Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corks rising population

Options
  • 03-08-2016 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

According to the recent census 2016 the City's population increased by 4.5% and 4.3%, (since 2011) in the County to give a combined population of 543,000 people. You can see it everywhere at the moment, the increased traffic, the increased footfall around town, packed events, etc.
    To put things in perspective the population of Cork in 2006 was 482,000 so the population has increased in a 10 year period by 61,000. (nearly the population of Galway City).
    Interestingly the population growth is driven by inward migration and Cork has a higher rate (per head of population) of inward migration than anywhere else in the country. All seems like excellent news. Anyone else notice it?
    Highlights yet again the outdated city boundary issue and the need to build.

http://www.businessworld.ie/news-from-ireland/Irish-population-higher-than-expected-on-lower-emigration-565097.html

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/census2016/pr/COPprelim2016.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,311 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Where are they all going to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

They're living here already, hence the need to build more!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ireland is urbanising.....finally. We still have joint fist place with Portugal for the most rural state in western Europe. This was propped up by rural centric policy from the DeValera administration, and continued until now. But thankfully global economic realities are now powerful enough to trump government policy, and there have been some reforms to the free for all one off house policies of the past.

Now the government needs to get it's self out of the way and allow high rise reseidential and office development in Dublin and Cork, and spend a bit of our hard earned money on infrastructure in the Cities as opposed to motorways to Mayo and South Wexford.

Ireland was rural-centric for years since the foundation of the state, no matter what govt was in power simply because farmers/agricultural activity held sway.

But of course Dev is the convenient bogey man. If the cat had kittens it would be Dev's fault.
    And who was the first to bring foreign direct investment to Ireland on a large scale, oh let me see, Sean Lemass co-founder of FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

cgcsb wrote: »
    and spend a bit of our hard earned money on infrastructure in the Cities as opposed to motorways to Mayo and South Wexford.

How are all the city slickers supposed to get to their second house by the beach then? Their Range Rovers aren't built for bad roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Workers coming in from abroad to use their language skills and academic knowledge in the likes of Amazon and Apple are the main drivers of rents in Cork City.Not being racist,just a fact. Now we have a situation where the price of buying a house or renting a house is astonomical.

Add to that the number of landlords getting out of the renting properties, because it didn't turn out to be the gold mine they thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm glad to see the official city figures increasing for the first time in a while after dropping or stagnating for quite a number of past censuses.

I think the last census in 2011 had the Cork urban area (ie official city boundary plus suburbs/environs) population at 199000. I'd say it will be something along the lines of 210 to 215 thousand for census 2016 based on the overall county increase announced last month. Those exact figures won't be available until next March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ireland is urbanising.....finally..... global economic realities are now powerful enough to trump government policy, and there have been some reforms to the free for all one off house policies of the past.

I know what you're getting at but it's Cork's own Minister Coveney who is looking to lump swathes of social housing into every new built estate in the country beside the rest of us who have to pay €200,000 or €300,000 for the privilege to be there. With policies like this, is it any wonder that people want to live in one off housing out in the country?

I can't speak for Dublin or Cork but I know the way any large towns in my own part of the country are going, all that'll be in them in 20 years time is foreigners (not in the slightest bit xenophobic, I just don't want to live in an area where English is the second or third language) and our neighbours who just don't feel like working, God bless 'em. For those reasons, I'd much rather go down the one off route myself, given the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I know what you're getting at but it's Cork's own Minister Coveney who is looking to lump swathes of social housing into every new built estate in the country beside the rest of us who have to pay €200,000 or €300,000 for the privilege to be there. With policies like this, is it any wonder that people want to live in one off housing out in the country?

I can't speak for Dublin or Cork but I know the way any large towns in my own part of the country are going, all that'll be in them in 20 years time is foreigners (not in the slightest bit xenophobic, I just don't want to live in an area where English is the second or third language) and our neighbours who just don't feel like working, God bless 'em. For those reasons, I'd much rather go down the one off route myself, given the choice.

Well. people have to live somewhere. And in my experience foreign colleagues speak English as well as the natives, and generally their spelling and grammar are better.

Top tip: 'Not in the slightest bit xenophobic' is generally followed by a xenophobic comment. A bit like 'I am not racist but...'.

• Advertisement

Diziet wrote: »
    Well. people have to live somewhere. And in my experience foreign colleagues speak English as well as the natives, and generally their spelling and grammar are better.

Top tip: 'Not in the slightest bit xenophobic' is generally followed by a xenophobic comment. A bit like 'I am not racist but...'.

Interpret my comment whatever way you like - the fact remains that I'd rather live in an area alongside people with similar cultural values to my own. Not wanting to live in an area where I don't know what my neighbours are saying to each other doesn't make me racist. In my experience, many foreigners have excellent English, but many, many more don't. Some attempt to integrate, some don't - we can argue that point all day long. I suppose my gripe is probably more to do with being forced to live beside someone who never paid for anything in their life.

Not wanting to live in an area where I don't know what my neighbours are saying to each other doesn't make me racist..

You wouldn't like living in Kerry so...

You wouldn't like living in Kerry so...

Spent 3 years living in Tralee, you're preaching to the choir my friend!

Interpret my comment whatever way you like - the fact remains that I'd rather live in an area alongside people with similar cultural values to my own. Not wanting to live in an area where I don't know what my neighbours are saying to each other doesn't make me racist. In my experience, many foreigners have excellent English, but many, many more don't. Some attempt to integrate, some don't - we can argue that point all day long. I suppose my gripe is probably more to do with being forced to live beside someone who never paid for anything in their life.

Out of curiosity, why do you care? I mean I live in a block of over 100 apartments, I THINK my next door neighbours are East European, but it's hard to tell because we've only ever said 3 words to each other. I could not tell you their names, much less where they work. It's irrelevant to me.

Out of curiosity, why do you care? I mean I live in a block of over 100 apartments, I THINK my next door neighbours are East European, but it's hard to tell because we've only ever said 3 words to each other. I could not tell you their names, much less where they work. It's irrelevant to me.

The last place I lived was the very same - most of my neighbours were eastern European, no problems with them whatsoever and that anonymity was fine for then. However, if I have kids in the future, then I'd like them to grow up somewhere that has a sense of community and you're not going to get that in a place where you don't or can't have a conversation with people who live the other side of a wall from you. It's just my opinion. You obviously don't care about that aspect and that's fair enough too!

So what worries you is a hypothetical situation which may or may not happen?

So what worries you is a hypothetical situation which may or may not happen?

Not really hypothetical, I'm definitely not living in an urban area if I can help it. My point was that the planning policies being introduced aren't going to entice people to become urban dwellers any more than the policies of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The last place I lived was the very same - most of my neighbours were eastern European, no problems with them whatsoever and that anonymity was fine for then. However, if I have kids in the future, then I'd like them to grow up somewhere that has a sense of community and you're not going to get that in a place where you don't or can't have a conversation with people who live the other side of a wall from you. It's just my opinion. You obviously don't care about that aspect and that's fair enough too!

Sweet baby jesus are you from the middle ages or something? A sense of community is nothing to do with where people are from previously. It's how you treat them now.

I live in blackrock in cork city. My children have friends who speak different languages, my two year old's best buddy in creche has polish parents, and they get along fantastically. Her parents both work in software. My 5 year old's best friend is ethiopian, her parents also both work, one doctor, and the other in UCC. We have a fantastic sense of community here. I know all my neighbours, we go to the school events and local sports events, fundraisers for the gaa club etc.

Wouldya get over yourself and throw a community party.

pwurple wrote: »
    Sweet baby jesus are you from the middle ages or something? A sense of community is nothing to do with where people are from previously. It's how you treat them now.

I live in blackrock in cork city. My children have friends who speak different languages, my two year old's best buddy in creche has polish parents, and they get along fantastically. Her parents both work in software. My 5 year old's best friend is ethiopian, her parents also both work, one doctor, and the other in UCC. We have a fantastic sense of community here. I know all my neighbours, we go to the school events and local sports events, fundraisers for the gaa club etc.

