Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football at the Rio Olympics

• 02-08-2016 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

So the Olympic Games are getting under way tomorrow with the football. Like four years ago, since there are so many games to get through they will begin before the official opening ceremony on Friday.

The women are first on Wednesday with the men starting on Thursday. Here are the groups (via BBC):
    Men's groups

Group A: Brazil, South Africa, Iraq, Denmark

Group B: Sweden, Colombia, Nigeria, Japan

Group C: Fiji, South Korea, Mexico, Germany

Group D: Honduras, Algeria, Portugal, Argentina

Women's groups

Group E: Brazil, China, Sweden, South Africa

Group F: Canada, Australia, Zimbabwe, Germany

Group G: USA, New Zealand, France, Columbia

The games are age-restricted and each team can only bring along 3 players over 23.

Brazil seem to be taking this very seriously with Neymar being chosen as one of their over-23 years picks. Brazil's squad also has Gabriel Jesus and Gabigol who have been linked with moves to big European clubs, plus they've also brought along Lazio's Felipe Anderson, PSG's Marquinhos and Rafinha of Barcelona. Unsurprisingly, they are favourites to win the gold medal.

Germany could also be one to watch. They've brought along Lars and Sven Bender, Matthias Ginter, Serge Gnabry and Max Meyer.

Other familiar names are Tottenham's Son Heung-min for Korea, and John Obi-Mikel who will be representing Nigeria.

For the women, Brazil's Marta looks to be the biggest star. The current world player of the year Carli Lloyd will be there for the USA.

What I find disappointing is that RTE don't appear to be showing any of these games. I don't suppose they will be online even? The BBC I believe will be showing these games on their red button. Maybe they don't want to show anything before the official opening ceremony.

Anyway, will you be watching any games or do you feel, like many do about golf, that football at the Olympics doesn't quite fit?

Personally I'm very interested to see how Brazil get on. They were under immense pressure back in 2014 at the World Cup and if they do get to the latter stages that pressure will be there again. I want to see if they can handle it. With Neymar fit this time I'm thinking they will.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

So the Olympic Games are getting under way tomorrow with the football. Like four years ago, since there are so many games to get through they will begin before the official opening ceremony on Friday.

The women are first on Wednesday with the men starting on Thursday. Here are the groups (via BBC):

The games are age-restricted and each team can only bring along 3 players over 23.

Brazil seem to be taking this very seriously with Neymar being chosen as one of their over-23 years picks. Brazil's squad also has Gabriel Jesus and Gabigol who have been linked with moves to big European clubs, plus they've also brought along Lazio's Felipe Anderson, PSG's Marquinhos and Rafinha of Barcelona. Unsurprisingly, they are favourites to win the gold medal.

Germany could also be one to watch. They've brought along Lars and Sven Bender, Matthias Ginter, Serge Gnabry and Max Meyer.

Other familiar names are Tottenham's Son Heung-min for Korea, and John Obi-Mikel who will be representing Nigeria.

For the women, Brazil's Marta looks to be the biggest star. The current world player of the year Carli Lloyd will be there for the USA.

What I find disappointing is that RTE don't appear to be showing any of these games. I don't suppose they will be online even? The BBC I believe will be showing these games on their red button. Maybe they don't want to show anything before the official opening ceremony.

Anyway, will you be watching any games or do you feel, like many do about golf, that football at the Olympics doesn't quite fit?

Personally I'm very interested to see how Brazil get on. They were under immense pressure back in 2014 at the World Cup and if they do get to the latter stages that pressure will be there again. I want to see if they can handle it. With Neymar fit this time I'm thinking they will.

Looking to win it since they're hosts, even though the Americas have always taken this a lot more serious than the European teams. But well 2014, 7-1 & all that ups it a bit even then I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Fiji qualifying reminds me of Tahiti at the last Confederations cup. New Zealand were disqualified in the OFC qualifying for fielding an ineligible player . The final ended up being Fiji v Vanuatu. Pity Vanuatu didn't qualify, as Fiji will have their time in the sun with the rugby sevens where they are a shoo-in for a medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Why are the womens groups entitled E, F and G instead of A, B and C ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The women's comp is not age restricted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why are the womens groups entitled E, F and G instead of A, B and C ?

So that there isn't two Group As etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

kfallon wrote: »
    The women's comp is not age restricted!

because you should never ask a woman her age ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Woman's games toady and men tomorrow all back to back on the red button and BBC website so that is 5 today and 8 tomorrow. Dunno why they are not showing France V Columbia in the woman's today

Today
    16:50-19:05, Olympics - Women's football, Sweden v South Africa, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs
    19:00-21:05, Olympics - Women's football, Canada v Australia, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs
    19:50-22:00, Olympics - Women's football, Brazil v China, BBC Red Button& selected Connected TVs
    22:00-00:05, Olympics - Women's football, Zimbabwe v Germany, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs
    22:00-00:03, Olympics - Women's football, USA v New Zealand, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs

Tomorrow
    16:50-19:05, Olympics - Men's football, Iraq v Denmark, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs
    19:00-21:00, Olympics - Men's football, Honduras v Algeria, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs
    19:50-22:00, Olympics - Men's football, Brazil v South Africa, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs
    21:00-23:00, Olympics - Men's football, Mexico v Germany, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs
    22:00-00:00, Olympics - Men's football, Portugal v Argentina, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs
    23:00-01:05, Olympics - Men's football, Sweden v Colombia, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs
    00:00-02:00, Olympics - Men's football, Fiji v Korea, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs
    02:00-04:05, Olympics - Men's football, Nigeria v Japan, BBC Red Button & selected Connected TVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Freesat has HD channels which are on 261-268, with SD channels 269 onwards. currently showing Aus v Can womens game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

Just watching the women's games tonight. Canada v Australia was decent and Brazil looked really good playing some lovely stuff to beat China.

On now though is one of the strangest atmospheres I noticed at a game for a while with Germany v rank outsiders Zimbabwe. Think Tahati at the Confederations cup a few years ago...Germany have all the ball but the crowd are erupting every time Zimbabwe make a clearance or knock a pass or two together. Quite interesting to watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

How does a country qualify for it?

Why didn't Ireland get the chance?

Bizarre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

JustTheOne wrote: »

Bizarre?

For the most part it's based on performances at underage tournaments. Europe's representatives are the 4 teams that made the semi-finals at last year's U-21 European Championship.

For the most part it's based on performances at underage tournaments. Europe's representatives are the 4 teams that made the semi-finals at last year's U-21 European Championship.

As I said bizarre mickey mouse stuff.

As I said bizarre mickey mouse stuff.

Seems a fairly logical qualification procedure.
    What do you think the qualification process should be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Supposedly the Brazilians take football at the Olympics pretty seriously as it's the only "major" international football competition they haven't won...

And Argentina have, but I'm sure that doesn't rankle at all

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Yep, Barcelona asked them to bring Neymar to either the Copa America or the Olympics...and they picked the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bizarre?

This is where Ireland's chance at the Olympics ended

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_qualification_Group_6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Brazil - China was on RTE News Now last night.

Seems a fairly logical qualification procedure.
    What do you think the qualification process should be?

So the under 21's do the work in getting there country there and then basically the main team come in and take the glory?

Maybe the tried and trusted method of qualification like the world cup might be better no?

Seems bit unfair to me.

So the under 21's do the work in getting there country there and then basically the main team come in and take the glory?

Maybe the tried and trusted method of qualification like the world cup might be better no?

Seems bit unfair to me.

Ok, 'a bit unfair' is at least reasonable analysis, rather than your earlier 'bizarre mickey mouse stuff' comment.

It's not ideal but it is 'only' 3 overage players who come in, so the bulk of the squad who performed well in the various confederations youth/u21 championships can still go to the Olympics.

Not really feasible to have a separate qualification process for this competition, just not enough gaps in the calendar especially as it would have to reduce 55 uefa countries to 4 so would need to go deeper than a normal qualification campaign.
    The idea of having a UEFA championship feeding into a World event isn't unusual, for example the top 5 in the UEFA U19s qualify for the FIFA U20s World Cup, rather than the latter having a separate qualification process.

Its not a perfect qualification system by any means, but it'd be difficult to get a perfect one.

Ok, 'a bit unfair' is at least reasonable analysis, rather than your earlier 'bizarre mickey mouse stuff' comment.

It's not ideal but it is 'only' 3 overage players who come in, so the bulk of the squad who performed well in the various confederations youth/u21 championships can still go to the Olympics.

Not really feasible to have a separate qualification process for this competition, just not enough gaps in the calendar especially as it would have to reduce 55 uefa countries to 4 so would need to go deeper than a normal qualification campaign.
    The idea of having a UEFA championship feeding into a World event isn't unusual, for example the top 5 in the UEFA U19s qualify for the FIFA U20s World Cup, rather than the latter having a separate qualification process.

Its not a perfect qualification system by any means, but it'd be difficult to get a perfect one.

OK was fair enough probably bit ott.

Maybe it could go on teams who have reached the euros and world cup etc in last 4 years and take the best teams out of that maybe.

Has to be better than basing it on how the under 21's do from a country.

It's not really a true representation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Maybe it could go on teams who have reached the euros and world cup etc in last 4 years and take the best teams out of that maybe.

Yes it is. Nearly, if not all of the U21 players who have participated in the previous qualifying and main UEFA Tournament are eligible to play in this. The only difference is you then get 3 overage players.

You seem to be suggesting that it's full teams when it's not. Letting the main international teams records decide on the qualification process for an U23 tournament is even more bizarre :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

But the Olympics is an under 23's comp, the Irish Squad at the Euros had the highest or second highest average age in the tornament. Maybe basing it on the under 21's is the best way.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Yes it is. Nearly, if not all of the U21 players who have participated in the previous qualifying and main UEFA Tournament are eligible to play in this. The only difference is you then get 3 overage players.

You seem to be suggesting that it's full teams when it's not. Letting the main international teams records decide on the qualification process for an U23 tournament is even more bizarre :confused:

Well why not call it the under 21's Olympic tournament?

I didn't know it was under 23's!

Oops.

I didn't know it was under 23's!

Oops.

Yes, with 3 ovarage players allowed. Ie. Max 3 players over the age of 23 allowed. I believe for the Women Tournament there is no age restrictions.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Brazil - China was on RTE News Now last night.

I'd no idea matches were being shown on the channel. Cheers for this information.

According to the TV Guide the channel will be showing Brazil vs South Africa at 8 pm and Portugal vs Argentina in the game afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Iraq and denmark on at the moment, iraq playing good stuff!

Iraq and Denmark ended 0-0. Here are the teams for Brazil vs South Africa:

Brazil: Weverton; Zeca, Marquinhos, Caio, Douglas Santos; Felipe Anderson, Thiago Maia, Augusto; Neymar, Gabriel Jésus, Barbosa.

South Africa: Khune; Mekoa, Mobara, Coetzee, Mathoho, Mvala, Motupa, Dolly, Modiba, Masuku, Mothiba.

What a forward line Brazil have gone for!

*drools*

I'd no idea matches were being shown on the channel. Cheers for this information.

According to the TV Guide the channel will be showing Brazil vs South Africa at 8 pm and Portugal vs Argentina in the game afterwards.

All games are on the BBC Red Button, if you have Sky/Freesat/FTA. FTA will require a retune though as the BBC has added about 8 RB channels, both in SD and HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    All games are on the BBC Red Button

Not quite....
    For me at least, the Red Button has ceased to work
    So I've added the the 8 Olympic HD channels manually.

If anyone needs here are the frequencies.....

10744 H, 23.000, 2/3, DVB-S2, 8PSK

10.862 H, 23.000, 2/3, DVB-S2, 8PSK

10.876 V, 23.000, 2/3, DVB-S2, 8PSK

Brazil vs South Africa is about to kick off on BBC Olymp 8

Nigeria's preparations have been a shambles. Their flight was delayed because the players thought their plane was too small. They've only now just landed in Manuas and they play Japan in 6 hours.

South Africa look a decent side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oddly this game is only on SD freesat, ch 268 HD is blank but the other game is in HD on 261. Odd.

The Algerian keeper has made a mare that will be the toast of Vine later on

Honduras go 3-1 up

The Algerian keeper has made a mare that will be the toast of Vine later on

Honduras go 3-1 up

I saw a tweet from an Algerian fan saying the other goalkeeper usually starts. I'm guessing he will next time.

• Advertisement

I saw a tweet from an Algerian fan saying the other goalkeeper usually starts. I'm guessing he will next time.

the lad was walking off in tears.

now its onto Mexico v Germany in the teeming rain.

I'm impressed with South Africa's captain Keagan Dolly. It surprises me that he still plays in his home country.

South Africa down to 10 men now. Mvala gone.

Wow. Jesus, how did he not score?

Not quite....
    For me at least, the Red Button has ceased to work
    So I've added the the 8 Olympic HD channels manually.

If anyone needs here are the frequencies.....

10744 H, 23.000, 2/3, DVB-S2, 8PSK

10.862 H, 23.000, 2/3, DVB-S2, 8PSK

10.876 V, 23.000, 2/3, DVB-S2, 8PSK

Brazil vs South Africa is about to kick off on BBC Olymp 8

On reading that, just seen there had been issues with the Red Button on the Sky Platform for ROI viewers.

• Advertisement

Well it ended 0-0. Boos from the home fans.

Disappointing from Brazil considering they played the last half an hour against 10 men. Jesus's chance was the one that they should have made count. I'm surprised he didn't put it away.

Hopefully Argentina vs Portugal delivers more excitement. Khune and Dolly stood out for South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    On reading that, just seen there had been issues with the Red Button on the Sky Platform for ROI viewers.

The Olympics on Red Button can be watched by anyone for free through TvPlayer website.

The channels are:
    http://www.tvplayer.com/watch/bbcredbutton for Red Button.

Then Red Button channels 2-7:
    http://www.tvplayer.com/watch/bbcolympics2
    changing the URL up to
    http://www.tvplayer.com/watch/bbcolympics7

Doesn't seem to be any activity on channels 2-7 for now but that will change after friday.

RTE News Now had advertised Portugal vs Argentina but instead they're showing Iraq vs Denmark in full which ended 0-0 earlier. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Argentina have a considerably weaker side than they have had at previous Olympics. Only two players playing in Europe. Compare that to 2008 when they had Messi,Aguero, Lavezzi, Riquelme, Di Maria, Garay, Mascherano, Banega and Zabaleta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cracking game of ball going on between Argentina and Portugal.

1-0 to Portugal just as I type. It's been very entertaining played at a fast pace with both teams pressing high. The quality on show is impressive.

Diego Simeone's son just csme on for Argentina.

2-0 Portugal. Argentina have never blessed in the goalkeeping department and that is the reason for the second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Cracker for Sweden vs Colombia

1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Great goal by the swedes!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

What channel is the Argentina v Portugal game on.

Have The BBC Red Button channel up, but it's Colombia vs Sweden.

• Advertisement
Advertisement