Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace lights with with timer

Options
  • 02-08-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi. The boiler has a built in timer that died and a switch exactly the same as a light switch on the wall. Right now I need to put it on constant set a timer on the phone then turn it off. My question is. Is it a simple basic job to replace the power switch on the wall with a timer or is it more difficult then it appears and would be best getting a professional in for
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

this would not be a difficult job for an electrician and that would be the general advice here, get a REC.
    He / she would most likely get something as simple as an APT mechanical timer (cheap) to a Siemens programmable digital unit . These units might have something as simple as live neutral and earth in with live neutral and switched live out with the switched live being timer controlled, and a permanent live for the boiler for fan/circulation for a period after the timer has run out all depending on your set up.

If you are worried a out someone making a meal of this while talking to you about doing it there are videos on same John Ward is a good guy here, i havent wathced this but this is a falvour of whats there, currently no sound on my PC.!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYwm7SmslyM

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭patrickspicture

thank you for replying. i need to get an electrician for a bunch of other things but not quite ready for him yet. would rather get someone in to do lots of little things instead of one or 2 here and there.

the boiler is 20 years old and looking at the video you sent i would say there is no control live or pump live, but i am not 100% on that. if it does have the control or pump live then the switch on the wall wouldn't be wired for that and it is more work then i wanted to do.

I planned on going with the honeywell evohome to replace the timer which i was ordering next month but will order it now and get someone to install.

Thank you for your time replying, the video you sent and saving me the trouble of buying a cheap timer to find out it might not work because of the extra wires.

Advertisement