Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Shotgun

• 02-08-2016 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I've been using a 22 for the past year or so but I'm planning to buy a shotgun in the next day or two. Anyone have any suggestions on where is a good place to start on the best gun to buy for a beginner.

I was thinking about getting a semi-auto would there be a big difference in cleaning and handling a semi-auto compared to say a double barrel for instance. What brands do people find more reliable

Ill be using it mostly for birds and rabbits and my budget will be around 300-400

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I don't think you'll find anything reliable in semi auto for your budget unless your very lucky. I would say budget €550-€1000. You might pick up a sxs or o/u along the lines of Baikal for that. Up our way Ian Jameson in Mount Nugent or Malcolm Graham in Monaghan is your best bet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

shane7 wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions on where is a good place to start on the best gun to buy for a beginner.
    There is no best gun as such because everyone has a different preference/taste when it comes to guns. This leaves no definitive answer unfortunately, but i'm sure lads will be along shortly to give you their opinion on what make/model to go for and why.

For myself it's a hard choice. You definitely want a 12 gauge, imo. That is number one. After that it's a case of narrowing down what features you like, what you don't, what budget you have, then and this is the most important factor, what fits you.

Every gun, even those from the same manufacturer, will have various/different designs that will make some guns fit you well and others not so much. A good fitting gun is vital. It it doesn't you can find you have trouble shooting it, hitting with it, and very soon get pissed off with it.

Your budget will dictate what you should be looking at. Go for as much as you can scrap together. Don't rush into anything either. IOW if you see the gun you want for say €500 and you only have €400 then assuming it fits and you're happy with it, pay a deposit, apply for the license, then save up the extra €100 you need while waiting as the license can take up to 3 months (as you probably know from the rifle application). Even if the license comes through before you have the cash don't panic. Keep saving and get the gun that suits you.
    I was thinking about getting a semi-auto would there be a big difference in cleaning and handling a semi-auto compared to say a double barrel for instance.
    A semi auto is fairly different to an Over/Under (O/U). The O/U has three main parts. The fore end, the barrels, and the action/butstock.

A semi auto is essentially the same in that it has a fore end, barrel, and action/buttstock. However it's internal mechanism is a little more complicated and there are other smaller parts that attach to/between the fore end and barrel, the feeding mechanism, etc.

It's not that hard to learn and frankly it'll take an hour of stripping and reassembling until you have it down.

Both types of gun have their own benefits and drawbacks.

O/U. Two barrels, Mulitchoke with choice of choke in each barrel, viewed more favorably because when it's broken open it is seen to be clear (or not), selector switch for barrels so you can fire whichever barrel you want first (say you have a tighter choke or heavier round in one of the barrels). The drawback being it has only two shots. Cleaning is easy enough as it breaks down into its parts in a minute.

Semi auto. One barrel so only one choice of choke however this can be overcome with a different round selection. Takes three shots (or more if you have a restricted license) so you have that extra one. Little less recoil due to it's operation. They are looked down on clay ranges (maybe not an issue for you), as they are not as easily seen as cleared due to the mechanism/action. Cleaning is easy enough but takes a little more time than an O/U to get into all the moving parts.
    What brands do people find more reliable
    The more you spend the better the quality. However there is no limit as guns can and do exceed thousands.

Personally i love Beretta. The range of guns fit me perfectly. The quality, performance, reliability is second to none. However they can and generally do have a price tag to match. Your entry level shotgun starts around €1,100. They can go up to €6500, and then into the tens of thousands, but that is not relevant to this chat.

Other brands that would be well known and well respected for reliability, perofrmance (in no particular order) etc would include:
    • Browning
    • Miroku
    • Perazzi
    • Winchester
    • Benelli
    • Remington
    • Bettinsoli

There are far more makes, too many to list.

When it comes to a decent gun that does not carry a huge price tag you have the following:
    • Baikal
    • Lanber
    • ATA
    • Mossberg
    • Yildiz
    • Kral
    • Silma
    Most of these (some may be higher) can be gotten for €750 or less. New. Second hand you can look at €500 or less.

Quality would not be up to the higher priced/end guns, but that is to be expected. It does not mean the guns are crap or should not be considered. They will work, and frankly i've used/shot some including the Silma, Baikal and ATA and find them quite a nice gun.

