Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Red Button/Text on Sky

• 02-08-2016 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

This gone for anyone else? Tried 2 controls and rebooted the SkyHD box. LED lights up on controls and box but nothing happens.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

eman66 wrote: »
    This gone for anyone else? Tried 2 controls and rebooted the SkyHD box. LED lights up on controls and box but nothing happens.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Entertainment/Changes-to-BBC-channels-in-the-ROI/td-p/2503362

It's hopefully only for the duration of the Olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrAbbadon

yep I have same issue here the worst time it go down with the Olympics starting on Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

MrAbbadon wrote: »
    yep I have same issue here the worst time it go down with the Olympics starting on Friday

You can tune the BBC Olympics channels in manually on your Sky box and view them via 'other channels'. Scroll down through this for full tuning details (SD & HD). http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's a lot worse than that, I've just had a long chat with Sky, and as of Sunday, the BBC have withdrawn the Red button facility from SKY ROI viewers, and in the process, and this is the significant bit, BBC HAVE BROKEN SERIES LINK FOR ROI.

To say that I am less than impressed would be putting it mildly, right now, I'm seriously considering this as a deal breaker with Sky, so now the question is what alternatives are available to get most of the channels that are on Sky from alternative sources, and I'm not talking about using cheat cards or the like, but paying a premium to Sky for an increasingly crippled service is no longer acceptable, given the premium that they are charging. A lot of the Sky service is now FTA, unless you have sports and the like, so it's a case of deciding if it's worth paying the premium for a reduced quality of service on a decreasing number of channels that are not available elsewhere.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It might be back after the Olympics. Wait and see. The IOC are crazily bizzare about their rights. You don't buy the Olympics, you can't show a second of it. Even the normally "news access" rules (where you can show a few seconds of footage with a "pictures courtesy" credit) aren't allowed just still photographs.

And try watching CNBC over the next fortnight. You'll lose track of the times they have to cut the picture when they show Olympics footage that CNBC Europe can't show. They drop NBC Nightly News for the duration as a precaution.

None of this helps, I know, but it shows you the rules the BBC have to operate under.

And if you really want those red button streams - add them to Add Channels. You can read everything on BBC Text on BBC.co.uk

As for Series Link. It's not broken. Just cleared, a consequence of the fact that the BBC One and BBC Two channels now on the Irish EPG are, as far as the box is concerned, different channels to the ones that were there last week. You'll need to re-set up your series links. Will take 5 minutes. I know that doesn't help if you missed an episode of a show you were following in the interim.

• Advertisement

That fills in the gaps, even the Sky reps haven't been told the full story based on that (much clearer) information, Sky management haven't told their people that the channels were moved and that's what broke series link. Talk about left hand and right hand!

As you say, the missing programs are a pain, especially when they're part of a series, (Like Holby City) and follow on from week to week.
    Looks like I may have to sort out a short term Virtual provider in the UK for a couple of weeks so that Player will work to catch up on the one we missed. Pain, but nothing more than I had to do a while back from Turkey to be able to collect E-mail.

At least I now have an explanation that makes sense, and holds together, which the earlier chat with Sky didn't do, as it was incomplete.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

icdg wrote: »
    It might be back after the Olympics. Wait and see. The IOC are crazily bizzare about their rights. You don't buy the Olympics, you can't show a second of it. Even the normally "news access" rules (where you can show a few seconds of footage with a "pictures courtesy" credit) aren't allowed just still photographs.

And try watching CNBC over the next fortnight. You'll lose track of the times they have to cut the picture when they show Olympics footage that CNBC Europe can't show. They drop NBC Nightly News for the duration as a precaution.

None of this helps, I know, but it shows you the rules the BBC have to operate under.

And if you really want those red button streams - add them to Add Channels. You can read everything on BBC Text on BBC.co.uk

As for Series Link. It's not broken. Just cleared, a consequence of the fact that the BBC One and BBC Two channels now on the Irish EPG are, as far as the box is concerned, different channels to the ones that were there last week. You'll need to re-set up your series links. Will take 5 minutes. I know that doesn't help if you missed an episode of a show you were following in the interim.
    I have a Manhattan Freesat reciever, and the BBC red button is working normally.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No problem with Freesat - the BBC and ITV maintain the fiction that it's not available here, and the rights holders are seemingly happy with that.

FWIW, which on recent showing is probably not much, the Sky reps are posting on the Sky Ireland forum that the Red Button will NOT be returning after the Olympics. I think it's going to be a case of watch this space very carefully, if they move transponders again, which I suspect will happen at some stage to free them up, that will break series link again.

The case for ditching Sky is becoming increasingly easy to justify, if a viewer is not into sport, and movies, there's so few channels that are Sky exclusives, their cost is becoming increasingly unsustainable.

It's just so frustrating that there are so many buzz words to confuse things, I suspect that if truth be known, there are a number of (Yeah I know, Non discussable here ) options that would make the decision a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement