Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currency exchange

Options
  • 02-08-2016 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.where is the best place in letterkenny to change euro to sterling. Not from the area ,thinking of making a trip to the north.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Probably the post office since they don't charge commission, but if you want to convert it back later on you have to buy it on something called a Post FX card, according to their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Also OP, taking the post office route would be better than using your debit / credit card in the Sterling area. Remember, there's no commision charged but a "cross - border handling fee" is applied by the Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

There are currency exchange places at the border crossing points which would easily beat the post office most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yes - if you cross at Lifford Strabane, there is one that has a shop next to the pet shop at Daly's Garage - in Asda or there is another one the road into Strabane. All pretty similar - Asda will be the highest out of the 3 - the one next to the pet shop I usually find to be best price by a cent or two - all cheaper than the post office.

If you're looking to change more than £500 = then phone first as rates are better the more you change so worth phoning around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I work in Derry but live in Donegal and have to change a lot each month.

The bureau in Whitehouse retail in Derry is far the best for me. Always beats the banks, Tesco and the other Bridgend bureau.

The more you change the better the rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I work in Derry but live in Donegal and have to change a lot each month.

The bureau in Whitehouse retail in Derry is far the best for me. Always beats the banks, Tesco and the other Bridgend bureau.

The more you change the better the rate.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I use currencyfair. You get the full interbank rate, which works out as a few extra cents per pound versus the local exchange outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Also a user of Currency Fair here, ideal to use but you have to have bank accounts North and South to move money to yourself.

I have bank accounts in both countries so I'll check it out, thanks.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I have bank accounts in both countries so I'll check it out, thanks.

If you have its perfect, save yourself plenty if you change money regularly.

• Advertisement

Guys that use Currency Fair - I'm just opening an account with BOI and seems like they are going to charge for just about everything.

My understanding of currency fair is that I just do an online sterling transfer to them (which is free from my sterling account) and they do an online transfer to my euro current account. I'm not sure what type of transfer that euro transaction will be - does anyone have an idea of what fees they are charged per transfer in their euro bank accounts?

Getting a new bathroom so really want the best rates.

As ever, I really appreciate the help!

Thank you

I'm just using it for the first time and from what I can see it coats €3 or £2.50 each time I withdraw.

I changed just over £1k into € and got about €9 more than if I changed in the bureau.

Might not seem like much, but I change the same amount each month so that over €100 a year. Plus I can do it from the comfort of the couch rather than:
    *Withdraw cash (2 trips to the atm due to the daily limit)
    *Change it at the bureau
    *Lodge it at the post office

Yes there is a small fee, but it doesn't change no matter how much you are changing.

Even factoring in this charge, its still better value.

As for coming North to shop,would you not be better just using your ATM card in the North to take out sterling? Your bank should give you the official exchange rate at that time, and this should also save on the middle men taking their cut.

I work in Derry and get paid in sterling. Live in Donegal so new bathroom from there (Big stuff is usually a hassle - or they won't deliver over the border)

Advertisement