Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Eireann #115 no show, Friday night

• 02-08-2016 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭

So Bus Eireann Route #115 from Dublin to Mullingar didn't show up Friday night, at 23.20. It was the last bus home on a Friday and no updates from Bus Eireann, just didn't show up. A few of us had to get a taxi home, costing us a quite a good of money as you can imagine, coupled with having bought a return journey ticket. One lad said he'd wait until 6am as he hadn't enough money for a taxi home.

All I have heard back from Bus Eireann so far (after sending two emails) is that the service had problems and didn't arrive at the stop until 23.59. This is an absolute lie as we waited at the stop from 23.00 until 00:55. We got a taxi home then.

I'm just wondering what to do in this case? We surely have to be compensated for this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

sheroman01 wrote: »
    So Bus Eireann Route #115 from Dublin to Mullingar didn't show up Friday night, at 23.20. It was the last bus home on a Friday and no updates from Bus Eireann, just didn't show up. A few of us had to get a taxi home, costing us a quite a good of money as you can imagine, coupled with having bought a return journey ticket. One lad said he'd wait until 6am as he hadn't enough money for a taxi home.

All I have heard back from Bus Eireann so far (after sending two emails) is that the service had problems and didn't arrive at the stop until 23.59. This is an absolute lie as we waited at the stop from 23.00 until 00:55. We got a taxi home then.

I'm just wondering what to do in this case? We surely have to be compensated for this?

You waited two hours for it? :eek: Where about's were you?

Bear in mind that O'Connell Bridge and it's environs were being touted as a traffic no go area owing to road works so this would have affected services in and outbound. Even so.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The best thing to do is contact the NTA and make them aware that Bus Eireann failed to provide the PSO service they are contracted to provide.

Cancelling or not providing the last bus of the night to any destination is something that should get them thousands in fines!

It is likely the bus broke down and by the time a repair or replacement was got the driver might have run out of driving hours. At that time of the night there is nobody that you can contact in Bus Eireann about any problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If the fines BÉ could get from the NTA aren't much greater than the cost of BÉ having someone to organise this, then maybe the NTA should increase the fines, or admit to regulatory capture

• Registered Users Posts: 29 smncnnr

I don't know about this particular route, but I certainly noticed on other routes that BÉ drivers sometimes tend to skip stops on a whim, even when the bus is not full or running particularly late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

We waited in Ha'Penny Bridge. Finally got an official reply via email from them:

"I can now confirm that the service did operate, however our driver was incorrectly informed by a Luas Operative on the night in question that diversions were in place. Our driver was diverted via Dame Street and re-emerged onto the Quays at Christchurch, resulting in missing the Halfpenny Bridge Stop"

As per usual, Bus Eireann drivers not giving a sh**e about commuters and leaving them stranded on a Friday night. How can a company literally hire so many unpleasant, ignorant people? I know loads of people who have had their Bus Eireann stories, and a quick look on their Twitter page shows you how many times buses are late, fail to show, rude drivers.

"As a measure of regret for any inconvenience caused, I would like to offer you a complimentary return ticket."

Pathetic. My return ticket I already purchased and my taxi fare adds up to €60. I really would like to get this compensated. We'll see how it goes. I could be waiting a while. How apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

"however our driver was incorrectly informed by a Luas Operative on the night in question that diversions were in place"

What sort of an idiot of a driver would take the direction off someone doing a different job, for a different company and go on to let that influence him ? Brain dead stuff. Unless he was told by his own superiors that there was a route change he should have proceeded as normal and as previous directed. If the Luas guy had been proven correct then it would have landed at the feet of the BE management as to why he had not been told. I wonder did he seek to verify the information, the bus driver that is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

We waited in Ha'Penny Bridge. Finally got an official reply via email from them:

"I can now confirm that the service did operate, however our driver was incorrectly informed by a Luas Operative on the night in question that diversions were in place. Our driver was diverted via Dame Street and re-emerged onto the Quays at Christchurch, resulting in missing the Halfpenny Bridge Stop"

As per usual, Bus Eireann drivers not giving a sh**e about commuters and leaving them stranded on a Friday night. How can a company literally hire so many unpleasant, ignorant people? I know loads of people who have had their Bus Eireann stories, and a quick look on their Twitter page shows you how many times buses are late, fail to show, rude drivers.

"As a measure of regret for any inconvenience caused, I would like to offer you a complimentary return ticket."

Pathetic. My return ticket I already purchased and my taxi fare adds up to €60. I really would like to get this compensated. We'll see how it goes. I could be waiting a while. How apt.

Well you have done better than I have against them.

This is going a few years back actually it was around 2010 but I was waiting for a bus at a stop on a cold snowy day and instead of stopping the bus driver just kept going even do he had clearly seen me. He was lucky I did not have a stone or stick in my hand because if I did it would have been in the back of that bus. It was another 2 hours before a bus showed up. I emailed and gave out to Bus Eireann when I got home and still have that email stored on my hard drive but I never received a reply from them. I was well pissed of with them.
    The customer service from Bus Eireann is a disgrace.

There was also another time I was waiting for a bus home from Bus arras and it never turned up so I had to get another bus home that did not go the way it was supposed to but went a shorter way instead a and left me in the wrong place to where I thought I would be. I had to then call for someone to come pick me up.

Then there was the bus I was waiting for a bus arras that did eventually turn up late nearly on hour late but they still charged people anyway. Disgraceful I think. If a bus is late by 30 or more mins it should be half price.

There is some nice bus drivers on my rout but there is also some that are stuck up never say anything like a thank you or your welcome or even have a good day and never even smile. If they don,t like the job they should go get another one don,t be there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Two different reasons from the same company.

Hmmmm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

THE QUAYS WERE CLOSED FRIDAY FROM 2000HRS TO TUESDAY 0600HRS YOUR FAULT FOR STANDING WAITING ON A ROAD THATS CLOSED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

AMKC wrote: »
    Then there was the bus I was waiting for a bus arras that did eventually turn up late nearly on hour late but they still charged people anyway. Disgraceful I think. If a bus is late by 30 or more mins it should be half price.

Aim higher. In Oslo, Norway, they cover your taxi fare (capped at NOK 500 ~ EUR 55) if the bus or metro is more than 20 minutes late (in English):

https://ruter.no/en/getting-help/travel-guarantee-and-taxi-refund/

Understandably, it can be difficult to find a taxi if a popular service is late, but at least the option is there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

hognef wrote:
    If that were indeed the case, it's surely still the service operator's responsibility to provide information to that effect.

It was all over the media for about a week,bus eireann and dublin bus had info on their websites and social media,the RTPI screens at the stops were displaying information,what more do you want??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

So that is three different stories now

The Bus Ran Very Late
    Vs
    The Bus Incorrectly Diverted
    Vs
    The Bus Correctly Diverted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

THE QUAYS WERE CLOSED FRIDAY FROM 2000HRS TO TUESDAY 0600HRS YOUR FAULT FOR STANDING WAITING ON A ROAD THATS CLOSED

Buses were running on that section fine.

Find your capslock. Press it once then permanently remove it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

devnull wrote: »
    So that is three different stories now

The Bus Ran Very Late
    Vs
    The Bus Incorrectly Diverted
    Vs
    The Bus Correctly Diverted

Well, No. The last story was not given by BE. It came from dublinstevie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

It was all over the media for about a week,bus eireann and dublin bus had info on their websites and social media,the RTPI screens at the stops were displaying information,what more do you want??

I don't want any more. But, assuming the OP can read, and given that he spent a lot of time at the stop, I'm inclined to believe he would've noticed any information displayed.

The official bus eireann diversion for the luas works at O'Connell bridge was to operate from the quays onto D'olier St then around onto Westmoreland St and continue onto Aston quay.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=2092&month=Jul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The official bus eireann diversion for the luas works at O'Connell bridge was to operate from the quays onto D'olier St then around onto Westmoreland St and continue onto Aston quay.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=2092&month=Jul

Exactly, which was the stop I was waiting at. There was no information on the real time display either.

I asked BE for a refund for my taxi fare. It was basically ignored:

"I refer to your recent correspondence.

As previously outlined, the driver was diverted due to Luas Works on the evening in question. However, please be advised my offer of a complimentary return ticket is still available if you wish to accept.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you on this occasion."

What do ye think? Should I be compensated for my taxi fare home? 1hr 20mins journey home.

Exactly, which was the stop I was waiting at. There was no information on the real time display either.

I asked BE for a refund for my taxi fare. It was basically ignored:

"I refer to your recent correspondence.

As previously outlined, the driver was diverted due to Luas Works on the evening in question. However, please be advised my offer of a complimentary return ticket is still available if you wish to accept.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you on this occasion."

What do ye think? Should I be compensated for my taxi fare home? 1hr 20mins journey home.
    It does appear that the driver took the wrong route for the detour so yes you and others who complain about this should be compensated for taxi fares.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just a note: Please don't report any posts above this post. The cap lock poster was dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I think they should and could compensate you with free bus tickets totalling the amount you are out of pocket. That has zero cost for them. Cash is not likely as it'd open the flood gates for bogus claims.

• Advertisement
Advertisement