Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working on the 2017 IFAS astro calendar

Options
  • 02-08-2016 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope you had a nice Bank Holiday weekend.

I got stuck into doing up the IFAS calendar over the last few days and now have it well on the way towards completion. The astronomical data was actually prepared last Februrary because of a publisher deadline on the notes I do for Whitakers Almanac. Spaceflight dates and events are from more recent digging about.

A draft version of the 2017 calendar can be downloaded from the link below.

www.dropbox.com/s/6lqu6rznbj1fskj/IFAS2017.pdf?dl=1

Still have to finish the following:
    • monthly notes (February's is complete as an example of how they will look)
    • celestial highlights to be summarised on page 2
    • tabular data to be added on page 3
    • images (and their captions just underneath each on the same page) to be added for the printed version
    • update event dates and mission launches over the next couple of months as the details get more refined
    The IFAS board http://www.irishastronomy.org/ has a thread where we are trying to gauge the interest in a printed version. It will retail for a bit more than the 2015 printed edition unfortunately due to increased production and postage costs. However, we will still post up the pdf (without the images) for FREE download. :D

Feel free to post up any suggestions, questions, or comments,

John

P.S., the cover photo on the calendar is of the annular solar eclipse of May 31st, 2003 which we saw from Durness in northern Scotland. I used a 200mm lens and 100 ASA slide film on a Zenith camera. A friend of mine, Paul Tipper, is in the foreground and is observing the event with his 80-mm Short-tube refractor equipped with a glass solar filter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

You better make it snow this year John cuz that no pic calendar is

No coming back here in November with no calendar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it needs to have Bank Holidays, clocks go forward, Moon quarters.

And novelty days, like Picnic day, world animal day and all the stuff....like the browntrout calendars.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Hi all,

A newer version (1.6Mb) is now available from https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6ext0ain7qadkt/IFAS2017.pdf?dl=1

I was away for a few days but had the latest draft done on Wednesday night ... it got a bit crazy on Thursday before travelling so I'm only getting to upload it now.

The diary dates are more or less complete bar events/science festivals/etc that may be scheduled for 2017. It's too early for some of those dates to be announced. Also, the mission launch dates will probably change but we can revise those closer to publication date.

Based on some feedback, I'm going to include tabular data in the pdf version. The above draft gives an idea what this will be: Rise/set times on the 1st, 15th, and 30th of the month for the Sun, Moon, and planets. Hours of darkness, lunar phases, and planet phenomena.

Pi Day, Towel Day, Earth Hour, Bank Holidays, and more, are also included :)

It looks like a minimum of 25 copies in total are required to make it viable to print the calendar.

I'm away again mid-month so there will be a lull on the calendar work for a couple of weeks from now.

John

jfSDAS wrote: »
    Rise/set times on the 1st, 15th, and 30th of the month for the Sun, Moon, and planets. Hours of darkness, lunar phases, and planet phenomena.

Pi Day, Towel Day, Earth Hour, Bank Holidays, and more, are also included :)
    woo hoo, this stuff makes a calendar. I've been buying browntrout for years cuz it sticks in all this stuff. The more the better.

Browntrout calendar page (with the dates) is 12x12 inch and the (great) pic is the same size above it. Glossy paper.

What size you aiming for?
    jfSDAS wrote: »
    It looks like a minimum of 25 copies in total are required to make it viable to print the calendar.
    You'd imagine no problem selling that but I wouldn't be ordering on the back of support from this forum.

What price you aiming for?

• Advertisement

What price you aiming for?

€8 delivered I see. Thats grand, I probably get 4 at that price (discount....cough), a proper good calendar is a good pressie even!

I see you might be using the pics from last year, I forget what they looked like but I remember thinking their was a few to many nebula type pics in it, you know the stuff from Hubble, swirling stuff, maybe I'm wrong.

Needs a good variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Hi all,

The FREE edition of the IFAS Calendar for 2017 is now available as a 735Kb pdf for download.

It does not include the photos taken by IFAS members but these will appear in a printed edition of the calendar which will be available for purchase (details to be announced during October on the IFAS site www.irishastronomy.org).

The pdf contains extra pages with various useful tables of data.

Drop me a note if you see any errors and I'll make the corrections.

Grab your copy of the 2017 calendar now at https://www.dropbox.com/s/scvrsyl3zs9h74w/IFASCalendar2017.pdf?dl=1

Clear skies!

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Any sign of this??

Link above says their was only 100 printed in the end, not a word how you go about getting one except going to Dunsink on the 2nd December???? What happened? Why no link to buy or preorder or?????

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Details on ordering the calendar along with prices on the IFAS forum.

There are about 10 left at this stage.

• Advertisement

Details on ordering the calendar along with prices on the IFAS forum.

There are about 10 left at this stage.

What sorta pics are in it? You should have put up an example month - with pic and dates. Why did you not update in here?

Ah...

Advertisement