaughters have a rep for such lack of self awareness?

rtmie wrote: »
    Wow regardless of context that's a pretty brutal statement t o make about any individual in response to what appears to be a twitter query from some randommer.
    Does Mr Vaughters have a rep for such lack of self awareness?

yes, he frequently shoots from the hip.

And his description of LA is pretty much exactly how I'd describe him (having never met him, though!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

1bryan wrote: »
    kind of a 'pot, kettle, black' comment here from JV. I wouldn't be much of a fan of his so wouldn't be taking anything he says at face value. But, interesting to note that this is an opinion some might hold.

Not sure what particular insight Vaughters would have anyway. He's never been involved in women’s cycling, as far as I recall? How's he developed this well thought out opinion, or is he just jumping on the same bandwagon of "apparently not a nice person" stuff we've seen in recent weeks?

I've no idea anyway, but I'm not aware of being a nice person is a prerequisite of being a good, or a clean, sportsperson either. I'm sure plenty of nice people dope, and plenty of assholes are clean!

Macy0161 wrote: »

Not sure what particular insight Vaughters would have anyway. He's never been involved in women s cycling, as far as I recall?

A quick google returns:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11001/Jonathan-Vaughters-Interview-Slipstream-CEO-speaks-about-AA-Drink-Leontiennl-deal.aspx

However doesn't change the fact that its pretty unclassy to broadcast an ad hominem personal view like that on the twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

So he basically inherited a team with the Cervelo merger, and then shut it.

Not sure what article is being quoted here, but this does not look good.

https://twitter.com/fmk_RoI/status/762383599538700290

I can understand that emotions may be high, but confronting a journalist in this manner is unacceptable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

She rode well in the but looking at that climb was never really likely to win. Wonder in some ways why BC hyped her up so much, added pressure she probably didn't need.
    Whether she is nice or not is a non issue but may explain the lack of empathy from fellow riders.
    Remains on a knife edge with 2 missed tests and we still await the CAS reasoned decision and details of how many tests she has missed over her career, IMO that would put things in context.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RobFowl wrote: »
    She rode well in the but looking at that climb was never really likely to win. Wonder in some ways why BC hyped her up so much, added pressure she probably didn't need.
    Was it BC or the British media? Same with Froome, he was never going to do well.

I amazed my family by being able to pick winners from the finishers in both mens a womens races until I gave away the secret of picking the rider with the beefiest forearms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The British media love to hype things (no more than most national media with local interests)

Lumen wrote: »
    Was it BC or the British media?

definitely BC

The daily telegraph were knives out for lizzie since the story broke.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    So he basically inherited a team with the Cervelo merger, and then shut it.

So it seems. Point is they may have had previous specific interaction in what would have been a fraught situation on both sides, he may have formed a view from that, but is it right/fair to broadcast that personal view on twitter unprompted and in response to a specific question he acknowledged he had no insight on.
    To say the least not very classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I heard an interesting story about a British swimmer and the length (pun not intended) he went to in order to make sure that he didn't miss a possible anti-doping test. It was discussed on Newstalk's Off the Ball Sunday Paper Review section (around 56 minutes 50 seconds in). Former swimmer Gary O'Toole brought up the story, which he had heard on a BBC 5 Live podcast.

British swimmer Michael Jamieson had entered on the 'Whereabouts' system that on a particular Wednesday that he would at the pool between 6-7am (so if UKAD wanted to test him, he would be there). He had a training session on the Tuesday night, it went very well, and his coach told him to take Wednesday morning off. However it was too late for Jamieson to update his location on the Whereabouts system (the location cannot be updated in the 8 hours preceding your nominated time seemingly). So, at 5.30 am or whenever, he rolled out of bed, went to the pool, twiddled his thumbs for an hour, and then went back to bed (no UKAD official turned up).

That's what Jamieson did to make sure that he didn't incur a missed test. And the odds would have been very low that a UKAD official would have actually turned up to conduct a test anyway!!

When you look at Armistead's situation, it's inexcusable that she currently has two missed doping tests in less than 12 months on her record.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I heard an interesting story about a British swimmer and the length (pun not intended) he went to in order to make sure that he didn't miss a possible anti-doping test. It was discussed on Newstalk's Off the Ball Sunday Paper Review section (around 56 minutes 50 seconds in). Former swimmer Gary O'Toole brought up the story, which he had heard on a BBC 5 Live podcast.

I heard a story about a certain athlete who shall remain nameless, he had over 20 London addressed registered with the AD authorities and skipped through them all to avoid testing.
    Was a few years ago and explains why the insist on updated and accurate locations.

Again I feel if we knew how many tests LA had missed over the years we would know better whether this was a bad series of unfortunate events or a tendency to avoid tests....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Again I feel if we knew how many tests LA had missed over the years we would know better whether this was a bad series of unfortunate events or a tendency to avoid tests....
    If the latter I would have thought she would have appealed that first "miss" straight up

Beasty wrote: »
    If the latter I would have thought she would have appealed that first "miss" straight up

I thought she did? Albeit not that forcefully.

Thought I read that she sent in a letter giving her explanation but it was rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Not sure what article is being quoted here, but this does not look good.
    https://twitter.com/fmk_RoI/status/762383599538700290
    I can understand that emotions may be high, but confronting a journalist in this manner is unacceptable.

Its from an article in the Telegraph, it was also
    mentioned in an article in the Guardian as well.

https://twitter.com/fmk_RoI
    And the man who was the focus of it
    Who is to blame for that? She has tried to point to a UKAD tester and a family emergency and on Sunday, here on Copacabana, her parents and other supporters were in no rush to recognise the responsibility that ultimately rested on her shoulders as a professional athlete, a world champion no less.

She did an interview yesterday after the race where reporter said she had a few sleepless nights in the build up to this race and responses on twitter were ripping the pi$$ out of her ...why wasn't her phone on silent. The air of suspicion around her is all her own doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

What is it with the initials LA?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Hungrycol wrote: »
    What is it with the initials LA?! :rolleyes:

LA is full of dopes, allegedly!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Mmmm ... I imagine that if, when the decision is finally published, we find that she's missed 3/3, or 3/4 tests in the last 12 months, the sh*t storm around BCs behaviour in this case will reignite, & justifiably so !

Given we know that BC actually assigned someone specifically to manage LA's ADAMs data, I'm fully expecting we discover that she's missed almost all her OOC tests in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Eh, yeah you do :-)

DSC_0113_zpsxbjmv7pu.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Borderfox wrote: »
    Eh, yeah you do :-)

DSC_0113_zpsxbjmv7pu.jpg

How many brands can you see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

So it seems. Point is they may have had previous specific interaction in what would have been a fraught situation on both sides, he may have formed a view from that, but is it right/fair to broadcast that personal view on twitter unprompted and in response to a specific question he acknowledged he had no insight on.
    To say the least not very classy.

It is quite ironic that Vaughters has quite the reputation of being a complete d*** himself. Apparently he has horrible people management skills and there are many riders who left his team with bad blood. Remember when he wouldn't pick riders for races because they were leaving or not telling riders that their contracts were not being renewed. Hushovd absolutely loathed him and was desperate to get away from his team. He does not sound like a good manager.

I have met Philip Deignan briefly a few times and he seemed like a decent skin but that tweet was out of order but then when its personal, the gloves can come off.

Advertisement