Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lizzie Armisted 'cleared' to ride in Rio - 3 missed doping test violations

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

did anyone hear PJ Nolan and Declan Quigley on rte radio 1 last night talking about the cycling races?

PJ Nolan spoke like he also works for British Cycling such was his support for Dizzy Lizzie - he couldn't see an issue with the first missed test or even the other two tests- the fact that the tester tried to ring her beacuse she hadn't provided her room number - how CAS overturned that one is a mystery

omerta is alive and well within the cycling community - keep the faith like David Millar and you continue to reap the benefits - speak out like Landis and your a parasite

PJ knows how to play the game

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I know a lot of the furore has died down over this by now, probably helped in no small part by the fact that LA didn't medal.

But, in hindsight, it does now look like the media were disproportionately harsh on her. Whereas I think a lot of the criticism was fair, and the questions asked were valid, you would have to wonder why she came in for the attention she did whereas other athletes seem to have a teflon outer shield.

An interesting comparison I saw was with Mo Farah who has proven connections with suspicious (in one case), and proven dirty (in another case) coaches. He's also missed 2 tests, yet, other than some pressing from an Irish journalist, and now a Daily Mail piece from Matt Lawton, he seems to be getting an easy ride.

I'm not saying he should be treated more harshly or not. I'm just pointing out that, if Mo is being treated by the british media as a good news story, given the questions about him, theres no way Lizzie should have gotten the treatment she did. I'm pleased for her that she got her new contract, despite everything, and I'm sure the lesson's will have been learned.

The olympics seem to obscure rational thought though. Its very difficult to believe a lot of what you see, but the blindness caused by national pride seems to make any doubts go away.

The olympics are a nonsense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

1bryan wrote: »
    The olympics are a nonsense really.
    Ironic as it may seem, cycling is the one olympic sport I actually have the most faith in believing what I'm seeing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Andalucia wrote: »
    did anyone hear PJ Nolan and Declan Quigley on rte radio 1 last night talking about the cycling races?

omerta is alive and well within the cycling community - keep the faith like David Millar and you continue to reap the benefits - speak out like Landis and your a parasite

I was shot down on this forum a while back for suggesting omerta in cycling and that anyone still associated with it is unwilling to speak out harshly against dopers as it will affect there future earnings.

I see Lizzy was dropped from the GCN cycling shorts intro she was doing. Such a pity. She really looked GLOWING in that clip

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was shot down on this forum a while back for suggesting omerta in cycling and that anyone still associated with it is unwilling to speak out harshly against dopers as it will affect there future earnings.

I see Lizzy was dropped from the GCN cycling shorts intro she was doing. Such a pity. She really looked GLOWING in that clip

It will be interesting to see if she is on GCN tomorrow. It just happens that they had a good bit from Dan Craven (who they like a lot).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

She got I feel a fair level of questioning and scrutiny from the media.
    Mo has been questioned by the non UK media but the BBC esp has positioned itself as cheerleader in chief so only questions dirty foreigners.
    As LA herself said she now has a permanent shadow over her career and that is something she will have to deal with.
    Mo will probably bluster his was through and be quietly dumped by UKA once he stops winning ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

RobFowl wrote: »
    As LA herself said she now has a permanent shadow over her career and that is something she will have to deal with.
    Her acceptance of that, and reaction to it, probably makes me believe it was more of a feck up tbh. Most dopers brazen it out (including Landis for the first few years - I assume he did repay the money's he got in for the defence fund he set up for himself to fight the charges as he isn't in the nick!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

There was a great post over on another cycling forum by a very cynical but British poster in relation to the whole thing.
    The jist of it is that the higher the profile of the athlete and the more 'God like' status they have they will be 'protected' in order to save a sports or nations reputation regardless of what fingers are pointing where.
    It's just seems that LA doesn't seem to have that ' protection'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

koutoubia wrote: »
    There was a great post over on another cycling forum by a very cynical but British poster in relation to the whole thing.
    The jist of it is that the higher the profile of the athlete and the more 'God like' status they have they will be 'protected' in order to save a sports or nations reputation regardless of what fingers are pointing where.

I think she was close to it and there was a fine line between some one wanting to take her down and some one wanting to protect her.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

koutoubia wrote: »

Well, like anything, sport is a product, and its easier to sell your product if you have the top athletes participating.

Conspiracy theorists will purport that this is the reason why suspicion of complicity by organising bodies, exists. And they may not be too wide of the mark.

The other consideration is sponsors. Look at who Farrah's chief sponsor is, and consider some of the stories that have been circulating about how they wish to 'exert their influence'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement