Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Social Housing help

Options
  • 02-08-2016 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey so i've been living in this house for 10 years (In limerick)now maybe more, I've been on social welfare for I can't find a job i've been on social welfare for a while. So i've been sent this application form for free housing etc. and theres locations like south hill, etc. these horrible estates which could have horrible houses (since this is free duhh) So with these things in mind I've my rent payed and I've been recieving Less money for social welfare in accordance to pay with my rent. I'm obviously comfortable with living in this house however I heard if you decline you get moved anyway or you stop getting social welfare and you have to pay for rent again? These are probably myths but this is sounding pretty bad can someone please clarify what this all means and whats can happen should I choose to decline.
    Thanks alot for your time I really need to know in regard to this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Are you receiving rent allowance?

When you say "free housing" do you mean council housing for which you would be required to pay a differential rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

1 out of 10 goto the section of the dole office that has the free buggies and holidays.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

moved from politics cafe.

New charter applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 StephenCepas

okay sorry obviously i'm not a forum person but I know this is a forum with people of my locality etc.

Yes i'm on about social housing / council housing where they offer free houses
    This is due realllly soon and I need to know everything on it before applying / declining

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This is due realllly soon and I need to know everything on it before applying / declining

You don't get a fee house ,

There's a 9+ year wait to be housed by your local authority

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

okay sorry obviously i'm not a forum person but I know this is a forum with people of my locality etc.

Yes i'm on about social housing / council housing where they offer free houses

Are you on the council list?

If you are have you been offered a house by them and refused?

And you do know you will still have to pay rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

You can turn down one house offer but if you also refuse the second one then you lose your rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nomis21 wrote: »
    You can turn down one house offer but if you also refuse the second one then you lose your rent allowance.

You can turn down 3 in a 12 month period

Advertisement