Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malta

Options
  • 02-08-2016 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Anyone know anyone working and living in Malta?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I lived there on and off for six months, what do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Molly999

Hi, I'd like to know if you need to get a job before going to live there and the easiest way to get a job (recruiters etc?). Also, how easy is it to get accommodation. Also, visit of living? Would it be possible to save money while there. Ps I'm an accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Molly999

That should say cost of living not visit of living! Damn auto correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BlueEyes7

Myself and my mate are moving out there Molly the 15th Sep. We have accom for a month and hope to get work asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

What language do they speak out there Italian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Probably help if you knew that language wouldn't think it's high on people's bilingual options.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

88% speak English. Considering moving over there myself. Massive service industry according to my research. Anybody have experience of living there?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

People use both English and Maltese every day.

However in the likes of supermarkets for food a lot of the produced is packaged in Maltese so you have to figure out what it is.

Restaurants etc do English/Maltese menus or just English menus.

Cost of living is low, but so too are wages compared to Ireland.
    Tax is less, but there is a special tax rate applied to expats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

We have been looking into moving to Malta for a while now. It seems to be getting more and more expensive with no change in wages as far as I can tell. Rents have gone up a lot in the past few years.
    We have been dithering for so long about it I'm not sure if this stage we have waited so long that we are priced out of it. We have children to take into account too.
    We are in IT but looking at wages there they are quite a lot lower than here, with rents for a three bed pretty much the same are here in commuter town Galway, I am feeling like isn't viable any more. Really gutted about it tbh, we have been quite a few times on holiday and absolutely adore it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

did any of ye make the move to malta?

No, still looking for more info though

Any areas to recommend to live or to avoid living in?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

Stheno wrote: »
    Tax is less, but there is a special tax rate applied to expats.

Considering this location as well (well here or Barcelona). I work in IT so there appear to be many jobs out there I could get into.

I don't mind lowering the wage as I invariably won't have to keep going abroad (as I currently do) to get my Vitamin D/outdoor water-sports fix. So it will likely balance out.

A question on the tax rate though. I've read that it's 25% income tax, which doesn't seem that low compared to Ireland.

What's the special rate for expats?

Also are the winters really bad? Heard that the main complaint is that winter is bad because of humidity, but it surely can't be worse than Ireland in winter :D

Advertisement