Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beruit!!!

Options
  • 02-08-2016 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Am currently looking at a job spec for Beruit. Would I be crazy to even consider it??!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Depends- what is it, and what benefits does it come with? Ie secure compound, driver and guards for when you are out etc?
    Also, are you single or do you have a family? It can be difficult for kids in places like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Molly999

Nope it would be just he. Would I really need driver etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

My former boss lived there for a few years, his wife got a job with the UN. Loved it.

It's an amazing city by all accounts. The climate's great, you can ski an hour or two away but there are beaches right beside you. Food and nightlife is wonderful. Culturally it's extraordinarily diverse, I remember him talking about going to the beach and there'd be girls in bikinis hanging out with girls in full Burkas, totally juxtaposed views and yet still friends.

90% sure there was no need for compounds or additional security or any of that.

Janey you're making it sound very attractive! Any ideas tax wise? Financially worth going say you were on €80k?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have you considered the security situation?

• Advertisement

Nope, know nothing about it!

Molly999 wrote: »
    Nope, know nothing about it!

Do you see any issues with that?

All I know us beruit is in the Lebanon . Nothing more. Would security for lone female be a factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

If I was young and had a specific interest in the Middle East, maybe. If I had dependents, than probably no.

Email the journalist, Robert Fisk. He lives in Beruit!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Fisk

Have a look at the British FCO travel advice website. Your travel insurance will depend on what it says and also the Irish Dept of Foreign Affairs...

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/lebanon

This is a selective 'cut n' paste':
    The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to:
    -- southern suburbs of Beirut east of the airport road, defined as: south of the sports stadium to the airport, to east of the main airport highway including the neighbourhoods of Ghobeiry, Chuya, Haret, Hraik, Burj Al Brajne, Mraije, Er Rouais and Laylake

-- southern suburbs of Beirut west of the airport road, defined as: west of the airport highway to the coast, south from Adnan El Hakim Road to Abbas El Mousawi Road.
    There is a high threat from terrorism, and there have been a number of incidents in recent years. Islamist extremist groups will seek to target the Lebanese state, security services, and civilians, and have the intent to target foreigners inside Lebanon. Attacks could take place in areas visited by foreigners, in Beirut and elsewhere, including hotels, restaurants and bars, markets, tourist sites, western-style shopping centres and supermarket chains. Attacks could involve grenades, car bombs, explosive belts, and firearm attacks.

Thank you for that. Yeah, not the best move for a job in accountancy!

• Advertisement

Molly999 wrote: »
    All I know us beruit is in the Lebanon . Nothing more. Would security for lone female be a factor?

You really, really need to educate yourself on the political situation not only in that country, but in the wider region.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know it's different when living and working there, and I have no first hand experience...however my neighbour's son and his girlfriend travelled there for two weeks holiday recently.

They raved about the place. Everything was wonderful, food, people, partying everything. They felt very safe.

Now again, I can only say it may be different if living and working there. But it could be the adventure of a lifetime.

Why not find out a bit more about things from your prospective employer, and maybe s/he they could put put in contact with other ex-pats working for the company.

Don't dismiss it without doing a good bit of research first is what I would say. The security situation is a bit concerning, but the FO seems to think it's safe outside the Southern Suburbs. Our own Dept. of Foreign Affairs advises against all but essential travel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

I've been there a couple of times for work when I lived in the Middle East region. Beirut in general when you stick the main areas is a lovely city and the people are great.
    Couple of challenges:
    Beirut is extremely expense for housing point of view.
    Some of the areas are a no go for Westerners as they are controlled but certain groups in the region.
    If you have not lived in the Middle East this is not a great first place to live. You would really need to know the region.

Advertisement