I'd suggest you find a few days here and there and hit a few guns shops. Take someone with you, so you don't get rose coloured glassed and buy the first thing you like/see, but also to help you out. This generally means someone that knows a bit (no offence) more than you.

Another option is clay ranges. Most will welcome visitors and be happy to show you around and give you the basics.

You'll get the "naysayers" that will say such and such a gun is crap and to stay away. Well that is fine if you have thousand(s), and i'm not saying they are completely wrong, but again they should be cognisant of your limitations and advise on the best gun for your needs/budget and not what you would buy if money were not object. I mean you don't need to see a DT11 Trap gun for shooting bunnies.

Hope this ramble helps you.

Have you anything in mind, any preferences or something you'd like to see? Also where abouts in the country are you? County will do. might know somewhere you can go for a look.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I've been using a 22 for the past year or so but I'm planning to buy a shotgun in the next day or two. Anyone have any suggestions on where is a good place to start on the best gun to buy for a beginner.

I was thinking about getting a semi-auto would there be a big difference in cleaning and handling a semi-auto compared to say a double barrel for instance. What brands do people find more reliable

Ill be using it mostly for birds and rabbits and my budget will be around 300-400

Thanks

I picked up a S/H Turkish semi, was pointed in the direction by someone from the forums here. Price was at the lower end of your budget. I did it all wrong in that I bought the gun before I had fired it (or any semi before) but I trusted the recommendation and at the price, I was happy to take the risk.

I wanted a gun that I could do some rough shooting, and do some clays with. A gun to have fun with, not a heavy barrel clay gun.

You've probably gotten a few PMs already (I know I did), see what they say and google the guns to get some reviews. Try a few and see what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

Cass wrote: »
    There is no best gun as such because everyone has a different preference/taste when it comes to guns. This leaves no definitive answer unfortunately, but i'm sure lads will be along shortly to give you their opinion on what make/model to go for and why.

For myself it's a hard choice. You definitely want a 12 gauge, imo. That is number one. After that it's a case of narrowing down what features you like, what you don't, what budget you have, then and this is the most important factor, what fits you.

Every gun, even those from the same manufacturer, will have various/different designs that will make some guns fit you well and others not so much. A good fitting gun is vital. It it doesn't you can find you have trouble shooting it, hitting with it, and very soon get pissed off with it.

Your budget will dictate what you should be looking at. Go for as much as you can scrap together. Don't rush into anything either. IOW if you see the gun you want for say €500 and you only have €400 then assuming it fits and you're happy with it, pay a deposit, apply for the license, then save up the extra €100 you need while waiting as the license can take up to 3 months (as you probably know from the rifle application). Even if the license comes through before you have the cash don't panic. Keep saving and get the gun that suits you.

A semi auto is fairly different to an Over/Under (O/U). The O/U has three main parts. The fore end, the barrels, and the action/butstock.

A semi auto is essentially the same in that it has a fore end, barrel, and action/buttstock. However it's internal mechanism is a little more complicated and there are other smaller parts that attach to/between the fore end and barrel, the feeding mechanism, etc.

It's not that hard to learn and frankly it'll take an hour of stripping and reassembling until you have it down.

Both types of gun have their own benefits and drawbacks.

O/U. Two barrels, Mulitchoke with choice of choke in each barrel, viewed more favorably because when it's broken open it is seen to be clear (or not), selector switch for barrels so you can fire whichever barrel you want first (say you have a tighter choke or heavier round in one of the barrels). The drawback being it has only two shots. Cleaning is easy enough as it breaks down into its parts in a minute.

Semi auto. One barrel so only one choice of choke however this can be overcome with a different round selection. Takes three shots (or more if you have a restricted license) so you have that extra one. Little less recoil due to it's operation. They are looked down on clay ranges (maybe not an issue for you), as they are not as easily seen as cleared due to the mechanism/action. Cleaning is easy enough but takes a little more time than an O/U to get into all the moving parts.

The more you spend the better the quality. However there is no limit as guns can and do exceed thousands.

Personally i love Beretta. The range of guns fit me perfectly. The quality, performance, reliability is second to none. However they can and generally do have a price tag to match. Your entry level shotgun starts around €1,100. They can go up to €6500, and then into the tens of thousands, but that is not relevant to this chat.

