Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help identifying this truck that nearly ran me over this morning

Options
  • 02-08-2016 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Empty roads and very little traffic and yet this idiot passes within inches of me.

658SMae.png

I've rang Gardai Traffic Watch to report the incident but I'd like some help to identify the hire company.

I've video footage showing the reg number but I'd like to know the company and call them myself to make a complaint.

I've tried Google images which shows lots of yellow sweeper trucks but none with the red and blue stripes.

Anyone recognize the firm... if so please let me know.

Muchos gracias.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Sent you a PM in case it's not the company that it looked like to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Jesus, that looks like shocking bad and dangerous driving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

From reading previous reports it's very hard to place a driver in one of these although you'd imagine the fact they ask for a licence etc before booking it would be easy. The sign on the side seems to say "Sweeper Hire"

Did you try google the reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

You'd think that after a long weekend, very little traffic and being 9am that people would be a bit more chilled but I had 3 close passes all within 30 mins of each other. This was by far the scariest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

They make a great crisp I hear...

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    From reading previous reports it's very hard to place a driver in one of these although you'd imagine the fact they ask for a licence etc before booking it would be easy. The sign on the side seems to say "Sweeper Hire"

Did you try google the reg?

I hadn't thought of that as I wasn't sure there would be any online access to car registration details that include the owner & registered address. I tried a few of the sites that do used car checks and they just return the model of the vehicle but not the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

ford2600 wrote: »
    They make a great crisp I hear...

very much this!

i'm pretty sure those sweeper trucks are left hand drive too, even less of an excuse for the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,576 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think it looks very similar branding to a company advertising online.
    PM'd the name to you.

We don't cycle on the roads any more as its too dangerous. But even as a motorist I'm finding in the last few months that the roads are more and more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,576 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

very much this!

i'm pretty sure those sweeper trucks are left hand drive too, even less of an excuse for the driver.

My guess is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Did you get off your bike and walk her the rest of the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

mp31 wrote: »
    You'd think that after a long weekend, very little traffic and being 9am that people would be a bit more chilled but I had 3 close passes all within 30 mins of each other. This was by far the scariest!
    I found the motorist behaviour on our club spin on Saturday really bad compared to normal. If this is the reaction to the RSA and the cops going all out, as they did the tail end of last week, they needn't bother next time or really look at how or what message they are putting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I noticed one of their vans the other day. reminded me of this branding and to be honest I was surprised they could get away with it.

_Brian wrote: »
    We don't cycle on the roads any more as its too dangerous.

No it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I used to work for that company. Spot on with the crisp reference. If you got the reg OP then they would have the details of the company/operator that has the vehicle. You'll need the specific date obviously.

Just rang the company and spoke to the manager who took my details and said he'll investigate and get back to me. I told him I'd already reported this to the Gardai and asked him to give me the name of the driver so I can add that to the report.
    I'll be interested in seeing what he has to say.

Just rang the company and spoke to the manager who took my details and said he'll investigate and get back to me. I told him I'd already reported this to the Gardai and asked him to give me the name of the driver so I can add that to the report.
    I'll be interested in seeing what he has to say.

fair play to you OP, be very interested to see how you get on.

what kind of camera do you use out of interest?

fair play to you OP, be very interested to see how you get on.

what kind of camera do you use out of interest?

I have a Mobius action cam (eBay purchase) with a waterproof silicone case to keep it dry. The camera is attached to the top of my helmet with velcro (not the best thing to use as it's a little wobbly. I keep meaning to make up an alternative quick release mount using something else but haven't got around to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

A bit harsh on the truck driver - they were probably feeling a little exposed by having to overtake on a solid white line around that corner

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Dardania wrote: »
    A bit harsh on the truck driver - they were probably feeling a little exposed by having to overtake on a solid white line around that corner

Tongue in cheek?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Then stay behind until it's safe to pass instead of endangering someone's life (and their own depending on what might have come round the corner) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This is the biggest issue with drivers in Ireland. You don't "Have" to overtake a cyclist or any other road user for that matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i read that as tongue in cheek too...

i read that as tongue in cheek too...

it's a shame that such solid sarcasm went largely unrecognised

it's a shame that such solid sarcasm went largely unrecognised

Difficult to accept as sarcasm when it's witnessed and experienced on a daily/weekly basis.

As you say though it highlights the issue that is becoming all to normalised in Ireland.

Fair play OP for reporting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Tongue in cheek?

You'd have to hope...

No call back of an apology or explanation but instead I just got a text from the company giving me the name and address of the driver and that he had been sacked!

No call back of an apology or explanation but instead I just got a text from the company giving me the name and address of the driver and that he had been sacked!

He either has prior history or that is BS to prove an action has been taken.

Although usually you get the we have spoken to the driver line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

ronoc wrote: »
    No it isn't.

Maybe statistically speaking it isn't but you only need a couple of scares like the OP to put you off taking the bike out. Don't blame them one bit either.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Difficult to accept as sarcasm when it's witnessed and experienced on a daily/weekly basis.

As you say though it highlights the issue that is becoming all to normalised in Ireland.

Fair play OP for reporting them.

why is it difficult to accept a statement which is clearly mocking the driver? because that's all it was (to my reading anyway).

mp31, that text seems a very strange way of following up on it. i'm also surprised that they would give his home address to a member of the public, no matter that he was clearly in the wrong in the incident.

please do keep us updated on how things progress with the gardaí and whether or not you get confirmation on his employment status!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Don't accept that, ring back the manager you spoke to earlier to get more details.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement