Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi for 7 year old?

Options
  • 02-08-2016 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm extremely unfamiliar with Sushi, all I know is that it's raw fish and / or rice.
    My 7 year old niece would really like to try it.

Is there anything I should be aware of?

I was thinking I'd bring her to the sushi bar in Dundrum Shopping Centre.

All thoughts or recommendations appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Sushi is not all raw fish/rice. Sashimi is the raw stuff.

I recommend trying a California roll (crab, mayo, avocado), Salmon roll and maybe Ebi tempura roll (prawn). None of these will have anything raw in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Agh. Now I want sushi :) Yo Sushi seems like a great choice for a first trip for a 7 year old, nice big selection and you have the coolness of the belt moving dishes by you :)

I think if I was bringing a 7 year old for their first try I'd be wary of nigiri & sashimi, those are the ones that will have a piece of raw fish either by itself (sashimi) or on top of rice (nigiri). Your niece might be all over that but if it's her first go it could be a bit intimidating.

One of the most 'fishy' tasting parts of sushi, to me anyways, is the seaweed that some rolls are wrapped in. It's called 'Nori' so 'norimaki' rolls (sushi wrapped in seaweed) might be very strong tasting for a first go. Could be worth a go though!

Edamame is a lot of fun to eat. The california roll or hoisin duck rolls might be nice 'intro' sushi for your niece too.

Oh - and the little green ball of mala at the side of your tray is wasabi and it is very very hot with a mustard burn. It's lovely mixed into soy sauce but it has a proper heat to it and not advised to just snack down on the whole ball if you're not used to it. The paler slices beside that are pickled ginger and are nice to cleanse your palette between dishes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Sushi is not all raw fish/rice. Sashimi is the raw stuff.

I recommend trying a California roll (crab, mayo, avocado), Salmon roll and maybe Ebi tempura roll (prawn). None of these will have anything raw in them.

sashimi is the raw fish on its own. loads of sushi have raw fish, nigiri and loads of varieties of maki would have it also.

OP, go for it. the fun with yo sushi is she can pick and choose what she likes as the belt goes around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

I'm extremely unfamiliar with Sushi, all I know is that it's raw fish and / or rice.
    My 7 year old niece would really like to try it.

Is there anything I should be aware of?

All thoughts or recommendations appreciated!

I'd start her with with nigiri or sashimi and then work toward anything that contains seaweed wrap. Seaweed is definitely an acquired taste so kids may not take to it at first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Oh - and the little green ball of mala at the side of your tray is wasabi and it is very very hot with a mustard burn. It's lovely mixed into soy sauce

Nooooooooooooo. Sthap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

SB_Part2 wrote: »

Any fish in sushi is raw.

I was in Japan recently and the kids there all live off the stuff. Smart kids too, so I imagine it's only a good thing.

Start things with cooked fish. Nigiri with prawns tend to be cooked. Seaweed isn't that strong, egg, cucumber or california rolls would be great introduction pieces too.

mrcheez wrote: »

Well that's certainly not true.

Nooooooooooooo. Sthap.

To upset you further - when I go to Kokoro I am the person buying the wasabi mayo and dunking their sushi in...

To upset you further - when I go to Kokoro I am the person buying the wasabi mayo and dunking their sushi in...

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Well that's certainly not true.

OK not all fish (e.g. crabsticks), but something like salmon would generally be raw or smoked in sushi.

There are vegetarian varieties of sushi too which the kid could try first.

OK not all fish (e.g. crabsticks), but something like salmon would generally be raw or smoked in sushi.

There are vegetarian varieties of sushi too which the kid could try first.

There are actually lots of sushi pieces with cooked fish.

I've never actually tried Kokoro. Is it worth the visit? I'd always end up in musashi on Capel Street when in that area.

I've never actually tried Kokoro. Is it worth the visit? I'd always end up in musashi on Capel Street when in that area.

