Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty house next door - Overgrown back yard

Options
  • 03-08-2016 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have a house next to mine with shrubs etc growing 10 feet tall as the house is vacant for at least the past 2 years. What should I do to get it sorted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Who owns the house?
    That would be your starting point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Give the owner a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057622921/5/#post100494106

This thread asked a similar question and got plenty of answers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Get out your hedge clippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Get out your hedge clippers.

Hedges can only be clipped back to the property line. Any cutting of plants on the neighbour's property without permission is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hedges can only be clipped back to the property line. Any cutting of plants on the neighbour's property without permission is illegal.

Have a tree over hanging my garden that if I cut back to the boundary would be a stick. Tempted to ask neighbour to cut it down as it is beginning to annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Have a tree over hanging my garden that if I cut back to the boundary would be a stick. Tempted to ask neighbour to cut it down as it is beginning to annoy me.
    Well, if they say no, you can always slowly strip bits off it that are overhanging your garden :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agreed.

But the OP said "What should I do to get it sorted?"

The only thing I can see that they would need to get sorted is the overhang into their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Agreed.

But the OP said "What should I do to get it sorted?"

The only thing I can see that they would need to get sorted is the overhang into their property.

The OP quoted the height as being an issue. This is more likely to be on the neighbour's side and indeed can be an issue if untended and depending on the species could become unstable if it grows too large.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

You can only trim it as far up as you can reach normally and you can't do anything that would damage it. Right pain in the hole I'd imagine for a lot of people with inconsiderate neighbours.

• Advertisement

Ah they are sound enough and would probably do something about it if I asked.Just an anecdote really. Not seeking a solution here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭rameire

maybe a silly question,
    could the OP do a P.Kenny on this backyard, remove the side fencing and move in an tend to the garden and hope that time will pass and they can claim the land as their own.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

richy wrote: »
    What should I do to get it sorted?
    Ask the owners if you can pop in the odd time, and give it a trim?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

To be honest i think you know what to do. Find out who owns the house and have a word. Or just shut up. Simple. Or go to court. I don't think your that bleedin stupid. Idiots like you deserve this. Crying about a bit of growth in some elses garden ffs you deserve it. go****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A bit of growth that could house rats nests and other niceties?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

To be honest i think you know what to do. Find out who owns the house and have a word. Or just shut up. Simple. Or go to court. I don't think your that bleedin stupid. Idiots like you deserve this. Crying about a bit of growth in some elses garden ffs you deserve it. go****e

Sorry for whatever is bothering you. Cheer up :-)

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this thread. Forgot about it completly. The house next door is empty for at least 3 years and dont know who the owners are as where we are most of the houses are rentals.

It isnt overhanging just lots of tall shrubery etc. I imagine next door has concrete back yard with loads of things growing through the cracks. We have small backyards too. My worry is just about mice etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

In at night, cut the lot and roundup everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭IRAC War

If it's been empty that long, see post #9.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Their are many solutions. You wont get one on here. Its either find the landlord or next door. Or go over yourself and do a bit. Seriously this is not the place i think you a bit of a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I can't see how a bit of over growth next door is a problem. Mice will only move in if there is a food source and they are far more likely to find one in your house. Think of it as a nature reserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

IRAC War wrote: »
    If it's been empty that long, see post #9.

Do you mean post #13?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Not much you can do I'd say.
    Anywhere there is no disturbance and overgrowth is perfect for mice/rats/foxes, seen em me self behind my garden. Although the mice and rats have gone now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭IRAC War

goz83 wrote: »
    Do you mean post #13?

Nope, although adverse possession is a needed but much maligned doctrine it's begins with long term trespass and I believe we're not allowed to advocate illegal behaviour.

Advertisement