Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness storehouse area. Is this safe?

Options
  • 02-08-2016 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,
    I'm thinking of buying an apartment in Pim Street, D8, close to the Guinness storehouse.
    A taxi driver told me he would never live there because it's not a safe area.
    I noticed that the closest bus stop is about 5/600 m. from the building, which means I'll have to walk through lanes at evenings times (around 7). Any thought/suggestion will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aperally

Thanks, Mr. S
    I was thinking to have a stroll there in the evening but I'm afraid summer evenings are different than winters' ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I lived in Kilmainham (SCR end) when attending college in the city centre, about 10 years ago. I regularly walked to/from college, Thomas St., James St, cutting through the hospital, at all hours of the day and night.
    I never experienced issues, at all, by myself.
    The only issue in 4 years was when I walked home with a friend (I had parked car at home, and was giving the friend a lift somewhere) and we got hassled about 3 times on the way home - wallet inspector wannabes, cast from third generation jobless families.
    My point is, in these areas with reputations, a lot of it is to do with how you carry yourself - if you look vulnerable, you can be a target. If not, you'll be fine, and see that people are people.

I occasionally went via Marrowbone lane route, and to be honest I didn't as safe - mainly I think due to lack of passing traffic.

See for yourself OP - a Firday night (at any time of the year) can be quite revealing for an area.

WHat's the purpose of buying - looking to live somewhere and work in city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aperally

Thanks Dardania, I'm working in the city center as you guessed. I'm trying to buy something 'cause it's too hard to find good places to rent nowadays, especially for singles foreign professionals whom apparently aren't landlords' first choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mr.S wrote: »
    Tbh, the only annoyance about the area is the amount of fearless kids who roam the streets, but the are generally harmless

I was going to say something similar. I knew someone who lived on Cork Street and there were always kids around, sometimes trying to follow her into her apartment building. They were also not afraid to throw bangers and other lit fireworks at people around Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Call the location garda station and see what they have to say about the area. I have a friend who lives around Fatima and he said literally a ton of houses have been brought by middle class professionals, gutted and the area has completely changed almost over night. Parts of the area are a dump, but many areas are now more middle class than you would have guessed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My friend lived near thomas st, in apartment block,
    kids always trying to get into apartment.s ,
    cars being vandalised . that was 8 years ago.
    These were kids from the council block about a mile from thomas st.
    In the city centre ,give money to no one, give no one cigarettes .
    otherwise you,ll be seen as a pushover .
    a man is safer than a woman .
    don,t walk around with a phone in your hand in certain area.s .
    go into shop to text,or to make a short phone call.
    its a working class area .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

I think its a charismatic part of Dublin with a great vibe and some very genuine and lovely people.

In fact, I'd love an apartment there myself.

That being said, if I was to have children, I wouldn't want them growing up there. Unfortunately there's still a lot of bad eggs floating around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Think there's a halting site on that street too IIRC. Used to cycle past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

The halting site was moved on recently enough so its not there any more. I live in an apartment very close to there and its grand. The worst issue we had was a smashed car window a few years ago - kids throwing stones. Really close to the Luas which is handy but also walking distance to everywhere in the city centre. There is a pub there that can get a bit loud with locals now and then and its not the type of place you'd go unless you were born and bred there.

Kids can be a bit annoying at time. Not sure its somewhere I would want to buy and live long term/raising kids etc but have been living there nearly 4 years and never felt unsafe walking around at any time of the day/night

Like most working class area,s ,theres ., good people ,
    average people , some bad people ,some criminals ,
    some kids who cause trouble ,or commit vandalism .
    Or kids who can be threatening to some people .
    And theres middle class people who tend to live in the apartments .
    some pubs are best avoided unless you are a working class person .
    i have,nt been there in 3 years except to pass it in a bus .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

Mr.S wrote: »
    I can see why people don't like cork street & the surrounding areas, if you aren't 'used' to the area, you will label it as dodgy and unsafe looking. But really it's grand.

Friends of mine lived on Cork st for a few years and while nothing serious happened to them, they were never happy living there. Kids were constantly hanging around the entrance to their apartment block shouting at them and trying to get in. Cars parked on the road suffered minor but deliberate damage. More kids hanging around the entrance to the shop harassing people going in and out and there were a few more serious things that they saw (people being mugged, cars being stolen, cars being crashed and driven away).

It's all stuff you could live with but you'd want to be very sure of that before you buy a place and commit to living there long term. My friends loved the apartment but, after a few years, hated the idea of going outside their front door and to be honest, I couldn't blame them.

IS there some glorious part of the city centre where no one ever gets mugged or phones are not robbed ,cars are not robbed ,or vandalised .
    Anywhere where there are crowds and teenagers tend,s to have some crime.
    Buy in area x,if its a good price, you are single. houses in certain area,s tend to be cheaper posh area=higher price .
    And it matters are you a woman or a man.
    women walking in certain area,s will be more vunerable .
    Or liable to get mugged .
    unless you think theres another house price crash ,in 5-10 years you can sell up,
    and move elsewhere .
    Look at the building ,does it have an intercom on the front door,
    security gates ,is there any security camera,s in the building.

Advertisement