Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Boot issues

Options
  • 02-08-2016 4:00pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So with Friday being the last day to get windows 10 I took the plunge on my PC - I use it for work so its in the office. Update went through but when I boot I am just getting the spinning dots on the screen - I can boot into safe mode but not a normal boot.

Have tried a few things I have seen online like disabling the onboard graphics - no joy

Disabling startup items for a clean boot - no joy

Anyone got any suggestions or know what the issue might be?

Updating from Win 7 on a machine I put together myself.

Edit: Also to add sometimes I get a BSOD with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Axwell wrote: »
    So with Friday being the last day to get windows 10 I took the plunge on my PC - I use it for work so its in the office. Update went through but when I boot I am just getting the spinning dots on the screen - I can boot into safe mode but not a normal boot.

Have tried a few things I have seen online like disabling the onboard graphics - no joy

Disabling startup items for a clean boot - no joy

Anyone got any suggestions or know what the issue might be?

Updating from Win 7 on a machine I put together myself.

Edit: Also to add sometimes I get a BSOD with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Did you take a system image before doing the upgrade? Can you roll back to that and try and upgrade using Windows 10 ISO?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You can roll back from within Windows 10, not sure though if ininstall from an ISO will it read my activation from win7 still now the free date has passed?

I think the issue is graphics card related. When i look in the device manager i cant see my graphics card listed, just the default onboard. When I went on to the amd website i downloaded their new tool instead of catalyst control centre but i am getting a device detection error - possibly as it wont identify it properly in safe mode? Although not sure thats true, maybe someone can confirm.

If its that its a catch 22 at the minute as it wont boot normally to just install and in safe mode it wont detect.

I disconnected the cables going to the card and set the onboard one as primary in the bios to try and bypass it but when i boot up i get that system_service_exception bsod.

Advertisement