Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help - sleep mode = coma

Options
  • 02-08-2016 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭

i have an old pc, still running fine generally, but if it goes in to sleep mode, it will not wake - it is still powered on, but clicking mouse, touching keys, etc will not wake it. power off and power on with power button won't wake it either.

I have to power off, reseat the RAM and power on to wake it up again.

Under Win 8.1, I had the sleep mode turned off to get around the issue. I upgraded to Win 10 and thought that might solve it but no.

Does anyone have any possible solution? (before someone asks, yes, I am googling at the moment as well but I generally find people on boards are faster and more reliable with solutions if there are any)

edit - it's a Dell Dimension E520 - it was originally a Win XP pc, and I think this issue is there since I upgraded it to Win 7.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

First thing I'd be doing there is checking the BIOS version and seeing if Dell have an updated version - if you're more than one version behind the latest release, check each newer version as one of them may incorporate a fix for your issue.

If there's no BIOS update available, check if your chipset drivers are current - it's a less likely issue but may still help.

In a command prompt, you can enter "powercfg /a" to list the available sleep states on your system. Check this before you make any changes and run it again after any change you make to see if there's any difference in reported configuration.

If you can't get the system to behave properly, you can always modify your power settings to disable sleep and use hibernation instead (Control Panel > Power Settings > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings, then under sleep set the options in "Sleep After" to "never", and the "Allow Hybrid sleep" options to "Off"). Yes, it's slower, but you don't have as much faffing around.

Advertisement