Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another bike advice thread - Ladies road bike

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I wouldn't restrict yourself to a women's bike unless you have fit issues. I train and race on men's bikes and you seem to get more for your money (digital window shopping has shown me this!) than women-specific bikes.

Aim for the bike that fits you best with the best gear on it (groupset, wheelsets etc.), that's what I do anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Same here with regards to gender specific bikes. I'm 5ft4 and my road bikes are not women's specific. My mountain bikes are, but frames are the same as men's just different components (the women's options were black, didn't like the colour options for men's versions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I bought the first one on your list, the Scott contessa 15, as my first road bike 3 years ago and have never regretted the decision.
    It's light and fast, has a compact set up (great for hills), 105 components and a relaxed geometry for your leisure/ sportive cycling.
    I liked it so much I bought another a year later to keep at my parent's house in Yorkshire.
    I swapped the saddle for one with a cut out and swapped the tyres for conti 4000s.
    Hope this helps, it's a tough decision, but you're going to love having a road bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

nee wrote: »
    I wouldn't restrict yourself to a women's bike unless you have fit issues. I train and race on men's bikes and you seem to get more for your money (digital window shopping has shown me this!) than women-specific bikes.

Aim for the bike that fits you best with the best gear on it (groupset, wheelsets etc.), that's what I do anyway.

That's what one shop said to me. I'm 5' 7 and apparently evenly proportioned or so I was told. The men's equivalent seemed slightly cheaper. I was advised to spend the difference on tyres.

Would both brands be similar quality?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

tara83 wrote: »
    That's what one shop said to me. I'm 5' 7 and apparently evenly proportioned or so I was told. The men's equivalent seemed slightly cheaper. I was advised to spend the difference on tyres.

Would both brands be similar quality?

Yep, they're right, better tyres makes sense.

Make space in the budget for a saddle, there the women specific thing is important. Although this differs from person to person. I have a friend who rides a carbon saddle with absolutely no padding or cut out, where as I use an Adamo (noseless saddle). Which one to get is unfortunately a trial and error process, you could be fine on the one they supply with the bike.

Cannondales are sexier IMO ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Ladies get a raw deal on value for women specific road bikes. I brought my sister in law bike shopping two years ago and the salesperson (herself a really strong experienced rider) showed use some spezialized sora equipped bike for 1300.

Whatever you buy, get something decent. Your cycling enough to know you like it. Get something with 105, decent wheels and get good tyres from the get go.

The most important thing though is fit. If a shop won't spend time fitting you on bike walk to the next one.

I've brought 4 different friends/family bike shopping in last 2 years, and the deal maker
    was a shop prepared to spend time on fitting( and the set up and know how). It a lbs biggest asset over Internet shopping.

Put up your approximate location and people can recommend good shops.

Then find a good club and get your race licence for January ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

I'm based Dublin/Meath. The btw scheme at work is slightly restricted on shops as it's direct but for a good one I'm sure I can get it sorted.

Advertisement