Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running on the road v pavement/safety

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 magicpd

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I never said they did, I'm not the one that mentioned the RSA and what you should do, you did.

How do you know it was from the square in Lucan, are you and the OP the same person?

I think that was where the original poster said it was. In lucan somehwere if you read back?

When there is no footpath a pedestrian must walk or run on the right hand side of the road, towards oncoming traffic. It's in the same section of the rules of the road you quotes earlier. Of course when there is a footpath, they should be on it (as long as it's not obstructed by parked vehicles, cyclists, etc).

Technically it says you need to walk on the right hand side not run. That's whats on the rules. Think that the bottom line is that since pedestrians will die in case of error they are probably the one who needs to be most careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

magicpd wrote: »
    I think that was where the original poster said it was. In lucan somehwere if you read back?

Ah, apologies to all, somehow missed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

magicpd wrote: »
    Technically it says you need to walk on the right hand side not run. That's whats on the rules. Think that the bottom line is that since pedestrians will die in case of error they are probably the one who needs to be most careful
    Running is simply fast-walking. The rules of the road don't legislate for the speed of walking.

What we need is a new set of rules. All motorised vehicle traffic should slow to 15km/hour, when there is no footpath present. I'll start the petition now. Problem solved. You can go back to the problems of eflow and tolltags, that seem to be bother you (and incidentally Craigevans1985 and Foo King Ell).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Foo King Ell

Running is simply fast-walking. The rules of the road don't legislate for the speed of walking.

What we need is a new set of rules. All motorised vehicle traffic should slow to 15km/hour, when there is no footpath present. I'll start the petition now. Problem solved. You can go back to the problems of eflow and tolltags, that seem to be bother you (and incidentally Craigevans1985 and Foo King Ell).

Delighted that you're not one of the 80,000 people affected by the other stuff, feel free to stalk away. I have issues with Irish water, loud exhausts, cyclists with head cameras and much more, you'll find me there later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Delighted that you're not one of the 80,000 people affected by the other stuff, feel free to stalk away. I have issues with Irish water, loud exhausts, cyclists with head cameras and much more, you'll find me there later.

Life is too short, just enjoy it.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Craigevans1985

Okay, I'm throwing up my hands. I don't think I was driving too fast, I do run and cycle and thought that this was a bit off given that it's not something I would do. I'll keep sticking to the pavement, and I'll crawl around the corner next time in case I come across one of you who decides to run down the road.

Okay, I'm throwing up my hands. I don't think I was driving too fast, I do run and cycle and thought that this was a bit off given that it's not something I would do. I'll keep sticking to the pavement, and I'll crawl around the corner next time in case I come across one of you who decides to run down the road.

When you said the square, were you talking about the village in Lucan?
    Where exactly was it, just trying to figure out the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Djoucer wrote: »

Sometimes I’m going so fast that when someone beeps it throws me a bit and I lose control of my legs.

Doubtful for ultra runners. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Craigevans1985

When you said the square, were you talking about the village in Lucan? .

Yes, not sure how well you know it. The main street is largely full of cars parked on both sides, it's narrow enough as is. Here if that helps. 53.357478, -6.449777, last thing I expected was a runner on the road. But I will next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, not sure how well you know it. The main street is largely full of cars parked on both sides, it's narrow enough as is. Here if that helps. 53.357478, -6.449777, last thing I expected was a runner on the road. But I will next time.
    Presumably you were coming out of the square and turning left. In all fairness, there's no way you could have been coming out of there at any speed, visibility to your right is non-existent, and you're basically not expecting anything to be coming from your left. So you check the right, if it's clear, you go.

So it's understandable why you unconsciously "ignored" the road to your left - this is something we all do from time to time, especially on roads we're familiar with. Making assumptions causes a lot of accidents, but like I say we all do it from time to time. For example, just because a road is one-way, doesn't mean nothing is coming down it the wrong way. But how often have you made the assumption that nothing is? I know I have.

