Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seed potatoes

Options
  • 02-08-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Just digging up the last of our potatoes and some of them are little ones, how can I store and save them for seed potatoes next year?

Also, got and email form a garden centre saying to sow seed potatoes now for a Christmas harvest. Does anyone know if these are a special variety of potato or will any potato grow form now to Christmas. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

What I normally do is store them in boxes of sand, I use whatever I have (normally those plastic crates from supermarkets) and but in a layer of sand followed by some of the seed potatoes, and build it up layer by layer. It helps if you can keep the seed from touching each other as much as possible.

I would consider it a bit late to set spuds, Maincrop (the latest set ones) are usually all out of the ground by October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

What I normally do is store them in boxes of sand, I use whatever I have (normally those plastic crates from supermarkets) and but in a layer of sand followed by some of the seed potatoes, and build it up layer by layer. It helps if you can keep the seed from touching each other as much as possible.

We stored tonnes of them over the years just piled in the shed, covered with straw.
    We even stored them in the 25 kg paper bags.
    For a small quantity I'd store them in a cardboard box, well covered to keep the frost out.
    The earliest we were sowed spuds was around Patricks day. I don't know anything about sowing them this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Thanks, we have managed to save potatoes no problem for eating but was wondering about saving some for seed next year so will try the box of sand for some small ones.

Yep, I looked up the garden centre website and they have some autumn planting potatoes for eating at xmas. I'm going to give some a try in large bags in the polytunnel...no need to chit apparently.

http://http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/advsearch/index?keywords=autumn%20potatoes

must try growing autumn spuds myself some year, I'd say they would need a poly tunnel even then it seems optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I find that leaving potatoes in the ground usually produces more potatoes, usually giving you a crop you didn't know you were going to have:)

• Advertisement

I find that leaving potatoes in the ground usually produces more potatoes, usually giving you a crop you didn't know you were going to have:)

Yep, we call them feral potatoes here, random potatoes growing all over the garden. Its great though when they grow in the compost heap from potato peelings, great recycling.

tringle wrote: »
    Yep, we call them feral potatoes here, random potatoes growing all over the garden. Its great though when they grow in the compost heap from potato peelings, great recycling.

there a pest when your trying to maintain a rotation though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Great way of spreading disease too.

Agreed, they are growing among my courgettes now and I just cant get to them. We've emptied the potato bed and dug over it twice to try and ensure no more random ones remain for next years.

tringle wrote: »
    Agreed, they are growing among my courgettes now and I just cant get to them. We've emptied the potato bed and dug over it twice to try and ensure no more random ones remain for next years.

I pull up the potato seedlings that sneak in, it does the trick. I have a plot of potatoes growing so I don't need to have random potato plants choking out my onions ect

• Advertisement
Advertisement