Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Tour accom...

Options
  • 02-08-2016 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

I decided yesterday to get a spot in this year's SKT.
    Havent fully decided if I will go down but I reckon I will if I get a pass from herself.
    The last two times I've been down I've stayed at the Old Imperial in Youghal, which is very nice and a good location to get to Dungarvan from early Sunday.
    But as I've left it late it now appears booked out.
    Anyone aware of somewhere worth checking out in Dungarvan and/or Youghal?
    Other option might be to drive down on the morning, but I don't fancy such an early start.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Got lucky and got a b&b very close to Dungarvan town.
    Rang and she had a room booked but they hadn't sent on a deposit so she said I could have it if I sent a postal order. Job done.
    The moral of the story is, pay your deposits folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just registered the weekend gone looks like the whole place is booked out Saturday night..........

Just registered the weekend gone looks like the whole place is booked out Saturday night..........

Try Youghal mate, its a handy 20 minute drive to Dungarvan on the morning of the event.
    I actually booked a place called Evergreen House B&B, looks a bit grim and doesn't get great reviews, but was only €50 and would do for a night I reckon.
    I rang the B&B in Dungarvan on the off-chance after booking the Evergreen, and got lucky. So cancelled the Evergreen.
    Apparently the girls who run the Evergreen do the breakfast in their pj's, which may or may not be a selling point for you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

There is a few b&b in Ballymacarbary which is 20mins in the other direction towards Clonmel.

terrydel wrote: »
    Try Youghal mate, its a handy 20 minute drive to Dungarvan on the morning of the event.
    I actually booked a place called Evergreen House B&B, looks a bit grim and doesn't get great reviews, but was only €50 and would do for a night I reckon.
    I rang the B&B in Dungarvan on the off-chance after booking the Evergreen, and got lucky. So cancelled the Evergreen.
    Apparently the girls who run the Evergreen do the breakfast in their pj's, which may or may not be a selling point for you! :p

Want to leave the car at base and cycle to the start.....dont want to add too many km's to the 160......
    I found a few ill throw up the link when i have confirmed a booking.....

USP for the evergreen.....:cool: Anyone got pictures of the proprietors :D:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

dahat wrote: »
    There is a few b&b in Ballymacarbary which is 20mins in the other direction towards Clonmel.

The two well known ones,
    *Glasha Farmhouse
    * Hanora's cottage
    are probably booked out. Both do really good evening meals, neither are cheap, but you won't be hungry!

There is a B&B halfway up Power's the Pot climb which may have availability, she's not on internet afaik. It'd be 30 min drive, but really nice if remote location

Turns out the ones that were free online are all booked....
    Ah might just stay the Sunday....enjoy the post spin beers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

i'm from down that neck of the woods. the prevailing winds means the cycle from youghal is normally wind assisted to Dungarvan - it's really good roads and you'll quickly be down. there's plenty of b&bs and hotels in youghal but saturday night is busy so be careful where you stay. ask whether any event is on!

However, it's a steady drag to the Ring fingerpost for 20 minutes so you'll be in a sweat before you descent to Dungarvan. The after all your days activities, you do have to climb back out of Dungarvan (6%) average for 15 minutes against that same wind !

Turns out the ones that were free online are all booked....
    Ah might just stay the Sunday....enjoy the post spin beers

A mate of mine finally agreed to do it with me yesterday, so he's taking the spare bed in my room. Otherwise I'd have happily offered it to you.
    Give Youghal a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I'm living just outside Knockanore, and my family is from Ardmore, I should organise a portaloo on some of the brothers land and have a boards camping site going!

Is all the accommodation around Ardmore and Old parish booked up? Ardmore is maybe a 6km uphill pull and the rest is downhill into Dungarvan, not a nice spin back though. I'm not sure is there any places to stay there, but Aglish used to have a place, and that is a handy spin as it is mostly flat. From memory there is a place somewhere along the N72 between the welcome Inn and Cappoquin too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

bound to be a few b & b's available on the outskirts, around Ring, Colligan, etc

or even in Waterford, only 30 mins drive on the main road

try http://www.bandbireland.com/

or ring Dungarvan Tourist Office 058 41741

Or Waterford Sports Partnership 076 110 2194

plenty of old school not yet on the world wide web, crazy as it may seem

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

As suggested by Andalusia,Waterford City 30 minutes easy drive from Dungarvan, plenty of b+b,s and Hotels lots of choice for food and drink after your cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I can tell you where not to stay, there's B&B in Cappoquin that used to be one of the more infamous Industrial Schools, I booked there one year, not realising, and when beds were scarce and my wife and kids walked in and walked right out again.....

Lads and ladies, the Old Imperial in Youghal very kindly just rang me to say they had a cancellation so have a room free for the Saturday.
    If you need a room and ring quickly you might get it.
    Lovely hotel, really good breakfast and nice food in the restaurant if you are staying the Saturday or Sunday evening. I've stayed here the last 2 times I've done the SKT and would have stayed again had they had a room at the time I tried.
    Very impressed that they called to notify me, bloody good service that.
    Hopefully this helps someone out - The Noble Nudge - you might give it a bash mate. Easy spin in the morning up to Dungarvan.

Advertisement