Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clybaun Hotel

Options
  • 02-08-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

is this far walk to Eyre Square? Is there a bus service that passes? How much would a taxi cost?

Decent hotel?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Would be a 35-45 minute walk. Plenty of busses nearby and would be no more than 15 Euro in a taxi.
    Prob nicer hotels in Galway. Any particular reason for staying in Clybaun?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

vicwatson wrote: »
    is this far walk to Eyre Square? Is there a bus service that passes? How much would a taxi cost?

Decent hotel?

TIA

Hi,

I can answer two parts of the question, having stayed there a few years back.

o It's a very long walk to Eyre Square. Three or four miles. Out near Salthill and close enough to the seaside.

o Good hotel. Nice spacious rooms. 7/10

I can fathom only a guess about the taxi fare. Maybe €10 or €12????

Bus service..... you'd need a Galway local to answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

CityDirect busses 411 and 412 go past the hotel - citydirect.ie Taxi is 10 to 12 Euro (lived opposite until recently). Hotel is fine, had an overhaul recently and you have the use of the pool/gym. Not very central by any stretch of the imagination. Nice pub less than 5 minutes down the road - Tom Sheridan's. It's fine, but wouldn't be my first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

CityDirect busses 411 and 412 go past the hotel - citydirect.ie Taxi is 10 to 12 Euro (lived opposite until recently). Hotel is fine, had an overhaul recently and you have the use of the pool/gym. Not very central by any stretch of the imagination. Nice pub less than 5 minutes down the road - Tom Sheridan's. It's fine, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Cheers
    Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Hi,

I can answer two parts of the question, having stayed there a few years back.

o It's a very long walk to Eyre Square. Three or four miles. Out near Salthill and close enough to the seaside.

o Good hotel. Nice spacious rooms. 7/10

I can fathom only a guess about the taxi fare. Maybe €10 or €12????

Bus service..... you'd need a Galway local to answer that.

Cheers
    Would be a 35-45 minute walk. Plenty of busses nearby and would be no more than 15 Euro in a taxi.
    Prob nicer hotels in Galway. Any particular reason for staying in Clybaun?
    Price, Galway is worse than Dublin for mental prices :D

If anyone can recommend a nice priced central-ish hotel Id be happy to listen ! TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Cheers

Cheers

Price, Galway is worse than Dublin for mental prices :D

If anyone can recommend a nice priced central-ish hotel Id be happy to listen ! TIA

Travelodge Galway was quoting low rates last week.... when compared to the other hotels.

Sounds decent enough. Never stayed. 20 minute walk to Eyre Square

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is also a bunch of B&Bs close to the city, some will post price on Gmaps

https://www.google.ie/maps/search/galway+B%26Bs/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Travelodge Galway was quoting low rates last week.... when compared to the other hotels.

There's a reason for that. Travelodge the world over is small rooms, bland soul-less bars which no one goes to unless they're absolutely trapped in the place.

Clybaun is far nicer than the travelodge. People do choose to holiday there. It's a good distance from Salthill, though.

Connaught or Flanneys nicer than either IMHO.

All have buses plenty of buses. Taxis - would need to look that up. I'd expect Clybaun to be more than 15 though.

Thanks for all the advice/help. Yeh Travelodge wouldn't do it for me personally, they were quoting 114 per night, Clybaun about 110, will check out those other two mentioned.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

There's a reason for that. Travelodge the world over is small rooms, bland soul-less bars which no one goes to unless they're absolutely trapped in the place.

Oh god yes, don't stay in a travelodge. Pretty sure I got PTSD from staying in one once. Plus it's not a pleasant stroll into town from there, it's in a semi-industrial area and the walk is a really busy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Never stayed in it but it's smack in the center so might be worth checking prices in the Harbour Hotel.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

pro cab hackney is €12 from clybaun to eyre square

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Thanks for all the advice/help. Yeh Travelodge wouldn't do it for me personally, they were quoting 114 per night, Clybaun about 110, will check out those other two mentioned.

Theres a really nice B&B called The Wave in Salthill I stayed in, only 90 euro on booking.com
    But if its hotels you prefer the Ardilaun would be my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

As mentioned above, Tom Sheridans is about 2/3 minutes walk away and a good spot for a beer or a bit of food.

Sound clientele as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

The Clybaun has been completely refurbished over the last while and its now like a new hotel.

I've eaten in the bar a lot recently and its far better than the muck served in the sea-front hotels in Salthill, who are trading on their location and really need to up their game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Surprised nobody has recommenced BurrenMount

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kaiser84

Decent hotel?

TIA

I stayed there in April for our first wedding anniversary. Nicest, most helpful and polite staff I've ever encountered. We drove over from Louth, so was a great short spin to Salthill. We went down all 3 mornings for a walk.

We had a night out in Eyre Square. Bus leaves right outside the hotel roughly every hour. It's something like €2.50 on the bus. It doesn't take long to get in.

We got a taxi back to the hotel that night as buses stop about 12am (I think), got a card at reception for a taxi firm and the taxi back was €10.

The food in the hotel was outstanding. Service was excellent, bar is a great spot to relax for a few drinks and there is entertainment in the bar.

I couldn't recommend the hotel enough. Dora who is the manager is great. We'll definitely be back there in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kaiser84

buzz11 wrote: »
    The Clybaun has been completely refurbished over the last while and its now like a new hotel.

I've eaten in the bar a lot recently and its far better than the muck served in the sea-front hotels in Salthill, who are trading on their location and really need to up their game.

Yep, should have added the hotel is refurbished. It's great.

Food is really good. We ate in two other places in Salthill, and as you said, it was muck and we actually left most of it behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The Clybaun is in a housing estate about 4 miles from eyre square and 2 miles from the shops and bars of salthill. However it has a modern gym with a pool and outdoor hot tub. Walking distance to sheridans bar and Cspones pizza. Also walking distance to big Aldi/dunnes and local shops. I personally would only stay there if I had a car with me, but public transport is frequent and taxis available as described above.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has recommenced BurrenMount
    It's because it's closed many years and the owners do not want any business. As you know.

When you suggest incorrect information in a thread then someone new or from google may get things wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The Clybaun is in a housing estate about 4 miles from eyre square and 2 miles from the shops and bars of salthill.

Not really. I would say it is situated on the "Western Distributor Road" - which is one of Galway City's ugliest roads IMHO when compared with other similar "residential" roads in the City. (Siobhan McKenna, Thomas Hynes Rd come to mind). It is interesting that the road has not been renamed since it was built.
    Clybaun Hotel is surrounded by Housing estates alright.

Plonked in the middle of suburbia with stunning views of decaying foliage on a roundabout

snubbleste wrote: »
    Plonked in the middle of suburbia with stunning views of decaying foliage on a roundabout

Your observations/contributions in this thread are sublime if you dont mind me saying

Your observations/contributions in this thread are sublime if you dont mind me saying
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Not really. I would say it is situated on the "Western Distributor Road" - which is one of Galway City's ugliest roads IMHO when compared with other similar "residential" roads in the City. (Siobhan McKenna, Thomas Hynes Rd come to mind). It is interesting that the road has not been renamed since it was built.
    Clybaun Hotel is surrounded by Housing estates alright.

Okay then - it's near several housing estates and situated land adjacent to the Western Distributor Road/clybaun road junction. I stand corrected ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Okay then - it's near several housing estates and situated land adjacent to the Western Distributor Road/clybaun road junction. I stand corrected ;)
    It's a 50/50 call. The Rockbarton Hotel in Salthill is what I would call a Hotel in the middle of a housing estate. The Western Distributor Road is a busy road - that might put off some people staying at such a venue.

Advertisement