Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back tyre puncture

Options
  • 02-08-2016 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

The back tyre on my bike keeps punturing every few weeks . I only use it commuting to work and it's becoming a hinderance now.

Any reasons why it keeps happening. The roads im travelling aren't great but im not going over potholes or anything .

Would a full service help to see if there is an issue with the spokes ? Or maybe i dont have the tyres pumped up enough ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

TheNap wrote: »
    The back tyre on my bike keeps punturing every few weeks . I only use it commuting to work and it's becoming a hinderance now.

Any reasons why it keeps happening. The roads im travelling aren't great but im not going over potholes or anything .

Would a full service help to see if there is an issue with the spokes ? Or maybe i dont have the tyres pumped up enough ?

What pressure are you pumping the tyre up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

What kind of punctures are they - snakebites or holes?

Are you sure that there is nothing on your rim that could be rubbing against the tube and wearing it down? Or some glass stuck in your tyre that punctures the tube when it gets a lucky bounce?

Or a hole in your tyre that doesn't cause problems unless you roll over a stone that fits in the hole perfectly?

And of course, pump the tyres up frequently. I do mine at least once a week and get surprised at how the pressure decreases over the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

jinkypolly wrote: »
    What pressure are you pumping the tyre up to?

They've done it themselves in the shop . Any opinion on getting purchase resistance tyres ?

Correct inflation is the first thing I would check. A trackpump with a gauge is a huge help with this.

You will also need to check the pressure frequently!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

They've done it themselves in the shop . Any opinion on getting purchase resistance tyres ?

You should start repairing your own punctures and get a track pump with gauge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

If you never want to have a puncture, Tannus tyres are the only option. They cannot be punctured, well worth the 2x price, for me as a commuter.

sullivlo wrote: »
    What kind of punctures are they - snakebites or holes?

Are you sure that there is nothing on your rim that could be rubbing against the tube and wearing it down? Or some glass stuck in your tyre that punctures the tube when it gets a lucky bounce?

Or a hole in your tyre that doesn't cause problems unless you roll over a stone that fits in the hole perfectly?

And of course, pump the tyres up frequently. I do mine at least once a week and get surprised at how the pressure decreases over the week.

Thanks i will keep them pumped from now on . They've replaced the tube and tyre a couple of times so doubt it was due to something stuck in there .

boardbeer wrote: »
    If you never want to have a puncture, Tannus tyres are the only option. They cannot be punctured, well worth the 2x price, for me as a commuter.

Cheers i will look into that now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Thanks i will keep them pumped from now on . They've replaced the tube and tyre a couple of times so doubt it was due to something stuck in there .
    Could it be a nick in the rim so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

So are you saying that between the shop pumping the tyres for the repair, and each subsequent puncture, you have not pumped the tyres at all? If so, then all but guaranteed you are getting snakebites due to inadequate pressure in the tyre, and the tube getting pinched by the rim.

Again, if the above is true, and the recurrent punctures have persisted through replacement of tyre and tube, I'd be thinking pressure. Yes, it's still possible there's an issue with the rim, but this is where being able to replace your own tubes is invaluable - I always try to identify where the hole in the tube is (how far from the valve, and tyre or rim side), and the nature of it (snake bite, failed valve joint, etc.) before installing a new one as it allows me to focus my checks on a smaller section of tyre, or in the case of a snakebite, not waste undue time on checking the tyre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

This happened me three times in a short space of time. It ended up being the tyre wall, it had a tiny little slice in it on the inside which kept nicking the tyre when I went over a bump. If you get anothe, try to identify where in the tyre the puncture is by lining up the tube, and then very carefully examine the tyre at that point, squeeze it etc.

Also, learn to fix punctures, its very easy and cheap and quick, and means you are not wothout your bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I would have issues with a bike shop that repeatedly replaces tyre and tube without investigating the cause. They should be checking the punctured tube and explaining to the customer about inflation pressure and such where a snakebite is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Yep, correct tyre inflation. I check my tyres every time I go out on the road with a track pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So the only times the wheels ever get pumped up is following a puncture? That's your problem. You need to ensure the tyres are inflated correctly at least every 3 or 4 days when using the bike every day. Soft tyres are prone to pinch flats and no amount of new tyres or tubes is going combat that if you don't regularly pump the tyres.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

OP I used to be in the same boat - a combination of tyre pressure being a bit low, and not changing my tyres enough.

Thanks for the replies.

I will now pump my tyres regularly to the correct pressure and hopefully that stops the problem.

Looking back it seems stupid i wasn't doing it but when you are using it only for commuting you tend to overlook doing these basics.

