Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Co Galway - Dog friendly rentals?

Options
  • 02-08-2016 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello! My husband and I are trying to move from Dublin to Galway (ideally within a 40 min drive from the city) and are having a hard time finding a landlord who will accept pets. Can anyone recommend a resource other than Daft that might be helpful?
    Or does someone know of a property available that is small, say 1 or 2 bedroom cottage, with some kind of enclosed area for the doggie? Our budget is a little on the low side - 600/mo or less, since my husband will be in full time education next year and we'd be looking for long term accommodation. :) And for what it's worth, we've a Glen of Imaal Terrier - he doesn't shed at all but he does bark a bit. Not excessively, but when he hears another dog or someone comes to the door.
    Thanks for your help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd suggest trying to get a place in Headford, about a 25 minute drive from the city and would obviously be cheaper than being closer to Galway.

Suggest to any prospective landlord that you will be happy to pay a larger deposit (I know it's not ideal but it should satisfy them) than what they are asking to cover any possible dog damage. Whatever you do don't lie, be upfront and state that all droppings outside will be picked up and disposed of properly etc. The more responsible you appear the more likely your dog will be accepted. I'd advise you though to keep on top of the barking!

If I had property I'd prefer tenants with house trained/obedient pets instead of families as the damage done would be minimal in comparison to what children can get up to!

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You could also look West of Galway. Once you pass Spiddal, on the coast road, prices start to fall. Plus you get miles of glorious coastline for walks. How long are you looking to rent for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ExParrot42

I'd suggest trying to get a place in Headford, about a 25 minute drive from the city and would obviously be cheaper than being closer to Galway.

Suggest to any prospective landlord that you will be happy to pay a larger deposit (I know it's not ideal but it should satisfy them) than what they are asking to cover any possible dog damage. Whatever you do don't lie, be upfront and state that all droppings outside will be picked up and disposed of properly etc. The more responsible you appear the more likely your dog will be accepted. I'd advise you though to keep on top of the barking!

If I had property I'd prefer tenants with house trained/obedient pets instead of families as the damage done would be minimal in comparison to what children can get up to!

Best of luck with it.

We've been trying the bigger deposit, no joy so far. His barking wouldn't be an issue at all in a detached house - I meant more along the lines of him not being an apartment dog. We lived in an apartment for a year, we had to use a bark collar on him which I wasn't overly fussy about. Thin walls and our neighbour once complained our kettle whistled too loud. Our kettle didn't have a whistle!

Headford looks lovely but very little has come up on daft in the last month or so. I'm hoping things pick up in September.

Discodog wrote: »
    You could also look West of Galway. Once you pass Spiddal, on the coast road, prices start to fall. Plus you get miles of glorious coastline for walks. How long are you looking to rent for ?

As long as we can if its a house we like. At this point we'd settle for less than great for a few years at least. We're really looking for a home though - unless things change we've no hope of a mortgage for a long, long time.

ExParrot42 wrote: »
    As long as we can if its a house we like. At this point we'd settle for less than great for a few years at least. We're really looking for a home though - unless things change we've no hope of a mortgage for a long, long time.

I will ask around. A lot of properties are only advertised locally. You should find somewhere between Spiddal & Carrarroe. Where in town will you be commuting to?

• Advertisement

I will ask around. A lot of properties are only advertised locally. You should find somewhere between Spiddal & Carrarroe. Where in town will you be commuting to?

He'll be going to NUI Galway next September, (that's the plan anyway) and would be after retail work until then. I'm a trainee hairdresser. Salons tend to die in the summer so I expect the jobs to pick up again next month.
    We've got ourselves stuck in a loop - I left my job two weeks ago because I couldn't attend job interviews/house viewings while I was working. So now I don't have a work reference, which letting agencies in particular want. But because I'm not in Galway yet, going to interviews is costly and time consuming....Peter Mark interviewed me a few weeks ago and the woman expressed concern that I don't live in Galway...she didn't elaborate but I'm sure she was afraid I couldn't be relied on to get to work or that I'd quit if I couldn't find a house. So we're in a Catch 22...and really not sure what to do! We're banking on a private landlord who will take deposit and a couple of months rent in advance plus a promise that we'll be working. Worst case scenario the dole would more than cover rent in the country plus expenses if we run out of savings, but I'm hoping it wouldn't come to that.

Thanks so much for asking around for us. I should also add we'd need the house to be Internet-able, my family is all back in Canada and I like to go on skype with them.

Do you both drive ? Internet could be a problem in a few locations. You would be best finding a private landlord. The problem is that country people tend to rely on personal references.

Do you both drive ? Internet could be a problem in a few locations. You would be best finding a private landlord. The problem is that country people tend to rely on personal references.

He drives. I used to, but my Canadian license expired as I wasn't able to make the trip home to renew it...I have to get a learners permit like a kid. We were hoping to live somewhere on the local bus route in case there's a day where he can't be my taxi.
    Personal references as in someone who knows me and can affirm that I'm reliable and nice? Or do you mean something from the Garda saying I'm of good character with no record? I'm sorry I don't know, renting a place here is a difficult and unfamiliar process for me!

He drives. I used to, but my Canadian license expired as I wasn't able to make the trip home to renew it...I have to get a learners permit like a kid. We were hoping to live somewhere on the local bus route in case there's a day where he can't be my taxi.
    Personal references as in someone who knows me and can affirm that I'm reliable and nice? Or do you mean something from the Garda saying I'm of good character with no record? I'm sorry I don't know, renting a place here is a difficult and unfamiliar process for me!

There is a bus service along the road from Carrarroe to Galway . By personal references I meant that a lot of rural landlords like to rent to someone that is known in the village.

There is a bus service along the road from Carrarroe to Galway . By personal references I meant that a lot of rural landlords like to rent to someone that is known in the village.

Oh, of course. Seems obvious now, sorry. That won't work :( there's a house on daft in Carraroe, it's beautiful and super affordable but he doesn't answer his phone!

• Advertisement

Oh, of course. Seems obvious now, sorry. That won't work :( there's a house on daft in Carraroe, it's beautiful and super affordable but he doesn't answer his phone!

Look in Inverin as well. It's closer to Galway.

http://property.brick7-ie.com/rent/property/inverin

Just remembered this thread! Ended up finding a lovely place half an hour out of the city. Very quiet and secluded, super affordable and the landlord is really sound :) So it is doable ðŸ‘

Advertisement