If you'll take the word of a soy sauce polluter & mayo dunker, it's lovely :D It's my favourite place to go for casual, sit in the window & gawp at passers by sushi. I don't think it's as good as Musashi & everything is pre-prepared, so you're picking a tray or making up your own tray from their fridge but I really very much enjoy it there. Also, their miso is awesome. There is a thread over on the Dublin City forum though where the people don't rate it, so chances are that I don't have an educated sushi palette

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

It is OK to start a child on raw fish; most is mild and not very fishy at all. Plain tuna (fatty tuna would be wasted on a beginner and spicy tuna is too hot), plain salmon, plain shrimp, plain surimi ("crab" stick) with cucumber, cream cheese, avocado, carrot, or other mild additions. If the child likes the flavor of Chinese food, and the sushi place has it, sushi with eel is cooked and has a nice sweet teriyaki flavor, and salmon skin has a salty, fishy crunchiness that is very nice. I am not a huge fan of the little egg omelet or the sweetened fried tofu pockets (though I like eggs and tofu perfectly well in other dishes). Tempura sushi is interesting but it is better left until you know what normal sushi is. Spicy and oniony things might not be good to start with.

Always mix just a touch of the wasabi paste into a spoonful of soy sauce in the little dish meant for it, and dip just the edge in. If you have sushi that is a rice ball topped with a piece of fish, dip only the top surface of the piece of fish. That will help get just the right amount of wasabi and prevent the sting. On the other hand, you may find your child becomes a chilihead or a wasabihead (I happen to have been both from an early age, lol).

The first time I ever had sushi, the chef wrapped a bit of nori (the sheet seaweed) around a bit of rice just so I could try the base flavour and understand the contrast with the fillings. It's a good, cheap way for a beginner to start, and is a common lunch on its own in Japan (as onigiri, rice balls with a bit of nori pressed into them).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ellejay wrote:

I see lots of kids using that bar.

In my experience kids love sushi and aren't concerned in the slightest about the raw fish aspect. It's far more likely to be adults who are nervous - and presumably some children pick up on that and decide there's something dodgy about it.

Just go for it. As others have said Yo Sushi is a good call as you choose what you take and if they don't like one particular plate it isn't the end of the world. Be positive about the experience and all will be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah was in Tokyo recently and wasabi is added to the sushi when making the rolls.

Most sushi in Dublin is rubbish though so there isn't much of a step up between Kokoro and Musashi.

Dylan Mcgrath's place is probably the highlight.

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah was in Tokyo recently and wasabi is added to the sushi when making the rolls.

Most sushi in Dublin is rubbish though so there isn't much of a step up between Kokoro and Musashi.

Dylan Mcgrath's place is probably the highlight.

Has Michie Sushi in Ranelagh taken a dive in quality? used to absolutely love that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thank you all for replies.

That's really very very helpful.
    She actually asked a couple of times to try the YO Sushi but I said no due to my own ignorance.

Sushi here we come!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Has Michie Sushi in Ranelagh taken a dive in quality? used to absolutely love that place.

I only ate in the one out in Dun Laoghaire and was disgusted when they gave me tinned tuna and salmon in their €30 set.

RasTa wrote: »
    I only ate in the one out in Dun Laoghaire and was disgusted when they gave me tinned tuna and salmon in their €30 set.

wow, fair enough!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

sashimi is the raw fish on its own. loads of sushi have raw fish, nigiri and loads of varieties of maki would have it also.

OP, go for it. the fun with yo sushi is she can pick and choose what she likes as the belt goes around.
    Yes what I meant is that not all sushi has raw fish but all sashimi does.

I was in Japan recently and the kids there all live off the stuff. Smart kids too, so I imagine it's only a good thing.

In the examples I gave there wouldn't usually be raw fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My kids love Sushi, I make the Maki rolls at home, can't be bothered doing anything different as they are so easy and go down so well.
    I usually make Smoked salmon and cucumber and slices of the long sweet red pepper.
    Crab sticks (surimi) and avocado and carrot Julienned in long strips.
    A can of the Latvian salmon roe is great in them as well.
    Furikaki seed mix and Wasabi and Kikkoman are the complements.
    I'd usually use 2 packs of Nori Clearspring only has 7 sheets but the ones from Supervalu have 10.
    I very rarely have any left over!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd love my boys to try sushi. It'll be a 'lads trip' though. Mrs B is very picky when it comes to fish & I wouldn't want her to put them off. Plaice & chips is about as adventurous as she gets. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

First Up wrote: »
    I see lots of kids using that bar.
    I have too, I was surprised since I presumed kids would be more fussy.
    ellejay wrote: »
    She actually asked a couple of times to try the YO Sushi but I said no due to my own ignorance!
    Their website is pretty good, shows all the stuff

https://yosushi.com/food#all

when you hover over the graphic image of the food it turns into a photo of the same dish.

Advertisement