Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London for the weekend - Is Oyster the handiest

Options
  • 02-08-2016 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi

A friend gave me an Oyster card and am wondering is it the handiest option to travel around London for the weekend? I'm flying into Gatwick and will be stopping off at East Croydon I believe too. Does all stations accept Oyster? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Definitely going to be the most convenient for you and you can use on all public transport. You can even use it on the Gatwick express if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

jimmii wrote: »
    Definitely going to be the most convenient for you and you can use on all public transport. You can even use it on the Gatwick express if need be.
    And it works in all stations in London? I just need to top it up when I land I presume? Not even sure if there is money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

henke wrote: »
    And it works in all stations in London? I just need to top it up when I land I presume? Not even sure if there is money on it.

Yes. All tube and trains in london accept it and buses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Check the oyster web site. If that card is not already registered, you should be able to create an account, add that card and check balance/top up before you go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Yeah the oyster is brilliant.

Works for all trains and the Thames clipper boats and even the emirates air line(cable car).

Just back from weekend there and used it loads.

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    Check the oyster web site. If that card is not already registered, you should be able to create an account, add that card and check balance/top up before you go

Tried that but because it wasn't used in the last 8 weeks it wont let me register. I'll see if there's somewhere in Gatwick I can top up when I get off the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

i don't think you can use it on the regular trains from Gatwick. Your best bet arriving there is to get a ticket to East Croydon if that is your stop. It isn't classed as being in the centre of London so is a cheaper fare. The Gatwick Express is an expensive train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Hi

A friend gave me an Oyster card and am wondering is it the handiest option to travel around London for the weekend? I'm flying into Gatwick and will be stopping off at East Croydon I believe too. Does all stations accept Oyster? Thanks.

You would be better off getting a Super Off-Peak all zones travelcard from the machine at Gatwick as it includes a zone 1 - 6 Day Travelcard and travel on any London bound Thameslink train from Gatwick for only£12.10 (this is valid at weekends and bank holidays only)

jahalpin wrote: »
    Hi

You would be better off getting a Super Off-Peak all zones travelcard from the machine at Gatwick as it includes a zone 1 - 6 Day Travelcard and travel on any London bound Thameslink train from Gatwick for only 12.10 (this is valid at weekends and bank holidays only)
    These are valid for only one day though I am guessing which is why I was thinking Oyster may be the handiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

But only if you want to burn your money. Oyster single on Gatwick Express is £19.80 and does not contribute to any cap.

If for some reason you want to use GX tickets bought online are cheaper than oyster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You sure about the Express? Although the express may be of no use to the OP as East Croydon is less than 20 minutes away on Southern, which it can be used on (Gatwick towards London, not Brighton), although may be delays with their current industrial actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Does anyone know if I am correct in thinking that you can now use your Visa Debit card on London transport as a contactless, pay as you go method? Wondering if this is actually cheaper than Oyster.
    Was going to buy Oyster online, but someone advised against it, stating why pay postage when you can buy one on arrival at City Airport, or use Visa Debit as contactless form of payment. I am thinking that maybe an Irish issued debit card may not be accepted all overs and buying Oyster online would save me time from having to possibly queue up.
    Very much appreciate advice as to best and most economical option please.

havetoquit wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I am correct in thinking that you can now use your Visa Debit card on London transport as a contactless, pay as you go method? Wondering if this is actually cheaper than Oyster.
    Was going to buy Oyster online, but someone advised against it, stating why pay postage when you can buy one on arrival at City Airport, or use Visa Debit as contactless form of payment. I am thinking that maybe an Irish issued debit card may not be accepted all overs and buying Oyster online would save me time from having to possibly queue up.
    Very much appreciate advice as to best and most economical option please.

Most contactless credit/debit cards can be used, if it works once on TfL then it will work all the time.

Prepaid cards are the most likely to have problems.

Fares are the same using oyster or contactless, there are some slight differences wit the way they are calculated and with caps but nothing likely to make any difference to a short stay visitor.

There is no point buying oyster ahead, my advice would be try your contactless at the airport DLR station and if it validates off you go, if not an oyster can be bought there.

Main advantage of using contactless is that you are charged for what you use, with oyster you have to top-up in advance.

How very kind of you to respond so promptly and thank you so much.
    Your advice is a tremendous help.
    Best regards and have a nice weekend😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'd be a little wary of conversion charges if constantly used my Irish debit card for tapping on the tube. Revolut card would be my first choice.

Thank you for your advice. It has been most helpful.
    I shall contact my bank before travel to ask them what the charge would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Off the topic a little.
    Heading to London for 4 days. Staying city centerish landing in Gatwick. my self wife and 3 kids. What the best option for Gatwick to city. Taxi seems to be as cheap as train. Oyster card is just pay as you go or is unlimited like the Metro card in NYC. Booked a few things seems like money must grow on trees with some of prices.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Sligoronan wrote: »
    Off the topic a little.
    Heading to London for 4 days. Staying city centerish landing in Gatwick. my self wife and 3 kids. What the best option for Gatwick to city. Taxi seems to be as cheap as train. Oyster card is just pay as you go or is unlimited like the Metro card in NYC. Booked a few things seems like money must grow on trees with some of prices.

Bear in mind that the train is probably quicker than a taxi also it depends on what type of train you take the normal Southern Train is far cheaper than the Gatwick Express .

The Oyster Card is pay as you go similar to the Leap Card, also you use a contactless bank card on the readers instead of buying an Oyster Card.

Sligoronan wrote: »
    Off the topic a little.

Personally I wouldn't even consider getting a taxi but I know some people prefer the ease of using them. Gatwick is 30 miles from central London and the roads are very congested.

Fast trains are approx 30mns to Victoria or London Bridge and 55mns to St Pancras, by car depending on traffic you would be looking at 1h30-2h or more depending on traffic.

As always DO NOT use Gatwick Express, it is much cheaper to use Southern or Thameslink services and Fast Southern services to Victoria are just as quick.

Oyster/contactless is PAYG with daily caps.

What age are the kids? under 11 there is free travel on many services under certain conditions, under 16 half rate with some free travel, under 18 half rate.

U11 can be got without special application if travelling with paying adults or by applying for zip oyster, u16 can be got with a zip oyster or by getting a special child rate applied at visitor centres.

Zip oyster gives best discounts but must be applied for online at least 4 weeks in advance and costs £10/£15/£20 for U11/U16/U18.

The visitor child discount gives less benefits but can be gotten in person without pre-application.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s

What exact tickets are best for your trip depends on your exact plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

muckisluck wrote: »
    i don't think you can use it on the regular trains from Gatwick. Your best bet arriving there is to get a ticket to East Croydon if that is your stop. It isn't classed as being in the centre of London so is a cheaper fare. The Gatwick Express is an expensive train.

Just for the record, you can definitely use the Oyster at Gatwick.

Regarding the use of credit cards; they're cheaper to use because you don't have to buy the Oyster (though you can give it back to retrieve your fiver at the end of the trip). My sister (who lives in London) says the credit cards are less reliable than the Oyster and you can end up getting charged more (but I can't vouch for the truth of that claim).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

boombang wrote: »
    Just for the record, you can definitely use the Oyster at Gatwick.

Seconding this - I fly regularly from Gatwick and always tap in at East Croydon with my Oyster and vice versa coming back the other way.

Checking my Oyster journey history from the most recent trips, the journey cost £3 each way

Advertisement