Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco - home delivery - outraged!

Options
  • 02-08-2016 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I ordered a delivery of wine from Tesco last week only to find that when delivered today the price has almost doubled, so you have no idea what price you are going to pay until the items are delivered.

Also to return the wine I am going to have to pay for what was "free delivery".

Never again!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco are clear. You are charged upon delivery. It was up to you to note that a promotion was finishing before the delivery date. So you would have had an idea how much you would be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I find this very hard to believe. When I order a delivery the money gets blocked at the time of ordering. Sounds like a different issue, have you called tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

No Snubbleste is correct. I just did not realise that anyone operated this way, I assumed when I ordered this is what I would pay.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, are just here to rant or have you bothered to even query this with Tesco?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Zelda247 wrote: »
    No Snubbleste is correct. I just did not realise that anyone operated this way, I assumed when I ordered this is what I would pay.

You assumed wrongly,
    Next time read the website and Terms & Conditions you agreed to, then you won't get surprised and assume things incorrectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

(In the UK but...) There's a disclaimer on the website stating that the price on the screen is an approximation and can change if promotions end. Whenever something becomes significantly more expensive, the delivery guy points out the change and I can just refuse to take that product. Same with any substitutions or other issues.

Did they not tell you on delivery? If it's like here, the delivery guy should give you the receipt and ask you to check it before he goes away. That's when you can send anything back.

No, delivery guy did not mention a change in price.

I know I assumed wrongly and will read the T&C's next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Over dramatic catchy tabloid style subject... i come in to find it's just ignorance. Disappointing.

Personally, never had a problem with tesco home delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tesco do charge based on the actual delivery date. So if a promotion has ended between you ordering and receiving the delivery, you will pay the current price. But the delivery men do usually point out there things have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

so you have no idea what price you are going to pay until the items are delivered.

You do, because it tells you until when that price is valid until.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

This happened to me last year. Wine went from €8 to €16 per bottle. Was not told by delivery man. Only found out when I checked receipt. Had to return it to Tesco for refund. I have not shopped in Tesco since. I can not understand why the product can not be given at advertised price when ordered, all other on line retailers do this. It makes X farce of online shopping in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Um, folks... I just went to Tesco online to test this. I put an item in my cart that was on a promotion that expires on the 9th. Then I selected a delivery slot on the 10th. As soon as I did so, a message appeared in red in the shopping cart that said, To qualify you need to Change delivery slot as this promotion is only valid until 9/8/2016.

Honestly, if people just read things that were right in front of their noses, my tech support job would have to go to part-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MrBob

As Speedwell said it will inform you if the promotion is not valid for you delivery date.

But if the normal price of an item changes from the time you order and the time the item is picked, you are charged the price of when the items was picked. You are not notified on the receipt of this change and the only way to find this it to compare the receipt to the email received when the goods are ordered. This happens on a lot of items usually by a few cent but it can all add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

MrBob wrote: »
    But if the normal price of an item changes from the time you order and the time the item is picked, you are charged the price of when the items was picked. You are not notified on the receipt of this change and the only way to find this it to compare the receipt to the email received when the goods are ordered. This happens on a lot of items usually by a few cent but it can all add up.

Oh, I see what you mean. That's different. I had read the OP as saying that they purchased something on a promotional deal that was not valid on the day of delivery (half price on wine would have been that sort of thing).

Speedwell wrote: »
    Oh, I see what you mean. That's different. I had read the OP as saying that they purchased something on a promotional deal that was not valid on the day of delivery (half price on wine would have been that sort of thing).

That's correct.

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Over dramatic catchy tabloid style subject... i come in to find it's just ignorance. Disappointing.

Personally, never had a problem with tesco home delivery.

Is it necessary to be so condesending?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

Tesco did not inform me of price change when I ordered my wine. They were getting so many complaints that they had to notify customers of price changes but this is a recent development

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

peppa 1986 wrote: »
    Tesco did not inform me of price change when I ordered my wine. They were getting so many complaints that they had to notify customers of price changes but this is a recent development

I don't get how Tesco UK can have excellent customer service (they will text/ring us if they'll be a minute or two over the estimated delivery time!) while Tesco Ireland only take action after a lot of complaints... if they ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Speedwell wrote: »
    I put an item in my cart that was on a promotion that expires on the 9th. Then I selected a delivery slot on the 10th. As soon as I did so, a message appeared in red in the shopping cart that said, To qualify you need to Change delivery slot as this promotion is only valid until 9/8/2016.
    I wonder what happens if they pull an offer early. I have seen this several times now, an offer is said to end on a specific date and then the offer is no longer available before that date comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I ordered a delivery of wine from Tesco last week only to find that when delivered today the price has almost doubled, so you have no idea what price you are going to pay until the items are delivered.

Also to return the wine I am going to have to pay for what was "free delivery".

Never again!
    I am working on the assumption that the wine was not on any special offer or special price with an offer end date.

You are entitled to be informed of any change in price for any item that you order, you were informed on the receipt but your delivery driver should also have told you that x items had increased in price. If they don't inform you then you have the right to return the goods to them and get a full refund.

This happened me a few times but I rang and asked them about it and usually got issued a refund of the item or the difference.

On the occasion I was refused a refund I just suggested that for future orders I would keep the drivers there until I had checked the Weights and pack sizes, best before dates, the condition and also the prices charged on the receipt for each and every item and that it would take longer due to my poor eyesight.

• Advertisement

It says on Tesco's T&C's that if the delivery price is higher than what you thought you were paying (i.e. 11.99 instead of 7.00 euros per bottle) you get a refund. I am bringing the wine back on Tuesday.

The driver was not Irish and did not mention the change in the price I only noticed it when he had left and I was unpacking the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just as an aside. The nationality of the delivery driver has nothing to do with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 The Codemaster

dudara wrote: »
    Tesco do charge based on the actual delivery date. So if a promotion has ended between you ordering and receiving the delivery, you will pay the current price. But the delivery men do usually point out there things have changed.

Exactly. And the website usually tells me if certain promotions will have ended before my delivery date. And it also tells me what promotions I have missed out on.

You usually select your delivery slot after finishing your shopping (you can pre-select, but most people don't) - so how are they supposed to know when you want your delivery, thus be able to tell you which offers will have expired? They can only show you current offers - I assumed that was common knowledge.

Just as an aside. The nationality of the delivery driver has nothing to do with it.

I am aware of that its just that the guy had very little English so he might not have know how to tell me about the price change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't get how Tesco UK can have excellent customer service (they will text/ring us if they'll be a minute or two over the estimated delivery time!) while Tesco Ireland only take action after a lot of complaints... if they ever do.

Well that's not true. If a driver is going to be late I've gotten calls, I've even had calls just to let me know he's on his way.

Good News.... after many emails of complaint I got a refund for the difference!

Advertisement