Wouldya get over yourself and throw a community party.

Jesus, I'm not exactly pledging allegiance to the EDL here, I was just giving an opinion - obviously you've had a much different experience to the ones I've had, more power to you! I was also actually talking about the way I see things changing in the future, not as they are now. I am familiar with Blackrock - wouldn't it be fair to say that while it is a relatively diverse area, it would still be a majority of Irish people?

By the way, at no stage did I suggest that any of the non-nationals I referred to were generally unemployed. In fact, the difference in the unemployment rates in the Irish and non-Irish is negligible.

On that note, I'll take my leave of you much more enlightened beings than I, I'm off to picket a dole office and maybe the GNIB :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

There's much I could say on the matter but as somebody living in Blackrock it's very easy to boast of the tightknit community and diversity of the area, but there's a reason new houses are being sold in the area for 500k+ - it's without a doubt the best area in Cork you could live, that's close to the city. And with those prices come the cream of the economic crop - doctors, lecturers, well educated & well versed people - so far as social economics go - I think that's huge.

I love living in Blackrock but there's an abundance of space there in comparison to when I was in an apartment, with noise from all directions from neighbors who I then grew to dislike, without ever really talking to them - I put that down to youth but it's also a space thing - it's much easier to be communal when you have space to ensure you're not on each others toes - and city dwelling can be very cramped, claustraphobic and as a result - not a very nice place to reside, regardless of nationality. In a city environment you need to put yourself out there and go to events so it does come down to attitude and approach, whereas in a suburb like Blackrock, pop out the front door and there'll be a neighbor outside tipping away, there'll be a chat had most likely - it's far more laid back and effortless to forge that sense of community imo

Also Pwurple - fundraisers for the GAA club? Clubs bud, it's not all hurling in Blackrock, get behind Michaels would ya :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

D'Agger wrote: »
    There's much I could say on the matter but as somebody living in Blackrock it's very easy to boast of the tightknit community and diversity of the area, but there's a reason new houses are being sold in the area for 500k+ - it's without a doubt the best area in Cork you could live, that's close to the city. And with those prices come the cream of the economic crop - doctors, lecturers, well educated & well versed people - so far as social economics go - I think that's huge.
    Yeah, i know, i know. That's why we saved our arses off so we could afford to live here. Tiny little house in nice area. But in ballincollig I knew our neighbours, in limerick, in NYC, boston... everywhere I've lived I knew my neighbours,because we made the effort.
    Also Pwurple - fundraisers for the GAA club? Clubs bud, it's not all hurling in Blackrock, get behind Michaels would ya :pac:

:) st michaels is the nearer one to me. You'll know me from runner up table in the last table quiz. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

We bought our house three years ago and our (Irish) next door neighbours barely speak to us,I think society in general is heading that way people are less friendly than they used to be.

Other people in this block have kids and the kids play together in the courtyard so presumably the parents meet each other that way. Why can't you talk to foreign people? how do you survive when travelling away from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

It's good to have your own privacy but I wouldn't say my neighbours are irrelevant to me. My philosophy is that I like my privacy and I respect the privacy of my neighbours. Having said that, we never know when anyone of us could be in trouble and it may well be that neighbour who is irrelevant that we may have to turn to. In that case, I would like to know something about whom it was I was turning to in my hour of need. Similarly, if it was I was the one lending a helping hand, it would be helpful to know something (not every minute detail) about the neighbour. I hope that makes sense.

It's good to have your own privacy but I wouldn't say my neighbours are irrelevant to me. My philosophy is that I like my privacy and I respect the privacy of my neighbours. Having said that, we never know when anyone of us could be in trouble and it may well be that neighbour who is irrelevant that we may have to turn to. In that case, I would like to know something about whom it was I was turning to in my hour of need. Similarly, if it was I was the one lending a helping hand, it would be helpful to know something (not every minute detail) about the neighbour. I hope that makes sense.

Oh I could get to know my neighbour if I wanted to/needed to. It's more the way we chose to live. Where we live doesn't force us to not know each other, it merely facilitates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Has this thread gone off topic?

Advertisement