Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of dye licence

Options
  • 02-08-2016 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi I'm just enquiring if anyone knows the outcome of this,
    My friend was bringing his car to get fixed for his nct whilst driving with no insurance and licence out of date, a gardai had pulled him in about this, and told him he had 10 days to produce both, he had sent off for a renewal of his license on that day, so he can get insurance, will he be ok once he produces both of these when the 10 days are up, because his vehicle wasn't officially insured on this day, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

nealisalan wrote: »
    My friend was bringing his car to get fixed for his nct whilst driving with no insurance and licence out of date, a gardai had pulled him in about this, and told him he had 10 days to produce both, he had sent off for a renewal of his license on that day, so he can get insurance, will he be ok once he produces both of these when the 10 days are up, because his vehicle wasn't officially insured on this day, thanks

An insurer will only give cover on the day ie they will not back date it.

Your friend can get insurance but the date the policy starts will be different from the date he was stopped so I'd imagine the guards will have an issue with this.

I will spare you my thoughts on someone driving on a public road without a licence or insurance.

Suffice to say they are not complimentary.

I'd say this is going to be a very harsh lesson for your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

"My friend" you're goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nealisalan

Thanks ya it is my friend he's not very good with literature so I said I'd do this for him, and ya I thought that myself but look at least he knows now where he stands so he is better off not getting insured because it would be a waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nealisalan

aujopimur wrote: »
    "My friend" you're goosed.

Your such a nice person fair play to you for being a boards member that gives brilliant advice

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

..... at least he knows now where he stands so he is better off not getting insured because it would be a waste of money

So he's going to continue to drive with no insurance because he's going to get summonsed anyway and motor insurance is a waste of money?

If he shows up in court with no cert at all then the judge will assume that he doesn't give a sh1t about insurance (which from your statement above appears to be the case) and will hammer him. If he has a cert starting a day or so after he was stopped, he may get a lesser fine but he will still be convicted and fined, you don't get the probation act for driving with no insurance.

What exactly do you mean by 'he had sent off for a renewal of his license on that day'. Getting a licence renewed involves presenting yourself at an NDLS centre to do the paperwork and get your photo taken for the new licence, they then give you a receipt to show that you have applied for a renewal - you don't send it off in the post as your statement implied your 'friend' did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Do you know anyone working high up in an insurance company? If so get them to backdate the insurance.

Or if you know a Garda you could pull a few strings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    FrStone wrote: »
    Do you know anyone working high up in an insurance company? If so get them to backdate the insurance.

Or if you know a Garda you could pull a few strings too.

Advertisement