Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help identifying this truck that nearly ran me over this morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Getting the drivers name and address via text was unusual to say the least... I will follow up with them again to get more details.

I feel that the response in general was very poor from this company.. the phone call I made was dealt with in a very matter of fact way - no concern, no apology, nothing.

Contrast that with a similar incident a few months back (the truck was from another company), the Managing Director personally rang me up several times - first to apologize, then again to say they have found the driver and that he will be disciplined, then again to request video footage and then again to request a photo like this one which showed their company name on the side of the truck door. He told me that this last picture was enlarged and laminated and placed on their company notice board for everyone to see and be aware of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Dardania wrote: »
    A bit harsh on the truck driver - they were probably feeling a little exposed by having to overtake on a solid white line around that corner

This is the biggest issue with drivers in Ireland. You don't "Have" to overtake a cyclist or any other road user for that matter.

Yes they do as a cyclists speed does not meet the traffic speed. In several countries there are fines for driving too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

That's mad, I would have thought that it's a serious breach of the data protection action to tell you their employee's name and address. Never mind telling you that he'd been sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Yes they do as a cyclists speed does not meet the traffic speed. In several countries there are fines for driving too slow.

But cyclists are traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Suzyq wrote: »
    That's mad, I would have thought that it's a serious breach of the data protection action to tell you their employee's name and address. Never mind telling you that he'd been sacked.

Correct, they've broken the law again in doing so.

Sacked? that's a bit of an overreaction no? I've a feeling the crisp company will be at the EAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

You reckon a Garda would fine a driver for 'driving too slow' because the driver was waiting to overtake a cyclist at a safe point in the road?

Are you sharing the roads with the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

In several countries there are fines for driving too slow.

63113565.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I hope you are not licenced to drive vehicles on public roads with a mentality like that!
    vicwatson wrote: »
    .. I've a feeling the crisp company will be at the EAT
    Unlikely I'd say. Many of those occupations have a high turnover of staff. The Unfair Dismissals Act doesn't apply to periods of employment of less than 6 months (with a few exceptions).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Dardania wrote: »
    A bit harsh on the truck driver - they were probably feeling a little exposed by having to overtake on a solid white line around that corner

Tongue in cheek?

Indeed.

Few more metres and they could have safely overtaken judging by the photo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Banned after ignoring earlier warning not to troll the Cycling forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In several countries there are fines for driving too slow.
    it must be incredibly expensive to drive at rush hour so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The alleged sacking could be the truck owners trying to distance themselves from / perform damage control on whatever the Garda 's follow up.
    Maybe they've had issues with drivers being poor in the past, jeaprodising their company reputation?

Either way, OP reporting it to the Garda is the proper route - if they have any interest in improving safety on the road, they'll follow up with both the individual driver and the company for their training practices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

why is it difficult to accept a statement which is clearly mocking the driver? because that's all it was (to my reading anyway).

mp31, that text seems a very strange way of following up on it. i'm also surprised that they would give his home address to a member of the public, no matter that he was clearly in the wrong in the incident.

please do keep us updated on how things progress with the gardaí and whether or not you get confirmation on his employment status!

Because you're reading of a starement is how we should all accept itl!!! Get real you have no idea whether it was meant as sarcastic or not so why would it be so difficult for you to assume it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Because you're reading of a starement is how we should all accept itl!!! Get real you have no idea whether it was meant as sarcastic or not so why would it be so difficult for you to assume it wasn't.

Because the person that wrote it confirmed that it was and I'm not automatically looking for something to be outraged by.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Whenever I read a thread like this I'm reminded to ask all of of you cyclists who are concerned re dangerous overtaking to be sure you have signed Phil Skelton's stayin'alive at 1.5 petition if you haven't already done so. Those of you who are members of cycling clubs could ask your mates to do so as well. Afaik signatures are at around 5,000 but sure that many cyclists turn up for the Tour of Waterford So if all the club cyclists and all the DB users and all other commuter and leisure cyclists signed it would help to put pressure on Department of Transport to enact a minimum overtaking distance law as they have done in so many countries. Ok I know enforcement will be another day's work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 18,576 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

ronoc wrote: »
    No it isn't.

It is with kids !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

mp31 wrote: »
    No call back of an apology or explanation but instead I just got a text from the company giving me the name and address of the driver and that he had been sacked!

Am I the only one on here who feel we have all been taken for a ride?

I hope you are not licenced to drive vehicles on public roads with a mentality like that!

Unlikely I'd say. Many of those occupations have a high turnover of staff. The Unfair Dismissals Act doesn't apply to periods of employment of less than 6 months (with a few exceptions).

And you know the driver was working for less than 6 months do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

And you know the driver was working for less than 6 months do you?

The driver could well have been an I dependant contractor as oppose to a PAYE employee

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    The driver could well have been an I dependant contractor as oppose to a PAYE employee

Point is no one knows, a sacking was harsh, unless he's a serial **** driver and has loads of complaints made against him and had all the warnings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

_Brian wrote:
    We don't cycle on the roads any more as its too dangerous. But even as a motorist I'm finding in the last few months that the roads are more and more dangerous.

Whenever I read a thread like this I'm reminded to ask all of of you cyclists who are concerned re dangerous overtaking to be sure you have signed Phil Skelton's stayin'alive at 1.5 petition if you haven't already done so. Those of you who are members of cycling clubs could ask your mates to do so as well. Afaik signatures are at around 5,000 but sure that many cyclists turn up for the Tour of Waterford So if all the club cyclists and all the DB users and all other commuter and leisure cyclists signed it would help to put pressure on Department of Transport to enact a minimum overtaking distance law as they have done in so many countries. Ok I know enforcement will be another day's work!

How can someone in a car pass out two cyclists at a safe distance ?
    And they cycling beside one another on a country road chatting away about the lovely flora and fauna no doubt.

Try driving around the newline between Tubber and Kinvara or some of the other roads in the Burren.

It's a disgrace how cyclists can get away dangerous cycling in tourism areas,blocking traffic and slowing people down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Try driving around the newline between Tubber and Kinvara or some of the other roads in the Burren.

It's a disgrace how cyclists can get away dangerous cycling in tourism areas,blocking traffic and slowing people down.

You're not an ex garda who's now a councillor by any chance are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

mp31 wrote: »
    No call back of an apology or explanation but instead I just got a text from the company giving me the name and address of the driver and that he had been sacked!

I doubt they sacked him over that. If they did, it's to the EAT the employee should go. Giving his address is probably a data breach too. If the employer is trying to distance themselves it's already too late as they are liable for any actions of their employee, even if what is done is without their permission or knowledge (vicarious lability).

Shocking driving though. Not unusual in this country. The best line I heard advocating not overtaking cyclist came from the indo motor correspondent. It goes something like this : the moment you are getting frustrated about not being held up by a cyclist is probably the time you should not be considering overtaking anything.
    Of course people just have to overtake - even if it's pointless or dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's nonsense. Come to think of it you posted this yesterday:
    "went for cycle today with a group, 10 of us, side by side, great cycle. No hard shoulder so we held up all the cars for at least 2km, was so satisfying. Great fun."

That shows a total disregard for safe and considerate cycling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

And they cycling beside one another on a country road chatting away about the lovely flora and fauna no doubt.

It's not the cycling that's dangerous - it's the overtaking.

What a small cadre of motorists fail to understand is that cyclists are traffic - they're not a class apart. They also fail to understand that the possession of an internal combustion engine does not entitle them to greater priority on the road.

Cyclists cycling two-abreast on a narrow country road may well be being inconsiderate, but it is not illegal and it is not inherently dangerous - if someone has to wait until a decent stretch of road materialises to allow a safe overtake to be made then they wait......for as long as it takes. If they decide to go for it on an unsuitable stretch of road then they their decision has created the danger, not the cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Perhaps I'm alone, but I think this (a minimum passing distance is a bad idea). Just based on the experience of being in District Court (not always as a defendant :D) I can see Guards prosecuting people then the argument becomes "how do you know they passed within 1.5m?" - it's exactly the type of hassly, problematic case Guards would try to not be involved in.

Plus, imo, it's quite possible to pass safely at less than 1.5m just as a pass at 2m can be dangerous - I'd rather be overtaken carefully at a reasonable speed at 1m than have a HGV tear by at 100km/hr at 2m, ymmv.

There's a 'safe overtaking' requirement in the legislation already, and the Guards can issue a 3 point FCPN for breaching it - I'd much prefer if they significantly upped the enforcement of this provision, at the moment it accounts for less than 2000 of the 750,000 or so FCPNs issued each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

How do you overtake a tractor on those roads, which would be wider than two abreast cyclists? What about Motorhomes? How about the trekking horses, which when I've been down there are often on roads? You wait for a safe place to overtake.

It's amazing that people can't get by two abreast cyclists safely, where you have pretty good vision through and around them, but can get by tractors with hayturners which are probably double the width!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

you should have pulled in more mate...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

He either has prior history or that is BS to prove an action has been taken.

Although usually you get the we have spoken to the driver line.

[/QUOTE]
    Correct, they've broken the law again in doing so.

Sacked? that's a bit of an overreaction no? I've a feeling the crisp company will be at the EAT

Well they'd only have broken data protection laws if they divulged actual employee information. Whats to stop them giving some makey-uppy employee name and address and say he's sacked just to placate an irate cyclist on the phone. I'd be 99% sure that this is what is happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement