Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help identifying this truck that nearly ran me over this morning

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Happens to me every single weekend. A lot of places there are even cycle paths that the lycra clad crews refuse to use for some reason .
    As a cyclist and fellow petrol head like you I too see cyclists not using cycle paths. However, maybe ask yourself why they choose to cycle closer to cars and not on the safety of the cycle path.
    also to the OP - the truck doesn't look that close, you didn't die, if it was really terrifying - pull in and let it pass. Please stop cycling country roads.
    Ignoring the obvious stupidity of suggesting that the OP dismounts, the truck in the OP's post is too close, of that there's no question. The OP could in theory reach out and grab it. It leaves the OP with nowhere to go if there was a pothole in front of them. Hitting a pothole on a bike can throw you off.
    Also assuming there were no potholes, the draft of wind that follows large vehicles can be enough to throw the cyclist towards the ditch.
    At a very minimum a vehicle, never mind a big heavy unit like the one in the photo is enough to scare the crap out of you.

Lastly, what if the OP wasn't on a bike. What if they were pushing a pram? Would that be any different?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Happens to me every single weekend.
    odd. it only very, very rarely happens me. and i'd find myself driving the roads of north county dublin regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Plenty of space there, you are not 10 foot wide sitting on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Plenty of space there, you are not 10 foot wide sitting on a bike.

The driving lane is about 3.5m wide. The left hand side wheel is not even in the centre of the lane, so he's maximum 1.5m from the edge of road. The cyclist will be about 0.5m from the edge and is about 0.5m wide. The truck is about 0.5m from the cyclist....these are not exact measurements but you should be able to get the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

kbannon wrote: »
    As a cyclist and fellow petrol head like you I too see cyclists not using cycle paths. However, maybe ask yourself why they choose to cycle closer to cars and not on the safety of the cycle path.

Lastly, what if the OP wasn't on a bike. What if they were pushing a pram? Would that be any different?

If its because of glass, then complain to the council. Why the hell did we waste money on cycle paths if nobody will use them .

Pushing a pram down a country road such as the one the OP has shown, I would consider dangerous and irresponsible. However , that truck would still be far enough away to not hit a pram.
    odd. it only very, very rarely happens me. and i'd find myself driving the roads of north county dublin regularly.

North dublin is not exactly a touring spot for cyclists. North kildare looks like the tour de france at the weekends, with multiple groups of lycra clad, 2 or 3 abreast groups clogging up roads, causing traffic and being an overall nuisance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

tigerboon wrote: »
    The driving lane is about 3.5m wide. The left hand side wheel is not even in the centre of the lane, so he's maximum 1.5m from the edge of road. The cyclist will be about 0.5m from the edge and is about 0.5m wide. The truck is about 0.5m from the cyclist....these are not exact measurements but you should be able to get the picture

I reckon even less than that.

I did a quick mess in photoshop and it looks around about 7 widths of the edge of carriageway markings. If they are the maximum of 150mm then the lorry has left 1.05m between himself and the edge of the carriageway for the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If its because of glass, then complain to the council. Why the hell did we waste money on cycle paths if nobody will use them .

Pushing a pram down a country road such as the one the OP has shown, I would consider dangerous and irresponsible. However , that truck would still be far enough away to not hit a pram.

North dublin is not exactly a touring spot for cyclists. North kildare looks like the tour de france at the weekends, with multiple groups of lycra clad, 2 or 3 abreast groups clogging up roads, causing traffic and being an overall nuisance.

Sorry for ya.

What time and areas do drive most? I'd like to add to your troubles. ;)

I reckon even less than that.

I did a quick mess in photoshop and it looks around about 7 widths of the edge of carriageway markings. If they are the maximum of 150mm then the lorry has left 1.05m between himself and the edge of the carriageway for the cyclist.

so assuming the cyclist is as somebody above pointed out, 0.5 meters wide then there is over 0.5 meters left between the cyclist and the truck if the cyclist has kept as left as they should have, thats the width of a dishwasher, well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Happens to me every single weekend. A lot of places there are even cycle paths that the lycra clad crews refuse to use for some reason .

also to the OP - the truck doesn't look that close, you didn't die, if it was really terrifying - pull in and let it pass. Please stop cycling country roads.

I'm not sure what's worse here the sheer ignorance being displayed in this comment or the fact its actually been 'Thanked'
    Clearly a quiet night in AH....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

so assuming the cyclist is as somebody above pointed out, 0.5 meters wide then there is over 0.5 meters left between the cyclist and the truck if the cyclist has kept as left as they should have, thats the width of a dishwasher, well enough.

You need to give cyclists 1.5 meters not 0.5!

Take that a cyclist is going to fall over as you pass. Imagine where there head would be compared to your tyre. You should avoid their head.

As others have posted I am both a petrolhead and cyclist. I drive close to 1000km a week and get out for normally 1 or 2 long cycles. I see it from both sides. I drive as if every cyclis is going to swerve in front of me and cycle as if every car is going to blast through me.

Just tonight I was out for a training spin and the cross winds and wet roads meant I had to stay further out from the verge than normal as I could have easliy ended up going into the ditch if I wasnt carful. The extra slippery manhole covers along the airport meant that it was very easy to slide either way too.

Going around the bendy naul road when I saw there were cars waiting patiently behind me to pass I found the nearest point at which I could safely pull in and let traffic past, I was averaging around 40kmh at that point so not exactly snails pace but was being considerate.

• Advertisement

Poor design is often a problem, section of bike lane with poor on and off slips and lamp posts right in the middle. shared spaces where runner and walkers will end up colliding with a bike traveling between 30 and 50kmh, bike lanes that end in a railing with no way to get off. POor road surfacing because they get put in and forgotten about, in autumn time the leaves are swept into the bike lanes and make mulch thats slippy. There's most of the reasons and I do use the cycle lanes for the most part, normally if I am with a group they get used less often when it is unfeasable to do so with a group but if a proper lane is there it still gets used. Tonight I used the cycle lane all along the road by ALSAA but then needed to turn right at the end of the airport, there is no way of doing so in the cycle lane, also before that from swords to the airport there is no way to go straight on and stay in a cycle lane. THe cycle lane ends where the cars are turning left at speed at a fork and you have to cross that lane of traffic to go straight.

Come up to North Dublin early on a Saturday morning, that's when its busy for cyclists. We try and be considerate and use the roads at times when other users are not around as much, our Saturday morning club ride starts at 7.30am and normally is finished by about 10 or so before little Jimmy has football training and before the lads wake up hungover and go for a drive to the petrol station for hangover breakfast roll

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Glass, leaves, manhole covers, shores and drains, cars, pedestrians, animals, trucks, potholes, hollows to allow for private entrances, you name it!
    The cycle paths in general were box ticking exercises. If a cycle path is any good, it will be used.
    Jesus, please tell me that you're taking the piss?
    Why would it be dangerous and irresponsible to push a pram but not to cycle?
    He wouldn't hit the pram thankfully but that does not mean that there wouldn't be an after effect from the truck passing too close.
    Clogging up the roads? The roads are already clogged up with crap drivers. Nonetheless, cyclists are entitled to cycle on the road and are entitled to do so safely. Vehicles driving unnecessarily close take away this entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I cycle country roads quite a bit, I know what it's like.

Maybe you're just a weekend warrior...

kbannon wrote: »
    Glass, leaves, manhole covers, shores and drains, cars, pedestrians, animals, trucks, potholes, hollows to allow for private entrances, you name it!
    The cycle paths in general were box ticking exercises. If a cycle path is any good, it will be used.
    So your saying most of the cycle paths were a complete waste of time, should we rip them up and return them to proper road for everyone ?

Jesus, please tell me that you're taking the piss?
    Why would it be dangerous and irresponsible to push a pram but not to cycle?
    He wouldn't hit the pram thankfully but that does not mean that there wouldn't be an after effect from the truck passing too close.
    cyclists have helmets and self awareness and are moving at a reasonable speed and can manoeuvre a lot more easily than a pram. I think as a parent, if you want to take your baby for a walk in a pram, drive to somewhere with a kerbed footpath or a park.

Clogging up the roads? The roads are already clogged up with crap drivers. Nonetheless, cyclists are entitled to cycle on the road and are entitled to do so safely. Vehicles driving unnecessarily close take away this entitlement.
    Im talking about the large lycra groups, a single cyclist on a country road is hardly causing a problem (unless they cycle in the middle of the road , refuse to move over or cycle straight through junctions). But this business of large groups choosing routes that are barely wide enough for two cars is a nightmare for all involved.

endacl wrote: »
    Sorry for ya.

What time and areas do drive most? I'd like to add to your troubles. ;)

I think the aggressive tone of this response pretty much sums up the attitude of a lot of cyclists on the road today.

Im talking about the large lycra groups, a single cyclist on a country road is hardly causing a problem (unless they cycle in the middle of the road , refuse to move over or cycle straight through junctions). But this business of large groups choosing routes that are barely wide enough for two cars is a nightmare for all involved.

Is it not better that they chose those quieter routes and effect less people than choosing a busy dual carriage way where they effect more people and are more at risk of being hit?

Is it not better that they chose those quieter routes and effect less people than choosing a busy dual carriage way where they effect more people and are more at risk of being hit?

I wouldn't say they are more at risk of being hit on a dueller. But how about some of those well lit and marked, 50-60km/h roads we possess in Ireland where overtakes are easy , footpaths present for pedestrians and lanes are wide. Also at least say the N7 has a hard shoulder for yee.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Thread Locked. Gone well off topic at this stage and lots of people are posting without having read the forum charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement