Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAT Tester wanted for small job, Meath/Cavan border

Options
  • 02-08-2016 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I'm looking for a P.A.T tester to come to me and P.A.T test less than 10 sockets.

Must obviously be qualified to do so and be able to give me a certificate to prove all the tested sockets are indeed safe, including all individual sockets labelled.

Located 10 minutes from Virginia, Co. Cavan on the Meath/Cavan border.

Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I suspect you're a bit mixed up.

Portable Appliance Testing has nothing to do with inspecting & testing socket outlets. So either you don't mean socket outlets or you don't mean PAT testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 misterheg

I meant plugs, of course. Anyway, job done and dusted and now fully compliant!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hope the end user is safe :)

The end user? That would be me then! If I was an electrician, I would become a qualified PAT tester quicker than quick, this is an undiscovered goldmine in this country and will be required by all insurance companies and authorities within the next few years. And these boys know how to charge, that's for sure!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Dude, do you actually know what a PAT is?

It's a 'Portable Appliance Test', nothing to do with sockets or fixed wiring.

It measures insulation resistance, earth continuity, and earth leakage, the limits of which will almost always fail if tested in context of a complete installation.

:)

• Advertisement

Yes, Steve, thank you. I know very well what it is, just had it done and got the certificate to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

misterheg wrote: »
    The end user? That would be me then! If I was an electrician, I would become a qualified PAT tester quicker than quick, this is an undiscovered goldmine in this country and will be required by all insurance companies and authorities within the next few years. And these boys know how to charge, that's for sure!

This is actually massive in Australia. All portable equipment to be used on sites or in industry must be tested and tagged every 3 months with a different colour tag for each quarter.
    In my opinion it is a huge waste of time and money but it is the law. In some cases I think it is actually quite dangerous as it can give the user a false sense of security as the tag may be in date but the lead or piece of equipment may be damaged after it was tested and tagged. There should be no substitute for checking a piece of equipment before using it.

I would hope that Ireland doesn't bring something like this in but with ever increasing safety and ass covering it may be a possibility.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

aido79 wrote: »
    This is actually massive in Australia. All portable equipment to be used on sites or in industry must be tested and tagged every 3 months with a different colour tag for each quarter.
    In my opinion it is a huge waste of time and money but it is the law. In some cases I think it is actually quite dangerous as it can give the user a false sense of security as the tag may be in date but the lead or piece of equipment may be damaged after it was tested and tagged. There should be no substitute for checking a piece of equipment before using it.

I would hope that Ireland doesn't bring something like this in but with ever increasing safety and ass covering it may be a possibility.

I have seen this on some sites in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

2011 wrote: »
    I have seen this on some sites in ireland.

It's on the one we are on. However with the advancement in cordless technology, tools with leads are becoming a thing of the past.

aido79 - I completely agree with you, it's giving users a false sense of security, no doubt about it.

mfceiling - This might be the case that tools are going this way, but, they still need to be charged somehow and this plug will be needed to be PAT tested also.

Tools aside, looking at the UK, insurance companies need to see PAT certificates (yearly) in standard office buildings/blocks and there are a vast amount of companies in London alone doing this kind of work. Here (in Ireland) they charge 4E per plug tested, probably much less when you go big scale but don't forget that an average desk user has at least 4 plugs to his desk.

I would, without any doubt, get qualified and get the equipment to perform PAT asap, if I was an electrician!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

misterheg wrote: »
    aido79 - I completely agree with you, it's giving users a false sense or security, no doubt about it.

mfceiling - This might be the case that tools are going this way, but, they still need to be charged somehow and this plug will be needed to be PAT tested also.

Tools aside, looking at the UK, insurance companies need to see PAT certificates (yearly) in standard office buildings/blocks and there are a vast amount of companies in London alone doing this kind of work. Here (in Ireland) they charge 4E per plug tested, probably much less when you go big scale but don't forget that an average desk user has at least 4 plugs to his desk.

I would, without any doubt, get qualified and get the equipment to perform PAT asap, if I was an electrician!

You should move to Australia - it's a one day course and no electrical experience is necessary.
    It's easy money but very boring and I'm against the whole idea of it so don't want to get involved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

misterheg wrote:

It's very competitive. Lads are just booking themselves out for a day and doing as many items as they can.

Advertisement