The runner for his part was probably on the road because the path(s) were busy, so he ran outside the cars. He should have the good sense to realise that vehicles coming out of side roads won't be expecting him, and to avoid placing himself in a situation where he might get struck by a car who hasn't spotted him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Foo King Ell

seamus wrote: »
    Presumably you were coming out of the square and turning left. In all fairness, there's no way you could have been coming out of there at any speed, visibility to your right is non-existent, and you're basically not expecting anything to be coming from your left. So you check the right, if it's clear, you go.

So it's understandable why you unconsciously "ignored" the road to your left - this is something we all do from time to time, especially on roads we're familiar with. Making assumptions causes a lot of accidents, but like I say we all do it from time to time. For example, just because a road is one-way, doesn't mean nothing is coming down it the wrong way. But how often have you made the assumption that nothing is? I know I have.

The runner for his part was probably on the road because the path(s) were busy, so he ran outside the cars. He should have the good sense to realise that vehicles coming out of side roads won't be expecting him, and to avoid placing himself in a situation where he might get struck by a car who hasn't spotted him.

Kinda echoing my thought. Its not what i would have done if i was running. I had my two near misses as a runner crossing the road and that was enough for me to run without assumption. As a driver i need to not assume that everyone else is taking the same care as a runner. That's my take away. 😀

Actually the runner was an idiot for running on that road when busy. He/she won't be around long if he/she keeps doing that there.

I know the area well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I've grumbled a lot previously re the arrogance and recklessness of cyclists, but I notice on the thread that quite a few people assume the pedestrian or runner would come off worse in any incident with a cyclist. This has been disproved on a number of occasions, quite recently with fatal consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Runners are at the bottom of the chain, if something hits us thats running finished.
    Always think safety.

If you have to run on the road , run on the right facing the traffic. But not always, use common sense
    Use your ears
    If there's a path use it
    If there's a safer hard shoulder on the left side use it
    Wear something so you can be seen
    Use your ears
    If your going around a bend that goes to the right go on the left side of the road
    And use your ears
    Don't be afraid to warn other road users. Wave down cars if you can see/hear something coming the opposite way that they cannot
    I'm still lost at dangerous s bends, better try and avoid
    Did I say use your ears.

I've grumbled a lot previously re the arrogance and recklessness of cyclists, but I notice on the thread that quite a few people assume the pedestrian or runner would come off worse in any incident with a cyclist. This has been disproved on a number of occasions, quite recently with fatal consequences.

I would say the odds are stacked against the runner. Cyclist hit me on footpath 4 years ago, I had to get physio for 4 weeks, cyclist was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Yea, for some reason, this is quite prevalent on the road going from Bray to Shankhill. I can't really understand this because they have just layed some brand new tarmac paths that could not be a better surface for running on. I can somewhat understand it (if not quite condone it) when there is an uneven concrete path with a big wide road beside it but this just takes the biscuit. I do think that Waterford Whispers article captures the sense of entitlement and arrogance perfectly. Get over yourself and run on the path like every normal, self respecting human being :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yea, for some reason, this is quite prevalent on the road going from Bray to Shankhill. I can't really understand this because they have just layed some brand new tarmac paths that could not be a better surface for running on. I can somewhat understand it (if not quite condone it) when there is an uneven concrete path with a big wide road beside it but this just takes the biscuit. I do think that Waterford Whispers article captures the sense of entitlement and arrogance perfectly. Get over yourself and run on the path like every normal, self respecting human being :D
    It's the graveyard. It's spooky. :)

Yeah, can't understand it myself. A lot of runners run on the road on that stretch, and I cannot fathom why. Runners should always use the footpath, where it is available. But there is an equal but opposite sense of entitlement on the roads where there is no footpath. Motorized vehicle drivers exhibit that same sense of entitlement, however, in this case, they are putting others lives at risk, rather than their own.

Advertisement