Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

forgot earth at switch

Options
  • 02-08-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Alright folks

Im looking for some advice from my fellow electricians.
    Iv been off the tools for the past 10 years and now am currently rewiring a house. I have completed the first fix andhave a registered contractor contractor coming to test and certify the job on completion. My problem is i never pulled an earth to my light switches.( Yes Yes i know id be laughing if i were you too) rooky error as im used to using pvc pvc & earth rather than pvc pvc

The house is all plastered now and to run in an earth now would be a huge job.
    Is it a regulation to have earth at switches?
    What would you guys do if you found yourself in this situation.
    I want to correct this as discreetly as possible because i dont want the builder to think im a cowboy, any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Alright folks

Im looking for some advice from my fellow electricians.
    Iv been off the tools for the past 10 years and now am currently rewiring a house. I have completed the first fix andhave a registered contractor contractor coming to test and certify the job on completion. My problem is i never pulled an earth to my light switches.( Yes Yes i know id be laughing if i were you too) rooky error as im used to using pvc pvc & earth rather than pvc pvc

The house is all plastered now and to run in an earth now would be a huge job.
    Is it a regulation to have earth at switches?
    What would you guys do if you found yourself in this situation.
    I want to correct this as discreetly as possible because i dont want the builder to think im a cowboy, any advice would be appreciated

It's not permitted for an electrical contractor to certify someone else's work. In fact it's a criminal offence.if you haven't done this basic regulation then I wonder what else you have missed. Put your hand up now and pull out and get the builder to get in a proper contractor and not the other guy who's willing to put his reputation on the line by certifying another's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 plugintheworld

meercat wrote: »
    It's not permitted for an electrical contractor to certify someone else's work. In fact it's a criminal offence.

Hes not certifying somebody elses work im doing the job for him and hes paying me a wage

Hes not certifying somebody elses work im doing the job for him and hes paying me a wage

Well speak to him then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'd be curious to hear the answer to this too. Some work was just done in my parents' house by a registered contractor and I went round changing the switch positions after (making which switch do what more intuitive) and there were no earths at all. Regular PVC panels. I presume that's normal? Only the OP made me question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 plugintheworld

meercat wrote: »
    Well speak to him then.

I just stated i wanted to be discrete about it, so speaking to him is the last option.

But Thanks Very Much For Your Help, I Would Have Never Thought Of That

• Advertisement

I just stated i wanted to be discrete about it, so speaking to him is the last option.

But Thanks Very Much For Your Help, I Would Have Never Thought Of That

You said you didn't want the builder to know not your boss. There have been lots of new regulations in the last 10 years so I would speak to your boss to ensure that this is not the only one you have missed.if you're out of your depth then the sooner you seek help the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

I've seen lads make this mistake before. Lads that were used to wiring in brown brown and then changed to singles. Best sparks in the world can make mistakes. Unfortunately there's not much anybody can say to you. You need an earth at the switch. Even if it is a separate single earth it should take the same route as the live conductor. Don't think that's a reg but it is good practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I have completed the first fix andhave a registered contractor contractor coming to test and certify the job on completion.
    That is unlawful and illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

plugintheworld, you should get the REC to employ you.

If you've left out earth cables then you'll need to try to use what you have as draw cables to get ones in

going to close this thread now as its escalated to that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement