Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect vs Draughtsman vs Engineer

Options
  • 02-08-2016 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So im in the early stage of a self build and I have found a plan of a house online that pretty much matches exactly what i want.

So im wondering if there is a need to get an architect now?

Can i pay an engineer or draughtsman to draw this up for me based on the website, at a cheaper rate than what an Architect would?

Also, in this situation, am i losing anything by not using an architect?

Thanks
    Neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Get some professional advice. The shape of the site and orientation has a large impact on design. Position of rooms to maximise morning light/evening light etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭bemak

architects add 'added value' by seeing opportunities to maximise what you have while also giving you exactly what you need - which can sometimes be very different to what you want!

for example, if you get an architect on board they might suggest reworking some of the existing house and make that work harder for you and in turn this might end up reducing the size of the extension that you need thus saving you money!

Advertisement