And yes its quite annoying the bike repair shop didnt once mention this to me . I asked them why it was happening so frequently and they said there is nothing i can do and must be going over potholes .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...try to identify where in the tyre the puncture is by lining up the tube.....
    +1

Always fit the tyre so that the tyre brand's logo is over the valve. This makes it much easier to align the puncture site in the tube with the area of the tyre which covered the puncture site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

+1

Always fit the tyre so that the tyre brand's logo is over the valve. This makes it much easier to align the puncture site in the tube with the area of the tyre which covered the puncture site.

Also it's in the rules :pac:
    Rule #40 wrote:

Tires are to be mounted with the label centered over the valve stem.

Pro mechanics do it because it makes it easier to find the valve. You do this because that’s the way pro mechanics do it. This will save you precious seconds while your fat ass sits on the roadside fumbling with your CO2 after a flat. It also looks better for photo opportunities. Note: This obviously only applies to clinchers as tubulars don’t give you a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Town/city roads are filled with glass.

Even with the correct pressure, some tiny bits will work their way into tyres. A problem with the wheel/tyre/tube is possible too, but glass is the no.1 culprit.

My advice:
    1. Puncture resident tyres for commuting are a blessing ( especially on the back) - plenty of good options
    2. Never go back to that bike shop - they're either incompetent or happy to milk you.
    3. Get a repair kit and levers - a fraction of the cost and easy.
    4. Get a pump - you need it. A track pump will save you a lot of hassle. Use it at least every few weeks.

Having said all that, what kind of bike is it and where are you cycling?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If it's always the same wheel there's a possibility it's a rim issue. Alternatively there may be something embedded in the tyre causing punctures that you cannot see.

That's something you can check by swapping the tyres between front and back wheels. If you continue getting them on the back it's probably the rim. If you start getting them on the front it's the tyre. If you stop getting them altogether you're sorted....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

I had a situation about a year ago..constantly puncturing... correct pressure.. Good tyres.. nothing stuck in the tyres... was alligning the tubes ... to see if same place. Drove me mad...tyres were fine...rim was fine.. spokes were fine.... eventually came to the conclusion that it had to be the rim tape. LBS said rim tape was okay...punctured again.. got a lift to LBS..changed rim tape front and back..problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Me too - not using high pressure rim tape. The pressure was too high for the tape and the tube was herniating into the spoke holes - every so often, bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Cycling with a group once and one guy repeatedly punctured on steep downhills. After going through 3 or 4 tubes, we spotted that his rear brakes weren't properly aligned and one brake block was cutting into the sidewall of the tyre. Fitting a boot to the tyre and adjusting the brakes sorted the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

secman wrote: »
    I had a situation about a year ago..constantly puncturing... correct pressure.. Good tyres.. nothing stuck in the tyres... was alligning the tubes ... to see if same place. Drove me mad...tyres were fine...rim was fine.. spokes were fine.... eventually came to the conclusion that it had to be the rim tape.

Me too. Poor-quality rim tape gave me continuous rear-wheel punctures for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

secman wrote: »
    I had a situation about a year ago..constantly puncturing... correct pressure.. Good tyres.. nothing stuck in the tyres... was alligning the tubes ... to see if same place. Drove me mad...tyres were fine...rim was fine.. spokes were fine.... eventually came to the conclusion that it had to be the rim tape. LBS said rim tape was okay...punctured again.. got a lift to LBS..changed rim tape front and back..problem solved.

Too....many....fullstops...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Town/city roads are filled with glass.

Even with the correct pressure, some tiny bits will work their way into tyres. A problem with the wheel/tyre/tube is possible too, but glass is the no.1 culprit.

My advice:
    1. Puncture resident tyres for commuting are a blessing ( especially on the back) - plenty of good options
    2. Never go back to that bike shop - they're either incompetent or happy to milk you.
    You can hardly blame the bike shop if the bike is not maintained properly by the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

nak wrote: »
    You can hardly blame the bike shop if the bike is not maintained properly by the owner.

It's not like OP just wasn't bothered.

I'd expect a shop to talk to a customer that's come in multiple times and
    A: work out that they just don't know about really basic stuff like having to pump the tyres and mention it to them.
    B: look at the bike and ask enough questions to work out what the problem is.

No shop is perfect, but IMO somewhere that doesn't do this basic stuff, when given plenty of opportunity is failing the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What is good quality rim tape, please? (Brand, standard, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Too....many....fullstops...!

I thought they were like Beckettian/Pinteresque pauses, indicative of breathlessness or exhaustion. They certainly evoked how I felt every time I went to get the Brompton and the rear wheel was flat again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Cycling with a group once and one guy repeatedly punctured on steep downhills. After going through 3 or 4 tubes, we spotted that his rear brakes weren't properly aligned and one brake block was cutting into the sidewall of the tyre. Fitting a boot to the tyre and adjusting the brakes sorted the problem.

Happened to me a few weeks ago. Ruined a brand new Conti 4000.

Advertisement