Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Fit Question

Options
  • 02-08-2016 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Long story short, 2 years ago I was 74.5kg and very flexible and my bike was set up appropriately - for speed. I'm now 103kg and can only last 20/30 minutes on my bike before getting off in agony. The thoughts of getting on it now have put me off even doing that for the last 6 months.

So, I need a fit for comfort now, am I right in saying that I need to make myself less stretched out? As in drop the saddle a bit, push forward the saddle. Will this help? Also less tyre pressure - might this help? Should I just get re-fitted? Frank in Richie's in Swords usually fits me but I'm mortified to go back although I will if people think it's the best option for me.

I'm really yearning now to get back at it so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I was about 103kg at the start of the year and having been fitted for the road bike when I was around 86kg it definitely wasn't as comfortable so I stuck to the hybrid until I'd shifted about ten kilos and it did make a difference.

I'm sure a refit would have helped but the hybrid was the easier option, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I don't think adjusting your saddle position makes any sense at all - being a little heavier doesn't change the length of your legs/arms/torso so those ratios shouldn't change! If you feel stretched you could consider shortening the stem or raising the bars a little but you would probably (as you suggest) be better getting re-fitted before messing around with things!
    Easier said than done I know, but I would suggest just getting out on the bike starting with 20-30 minutes and building up from there - you'll feel so much better in no time and wonder why you ever stopped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Frank in Richie's in Swords usually fits me but I'm mortified to go back although I will if people think it's the best option for me.

Why be morto? You've put on weight, and now you want to cycle it off again, that's all. Frank will be on the spot and see your needs; he knows your style and has fitted you successfully before. If it were me, I'd go straight back to the person who helped before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hi guys. Long story short, 2 years ago I was 74.5kg and very flexible and my bike was set up appropriately - for speed. I'm now 103kg and can only last 20/30 minutes on my bike before getting off in agony. The thoughts of getting on it now have put me off even doing that for the last 6 months.

So, I need a fit for comfort now, am I right in saying that I need to make myself less stretched out? As in drop the saddle a bit, push forward the saddle. Will this help? Also less tyre pressure - might this help? Should I just get re-fitted? Frank in Richie's in Swords usually fits me but I'm mortified to go back although I will if people think it's the best option for me.

I'm really yearning now to get back at it so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Can't offer much advise on fit apart from... Saddle position is a constant. Don't move it forward, down etc.. to adjust stack and reach, that should be all done on the handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Cheers lads for the comments. I think I'll ring Frank today so and just bite the bullet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Cheers lads for the comments. I think I'll ring Frank today so and just bite the bullet.

Great. If it's any help of a thought, I'm 57kg and my healthy weight would be 50kg. I'm staring hard at those guilty 7kg. Grr.

Incidentally, a bike diet:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/training/lose-weight-cycling-lighter-faster-four-weeks-266755

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Chuchote wrote: »
    Great. If it's any help of a thought, I'm 57kg and my healthy weight would be 50kg. I'm staring hard at those guilty 7kg. Grr.

Incidentally, a bike diet:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/training/lose-weight-cycling-lighter-faster-four-weeks-266755

Cheers, thanks for that!

Advertisement