Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed removal

Options
  • 02-08-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭

Recently moved into a new house with a manageable back garden (bout 15m x 6m). I removed the weeds by hand and planted seeds. Now it's a decent amount of grass, but still a few weeds pop up. I've been spending about a hour a week for the past 2 months removing weeds by hand. Presumed I'd get to the bottom of it eventually, but it doesn't seem to be letting up. I'm getting about 75% of them extracted with the roots, others break so obvious will grow back.

Is there any knack to extract the softer (leafier) weeds? They seem to break in my hand too easy and always leave roots. These ones are no problem extracting, these ones always break in my hand.

Any tips/ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mowing should defeat most of them. The plaintain and the chickweed will probably persist but once your grass is 6 months old you can treat with a weed and feed product which will remove the broad leaf weeds but leave the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Cut your grass long, 2.5-3 inches and cut it regularly, this will allow the grass to out compete the weeds and also shade out the weed seeds.

Advertisement