Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kayaking if I am 230 lbs?

• 02-08-2016 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

So... myself and my OH are going kayaking this weekend. I am dreading it! I am 230lbs and have a fear that the kayak will sink or the life jacket won't make my float!

We are going in a double kayak as the guy who does it said it would be better for beginners.

Please done mock I am looking for reassurance here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

You'll be grand, just remember, never panic, when you capsize it feels like ages and your drowning but its not even 5 seconds and you're not drowning. As a beginner don't use a splash deck until your comfortable. You can object to the double kayak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

Galway K9 wrote: »
    You'll be grand, just remember, never panic, when you capsize it feels like ages and your drowning but its not even 5 seconds and you're not drowning. As a beginner don't use a splash deck until your comfortable. You can object to the double kayak.

Thanks for replying, what is splash deck, do you think it would be more sturdy in a single Kayak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

If its the sit upon kayaks you will be totally grand.

I was on one only 2 weeks ago - a double at that.

They are virtually indestructible and very stable. No fear of capsizing unless you do something mad like stand up and tip it over.

Even if its not the sit upon ones itll be grand, they cater for all shapes and sizes. 230lb isnt that heavy for a guy, we had at least 2 guys in that range in our group.

The life jacket will definitely float you!

If its the sit upon kayaks you will be totally grand.

I was on one only 2 weeks ago - a double at that.

They are virtually indestructible and very stable. No fear of capsizing unless you do something mad like stand up and tip it over.

Even if its not the sit upon ones itll be grand, they cater for all shapes and sizes. 230lb isnt that heavy for a guy, we had at least 2 guys in that range in our group.

The life jacket will definitely float you!

I am a girl... I presume its the same :)

It would be these kind of Kayak's

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

You'll be fine. I often do beginner classes and have had many people that size in a variety of kayaks. Assume its a sit on top and they are mostly built for beginners to be very stable. You'll be fine after a few minutes of feeling nervous and tippy and then you'll relax and enjoy the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Deenameh

Hi Pecker31,

You will be absolutely fine! I am a lady of similar weight to you and I regularly go kayaking with no issues!

A splash deck is a cover that goes over the front of the kayak to keep your legs dry and prevent water entering the boat. I recommend not using a splash deck if you are a bit claustrophobic or nervous only because they can be difficult to get out of, on the rare occasion of the boat turns over :)

Deenameh wrote: »
    Hi Pecker31,

You will be absolutely fine! I am a lady of similar weight to you and I regularly go kayaking with no issues!

A splash deck is a cover that goes over the front of the kayak to keep your legs dry and prevent water entering the boat. I recommend not using a splash deck if you are a bit claustrophobic or nervous only because they can be difficult to get out of, on the rare occasion of the boat turns over :)

Thank you very much, good to know, my heart rate is settling now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Pecker31 wrote: »
    I am a girl... I presume its the same :)

It would be these kind of Kayak's

lol - absolutely the same!!

Oh theyre the exact ones I was one. They are grand!

You wont capsize, they are dead easy to stay stable and upright on. No worries at all.

We all found we were sore in the hips sitting in the one position in them after a while but you can stretch out by lying back or by sitting sideways and dangling your legs from time to time.

Careful not to smack your thumb between the paddle and the canoe - I did and it was sore!

Advertisement