Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some guide / estimations / help?!

Options
  • 02-08-2016 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi all,

As a first time buyer it's been exceedingly hard to find anything within budget, and in a good location. I've finally found something in the best location, but needs work.

It's approximately an 80m2 house, pre-cast concrete, built in 1970s with a huuuuge garden.

Now, without knowing much about anything, we have around 50-60k to do work on this house, but the question is, what can we get done for that amount.

What we absolutely need doing is the following:

- Rewiring
    - New heating system
    - New bathroom

What we want to do in addition to the above is the following:

- double story extension... sort of.

The extension we want downstairs is basically about 15-18m2 on the ground floor - kitchen/dining area. Upstairs, we just want to extend one of the bedrooms, not have an entirely new room.

If we're building an extension upstairs - would we only be able to extend out to as far as the kitchen will be, or can we extend to a halfway point?

Extending out to as far as the kitchen will be would probably create too much space in the room upstairs... Does this make sense?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how much makes sense, if it makes more financial sense to go out as far as the kitchen, then I guess that's what we would do?

Alternatively, by looking at the floor plan - I've noticed we could move one of the internal walls and this would significantly increase the size of the main bedroom. Is this possible in a precast concrete house? The walls ground floor and upstairs don't line up... so I'm kind of assuming we could potentially move an internal wall.

Sorry for the brain dump, I'm just trying to understand what is the smartest option to go with right now...

Thanks so much in advance!
    Smiley

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Allow 20k to be dumped into the existing house.
    Then that leaves 40k for an extension. Plot out 25ish square meters and see if you'd be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

op:
    re pre-cast concrete, built in 1970s with a huuuuge garden.
    is this flat roofed?
    Tell us a bit more about it.

What is the BER rating : Z?:D

You need to give serious consideration as to what this baby is going to cost to heat.

All what you describe is doable at a price but you should really make sure your understand the energy demand profile before you extend.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

@Calahonda52

So, it's a BER G :eek: - but we WILL be doing external insulation, new windows and attic insulation - we have this penciled in on phase 2 - when we have another 15k (I've been quoted on this already)

It's not flat-roofed, it's pitched, but it is a relatively low pitch. I could never see us ever getting an extension in the roof lol.

So... double story extension, doable for 30k? Could we do the type of extension I mentioned below?

@kceire
    What you mention about the 25m2 - is that ground floor only? Or would that be the double story?

Also, would either of you know about moving an internal wall in a pre-cast concrete home?

@smiley012...are we now trending on whatever:D. LOL

impossible to call the internal wall without inspection.

Are the upper floors concrete as well?

what is roof construction?

15k wont go very far for ewi, windows and attic, have u a spec?

If doing both ewi and windows you have a great opportunity to do a really nice energy efficient job, the process is not the same as new windows and then eww

ps extensions not my forte

I've been quoted 9.8k for the EWI (85per sq/m), that's before the grant (3.6k). Someone else quoted me 8k with the grant. It's not a very big house!

New windows - 5k

Attic - 1.5k

Sound about right / wrong?

• Advertisement

Whats the roof construction?

Sorry Calahonda52 - I'm not actually sure how the roof is constructed, I'll have to double check when I'm in there on Thursday again and report back to you!

Smiley012 wrote: »
    Sorry Calahonda52 - I'm not actually sure how the roof is constructed, I'll have to double check when I'm in there on Thursday again and report back to you!

No panic, I used to help, as a summer student, make panels for these houses in 1972 so just wonder what model you are looking at.
    Also tell us about the floor

Oh I missed that question - yes upper floors are also concrete slabs.

I was concerned about this, but then reading on the pros, I understand that means they're exceptionally sound proof.

One of the surveyors described the house as a "bomb shelter" that would still be standing in 1000 years lol

Duplicate post

• Advertisement

Smiley012 wrote: »
    Oh I missed that question - yes upper floors are also concrete slabs.

I was concerned about this, but then reading on the pros, I understand that means they're exceptionally sound proof.

One of the surveyors described the house as a "bomb shelter" that would still be standing in 1000 years lol

No worries, we need to get to the existing construction detail as it will guide the best refurb

@Calahonda (and anyone else who is interested)

So I have a bit more information about the construction:

The property is an end of terrace two storey dwelling of pre-cast mass concrete construction with a timber truss roof incorporating bitumen felt and concrete roof tiles. The property is fitted with double glazed aluminium windows.

The quote that I have for the EWI, windows and attic is including the grants from government - the uValue of EWI is .27, and windows are double glazed PVC, front door, and rear french doors to the garden. 8k for EWI, 500 for attic (very low pitched roof, small attic space) and 5.5k for windows

A little bit more on the extensions - happy to go with flatroof for now, perhaps add in a skylight or two, also decided for upstairs going out to as far as the kitchen is being extended is okay too. I can attach outlines of plans if that helps...

Advertisement