Other brands that would be well known and well respected for reliability, perofrmance (in no particular order) etc would include:
    • Browning
    • Miroku
    • Perazzi
    • Winchester
    • Benelli
    • Remington
    • Bettinsoli

There are far more makes, too many to list.

When it comes to a decent gun that does not carry a huge price tag you have the following:
    • Baikal
    • Lanber
    • ATA
    • Mossberg
    • Yildiz
    • Kral
    • Silma
    Most of these (some may be higher) can be gotten for €750 or less. New. Second hand you can look at €500 or less.

Quality would not be up to the higher priced/end guns, but that is to be expected. It does not mean the guns are crap or should not be considered. They will work, and frankly i've used/shot some including the Silma, Baikal and ATA and find them quite a nice gun.

I'd suggest you find a few days here and there and hit a few guns shops. Take someone with you, so you don't get rose coloured glassed and buy the first thing you like/see, but also to help you out. This generally means someone that knows a bit (no offence) more than you.

Another option is clay ranges. Most will welcome visitors and be happy to show you around and give you the basics.

You'll get the "naysayers" that will say such and such a gun is crap and to stay away. Well that is fine if you have thousand(s), and i'm not saying they are completely wrong, but again they should be cognisant of your limitations and advise on the best gun for your needs/budget and not what you would buy if money were not object. I mean you don't need to see a DT11 Trap gun for shooting bunnies.

Hope this ramble helps you.

Have you anything in mind, any preferences or something you'd like to see? Also where abouts in the country are you? County will do. might know somewhere you can go for a look.

Thank you for the detailed response there is a lot of useful information in there to help me out with my search so thanks for that. I am based in Gorey Wexford. A few friends of mine bought shotguns in Camolin so I will try there in a few days but I wanted to have a look around online before I go just to broaden the range of what I can buy

A friend of mine rang to say a friend of his is selling a Lambur (not sure the exact model)and he will let me have it cheap as it was an impulse buy that is just gathering dust in his gun safe. I was also having a browse through sportsden and there is quite a lot on their website around the €400 mark. So I am going through the models and google reviews to see if there is a good gun to be picked up there. I was looking at the Remington Premier Semi Auto 12g which they are selling for €400 and the Remington 1100 Semi Auto 12g for €350. There is actually quite a few options on sports den for low budget shot guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

shane7 wrote:
    A friend of mine rang to say a friend of his is selling a Lambur (not sure the exact model)and he will let me have it cheap as it was an impulse buy that is just gathering dust in his gun safe. I was also having a browse through sportsden and there is quite a lot on their website around the €400 mark. So I am going through the models and google reviews to see if there is a good gun to be picked up there. I was looking at the Remington Premier Semi Auto 12g which they are selling for €400 and the Remington 1100 Semi Auto 12g for €350. There is actually quite a few options on sports den for low budget shot guns.

Watch out for very cheap second hand guns. Make sure the barrels aren't too badly rusted and check for pitting on the inside.

With semis, check for wear and rust in the action.

With double barrels, check the hinge for wear and assemble the gun and make the sure the barrels fit tight to the action. Ensure there is no wobble between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I would recommend a break action shotgun over a semi as your first gun, some people have an issue with semi automatic shotguns especially in a social shooting , after you get used to a break action you can apply for a semi automatic,
    I have both, and prefer shooting the semi when on my own in a hide , or rough shooting or wild fowling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Pm'd you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Shane7, I would suggest, as you appear to have done, to shop by price, availability, and feel/fit.
    I was looking at the Remington Premier Semi Auto 12g which they are selling for €400 and the Remington 1100 Semi Auto 12g for €350.

I have no idea what the Premier is like, however, the 1100 is tried and true. Between the two, I would take the 1100.

Keep in mind that many parts, like the stock, are interchangeable between the 1100, 870, and 1187. It's always nice to have a well supported firearm.

I would take an o/u over a sxs. However, there would not be much between them.

Don't overlook Baikal's shotguns. I bet the majority of people on the board have used them. Not pretty, or ugly for that matter, but sure can take a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

Thanks for the tips everybody its much appreciated. Anyway I got sorted today I called into John Lambert in Camolin Wexford and he looked after me. I bought myself a Armsan Semi auto Shotgun for €500. Its only a couple of months old and I really like the look and feel of it and its in pristine condition so I'm really happy with it.

Just have to wait for the licence to come through now and I'm all set

Advertisement