Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing a Crown Comfort

• 02-08-2016 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I've been looking online the last few days at one of these;
    https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/toyota/crown+comfort/19094726/

Just a few questions that i dont know the answer to, i cant for the life of me seem to calculate the VRT on them as ROS.IE dosent seem to have them on the list and cant find a email address to query it

They're basically a 2011 car with 1990's engineering and a LPG only engine that (id assume) VRT would be cheap enough. If I did manage to get my hands on one i'd be taxiing her.

Anyone have any experience running a oddball Jap Import here for parts and the like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

is that an ex-taxi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Revenue don't deal with VRT queries directly from the public anymore since the NCT took over VRT affairs. You could try ringing the VRT section of the NCT but my guess is that as the car is not on their VRT database you will told they can only query the cost of VRT with Revenue when the car is in front of them. So the OMSP could be whatever they come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

I haven't heard of any JDM VRT prices under €1500 in a long time. JZS171 Crowns have been pushing 2k so don't expect €300 anyway!

On top of the €11k that car is costing with almost 200k miles on it, I cannot fathom why you would buy one :confused:

In fairness aside from the practicality of being designed as a taxi, it may hold some nostalgia to the OP as maybe a London black cab or New York yellow cab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A 2011 car with nearly 300,000km on it. That's a lot of wear and tear, and a taxi as well.

Speaking of using it as a taxi.. I'd imagine that on a practical level you would have issues with what looks like a small boot, and the point that it does look like something from the mid 90s. If it's engineered the same way, would the regulator even let you use it here? Even if they did, would people get into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Min VRT is €730.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

bazz26 wrote: »
    In fairness aside from the practicality of being designed as a taxi, it may hold some nostalgia to the OP as maybe a London black cab or New York yellow cab.

This.

Havent found a car that I like in a long while and i've always had a soft spot for JDM barges, seen this and I fully intend doing a feasibility study on importing and taxiing one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

If its LPG only then that will be a right pain due to the lack of LPG availability outside urban centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What I really want to know is what does the red lever at the bottom right of drivers seat do :pac:

03.jpg?height=525&width=700&type=crop

What I really want to know is what does the red lever at the bottom right of drivers seat do :pac:

03.jpg?height=525&width=700&type=crop

Its a rocket ejector seat which ejects you out through the roof just before you crash. ;)

• Advertisement

Allows the driver to close the rear doors without having to get out of the car would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I Was VB wrote: »
    This.

Havent found a car that I like in a long while and i've always had a soft spot for JDM barges, seen this and I fully intend doing a feasibility study on importing and taxiing one.

Not offence but if I ordered a taxi or hailed one on the street and that stopped I wouldn't be getting in.

If it was pissing rain at 2 in the morning most customers wouldn't be so fussy.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not offence but if I ordered a taxi or hailed one on the street and that stopped I wouldn't be getting in.

If buying one elimantes close minded idiots from my taxi it's more of reason to buy one....... No offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Allows the driver to close the rear doors without having to get out of the car would be my guess.

Correct, but the rear passenger door only to be exact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

You wont be doing much business in that case. Whenever I can, I try to hail a newish car on the street. No airbags or ABS, little in the way of comfort despite it's name, I can't see anyone wanting to get in to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Whenever I can, I try to hail a newish car on the street. No airbags or ABS, little in the way of comfort despite it's name, I can't see anyone wanting to get in to be honest.

Me too, a taxi costs enough as it is. I'm not going to pay to be driven home in an avensis with half a million miles on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Neilw wrote: »
    Me too, a taxi costs enough as it is. I'm not going to pay to be driven home in an avensis with half a million miles on it.

That's 50% of the taxi drivers out the window straight away then!

Good luck having choice in the taxi car at 3 am on a Saturday for example. You're lucky to get a taxi altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

I'd sooner get into this than the new dacias that's all over dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Why people are pissing on the ops parade I don't know.
    I couldn't give two fcuks what picks me up as long as it is capable of actually getting to my destination then I'm fine with it.
    People turning their nose at a taxi solely because it isn't a 162 0.7 tdi Audi is just utter idiocy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bear1 wrote: »
    162 0.7 tdi Audi

lol :)

Regardless of whether we like or dislike the car though, as I asked above, the bigger question is if he'd be allowed use it? Didn't the regulator impose a maximum age to try and get rid of the older fleet?

A 2011 car with (per the OP) 90's engineering and standards seems like a bit of a fudge they might not like - in the same way as I doubt they'd approve a Carina-E that had been sitting in storage from delivery until the last few years.

If the OP wants to buy it because he likes it then fair enough, but basing his business on it seems a bit risky unless he's answered this question and factored in that turning up in something from the 90s may put potential customers off - this forum is not representative of the masses after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wonder about the practicalities of having the only example of a model in Ireland and possibly Europe as a working vehicle. If you're waiting on parts you're not earning money.

I'd much prefer to sit in with the OP in his Crown Comfort than some lad in an Carina or modern car; I take the view that all taxis here should follow the German Mercedes model (exceptions for the VB of course). I've gotten taxis in Singapore before and it is one of my great automotive memories of sitting into a Crown and getting it to the Hotel as I was well and truely shattered after what was also my first ever long haul flight greater than 7 hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Colm_mcm has hit the nail on the head. Replacement parts. Lovely motor as it is, and a lot of the jdm stuff I hold with fond memory,their biggest downfall was replacement parts. I worked my apprenticeship in a jap import garage in the late ninties and I can say now the first item to break under the bonnet of that LPG only Toyota Crown will render it useless.
    I'm sorry to say there is a reason why Avensis' & Octavia's are so popular with the taxi crowd. Their cheap to repair & there's plenty around in breakers if your that way inclined.
    If you really want something nicer than the usual see if you can get a Camry in from England.

They stopped selling camrys in the uk before we did though.

colm_mcm wrote:
    They stopped selling camrys in the uk before we did though.

Did they? Thought it was the other way around. Skip that so, buy a Skoda Superb. Their really very good, very very good. Need a better word to discribe it but nothing comes to mind. ðŸ˜

I'm currently driving a 07 mondeo and I have to say it's a poxy car that I've no love in I don't like driving it I don't like the looks of it only reason I bought it was it was sub 10 years old per the NTAs request, looking around for something I want to spend 70 hours a week in that's roomy and automatic with a bit of character and the Crown fits the bill, would like a Merc but I'm not lashing out €20k on a 6 year old one. Superbs are a nice car but very few come as automatic and the ones that do are north of €16k for a 2010 again too much money for what they are. Prius are far too small for me and where I work is very hilly and I don't think a 1.5 auto is cut out for it.
    New avensis are pure dirt, seen far too many d4d units pissing white smoke out of 12.131 cars

The Crown is fit for the bill for me, the only concern is spare parts and if the NTA will pass her out, phonecalls will have to be made.

What about something like a Hyundai XG or something like a Cadillac from the uk?. Not sure where you stand on fuel economy

I know you like Carinas, but are those crowns actually comfortable, are the seats supportive for an Irish sized person for example

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What about something like a Hyundai XG or something like a Cadillac from the uk?. Not sure where you stand on fuel economy

I know you like Carinas, but are those crowns actually comfortable, are the seats supportive for an Irish sized person for example

Was looking at a Grandeur and they're tasty looking machines, I'd have to LPG convert it if i was to buy one 3.3 V6, Delish!

Yeah, grandeur was what I meant by XG, the one that looks like a big sonata.

Any issues with lpg tank in taxi, will it affect having a spare wheel?

That's the way I'd go, the Korean Lexus like.

Yeah, grandeur was what I meant by XG, the one that looks like a big sonata.

Any issues with lpg tank in taxi, will it affect having a spare wheel?

Good few lads have them converted, even a few even converted a Prius!

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2011/03/10/toyota-chief-ill-take-the-taxi/

Even MR Toyota himself loves them! And chose the Crown Comfort as his favorite Toyota, still not good enough for some on here though :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

I had been wondering the same. I'm sure they're grand for the smooth(er) streets of Tokyo, but it looks sort of bone rattling for Ireland.

Full respect for the JDM taxi idea though. One of the most comfortable taxi journeys I ever had was in Cork in a Skyline saloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

They probably would be suitable as a taxi until you have to put lpg into them, I can't imagine them being economical at all? Why not get a GS450H?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Call your insurer too before you go ahead with it, some have problems covering lpg.

Casati wrote: »
    They probably would be suitable as a taxi until you have to put lpg into them, I can't imagine them being economical at all? Why not get a GS450H?

Its a LPG only engine, believe it or believe it not the GS450H is too small to taxi as the batteries in the boot take up too much space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

shietpilot wrote: »

Good luck having choice in the taxi car at 3 am on a Saturday for example. You're lucky to get a taxi altogether.

It's been a long long time since there's been a shortage of taxis at any time of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's been a long long time since there's been a shortage of taxis at any time of the night.

Not in the centre of Dublin early Saturday/Sunday morning. Taxi drivers don't even bother doing call outs since they can drive a meter and pick someone up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your Insurance will be ****e on that

You wont get parts for it

Servicing will be a nightmare.

Your main money earner is the car.

Based on all of the above i cant for the life of me think why you think this would be better than your Mondeo.

Dream land man, Dream land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Op may I recommend a Toyota Century Mk2 VI2. The thinking man's Lexus.

While this 2015 model is out of budget these thinks have barely changed since they came out.

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car_smart/japan car/toyota/century/18988237/?sp=49

ba_barabus wrote:
    Op may I recommend a Toyota Century Mk2 VI2. The thinking man's Lexus.

:-)))

Feck it go the whole hog and get a Merc S500 V12 and LPG that.

:-)))

Feck it go the whole hog and get a Merc S500 V12 and LPG that.

I'd prefer the refined over 20 years Century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There is a Camry sitting on the lot of Erne Motors in Cavan for the last 18 months. (They are Toyota main dealers)
    Owner bought a new Toyota in a straight deal, and left it there for sale.
    Had a look at it myself, but salesman reports owner wont take a penny less than 1000 euro .........

What about the Chrysler 300C?

What about the Chrysler 300C?

Is there any left that haven't been a taxi?

Must be a good thing if they are popular with taxi drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Is it on the approved list for use as a taxi? Would it pass a suitability test? The list is very strict nowadays and a lot of cars that are available on the market today are not deemed suitable, a late model Mondeo in Titanium spec for example, in standard form this is not suitable as a taxi under the rules as it has privacy glass as standard. A no no for suitability test, I would tread carefully on what you choose for your taxi OP. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I can't understand anyone who'd pick another Skoda Octavia over that for a taxi ride. I love it, would take it any time.

Red Kev wrote: »
    I can't understand anyone who'd pick another Skoda Octavia over that for a taxi ride. I love it, would take it any time.

Whereas I for example can't see the appeal at all. It hasn't aged well design-wise, the interior is overwhelmingly grey and plastic, the dash is archaic and it doesn't look like somewhere I'd want to spend most of my day as a driver.

I'm not saying an Octavia is the answer either, but I don't think importing something like this to satisfy an enthusiast's desire for unique/quirkly while also needing it to be practical is going to work in this instance.

If the OP intends to run it as a taxi, it needs to be readily servicable (time off the road waiting on parts means no money incoming), meet the requirements for use as a taxi (can't see it myself TBH), and be attractive to prospective customers (and let's face it... most non-enthusiasts would probably think WTF if this turned up to collect them).

TL;DR? Business needs outweigh enthusiast desires in this instance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement