Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what air gun?

• 02-08-2016 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

hi all,i know this has probably been done to death,but would like some opinions on an air rifle for rabbits,as me and 3 others are buying it,budget would be about €500 each,dont want one of those that break down,i have a 22lr,so would a license be easy enough to get? reason we dont want to use the 22lr is the farmer that wants us to shoot the rabbits and rats,has alot of small fields around his house,and hinted he would prefer an air gun,so any advice welcome.as we have no experience with air rifles,thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

I've handled some of the BSA pcps and they are quite nice with the varmint/ tactical stocks.

I assume with three of ye pitching in ye are looking for a high end pcp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

I like Diana RWS air rifles.

The side cocking Model 48, 52, or 54 would be my first choice.

A break barrel would be my second, like the Model 38.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

BrownTrout wrote: »
    I've handled some of the BSA pcps and they are quite nice with the varmint/ tactical stocks.

I assume with three of ye pitching in ye are looking for a high end pcp?

well lad we have about 500 each,but spending less would be fine also,just want something that will last,accurate,and with good killing power,we dont know much about them,hence op.

FISMA. wrote: »
    I like Diana RWS air rifles.

A break barrel would be my second, like the Model 38.

hi lad,would that one your on about, the side cocking,is that spring or air filled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Not meaning to derail, but given you have the 22LR, have you considered CCI quiets?

710fps and 40gr for 45ft.lbs (60J) from your 22LR - air rifle power and report without the expense. I'm using them a while now and they're as accurate at air-ranges as any air rifle I've used. Couple with a moderator and you're as quite as quiet gets.

To answer the OP, Weihrauch HW77 or 97 for my money (but I'm sure ye saw that coming :P ) in .22 or .25, although the latter can be a bit of a pain to get ammo for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

FISMA. wrote:

+1 for the side cocking model.
    I had a Feinwerkbau pneumatic side cocking target air gun for a while and lad was it accurate

How much power can you actually get from a single pump air charge rifle like the Diana's?

I know the FWB's as mentioned above only put out about 9J (~6.5ft.lbs)

extremetaz wrote: »
    Not meaning to derail, but given you have the 22LR, have you considered CCI quiets?

710fps and 40gr for 45ft.lbs (60J) from your 22LR - air rifle power and report without the expense. I'm using them a while now and they're as accurate at air-ranges as any air rifle I've used. Couple with a moderator and you're as quite as quiet gets.

To answer the OP, Weihrauch HW77 or 97 for my money (but I'm sure ye saw that coming :P ) in .22 or .25, although the latter can be a bit of a pain to get ammo for.
    never heard of those cci quiets,must look into that,thanks.....................also the other 2 lads want the air rifle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

A nice source of data for air-rifles, Pyramid Air.

Not sure about the energy, however, if memory serves correctly, the manufacturer claimed muzzle velocities between 1000fps-1100fps for the 0.177 and 900fps for the 0.22.

Never chrono'd them. Perhaps, I'll put one in the car this week. Heading to the range to do a ladder test on my heavy hitter.

Great rifles, but heavy. I think my 700 with scope and bipod is still lighter than the side cocker.

Yup, no surprise there, there's a lot going on in them, and any other air rifle for that matter.

That 1100fps is doable on about 9-11J with a 7gr pellet, which is a pretty common weight for wadcutter target rounds.
    The rifles firing those rounds though would be sending them out at closer to 800fps as they go unstable pretty easily (they're only required to fly straight for 10meters).

I don't know how high you can tune a single pump pneumatic rifle like that, might be that you can get a good bit more power, bit knowing the weight of the sidelever at 6-7J, I couldn't imagine being able to charge it too easily at 20J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I think the OP has been reasonably covered so I ask,
    If one lad is shooting what are the other 3 doing?!!! Whose safe does it stay in? 1/4 share of a firearm is not an arrangement I'd like to be in unless all parties were under the one roof!!!
    So I tend to agree with Taz since you already have the 22lr. I used CCI CB Long and found them very capable, similar velocity to a 12ft/lb air rifle but a lot more energy. Super colibri might also work in your rifle.

If you're not sure about an air rifle first thing I'd do is ask the land owner why he would prefer an air rifle and then would he consider the use of the lower powered 22 rounds. If not I'd leave the air rifle to the guys who really want it.

"Neither a lender or a borrower be"

lefthooker wrote: »
    I think the OP has been reasonably covered so I ask,
    If one lad is shooting what are the other 3 doing?!!! Whose safe does it stay in? 1/4 share of a firearm is not an arrangement I'd like to be in unless all parties were under the one roof!!!
    So I tend to agree with Taz since you already have the 22lr. I used CCI CB Long and found them very capable, similar velocity to a 12ft/lb air rifle but a lot more energy. Super colibri might also work in your rifle.

If you're not sure about an air rifle first thing I'd do is ask the land owner why he would prefer an air rifle and then would he consider the use of the lower powered 22 rounds. If not I'd leave the air rifle to the guys who really want it.

"Neither a lender or a borrower be"
    sorry,i meant to say 2 lads with me,3 altogether.budget of around €1,500,to include everything,the other 2 lads are brothers,14,and 15,too young for a license yet,so they would be just coming with me,( and i would be the only one useing the gun)which they are entitled to do,the license would be in my name,and my safe,when the other lad reaches the age of 16 in 4 months time,he will be buying my share of the gun,and license it himself,both lads work on the farm, they can afford it.im not really an air rifle fan,so what im doing is kind of a favor,( i know and worked for the family for years)their father said no .22s what so ever,no matter what ammo,guess he has his reasons,so my op was just picking brains,as i have no experience of air guns, but i will try out those .22 bullets as suggested on my other lands,thanks.....im a friend indeed,to a friend in need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Thanks for the extra detail. Honestly lad, I wouldn't get involved. The father of the boys wants vermin shot but only using the firearm of his choosing and effectively in 4 months time you're going to sell the rifle to the eldest boy and he's going to store it in his place? Why not let his father license the air rifle and let his lad use it when the time is right. He could be 16 by the time the license for it comes anyway

lefthooker wrote: »
    Thanks for the extra detail. Honestly lad, I wouldn't get involved. The father of the boys wants vermin shot but only using the firearm of his choosing and effectively in 4 months time you're going to sell the rifle to the eldest boy and he's going to store it in his place? Why not let his father license the air rifle and let his lad use it when the time is right. He could be 16 by the time the license for it comes anyway

as i said its a favor,and im confident ill have the license in 2-3 weeks,like my own .22,and i dont want to loose this permission,as i lamp it with my whippet some nights,anyway going to view some air rifles tomorrow in open season,nenagh,thanks to all for your input,much appreciated;),

Advertisement