Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I really do this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

Love following your thread - your big runs are inspo to me who just can’t face that distance!
    I’ll be doing the Galway half and need to take a leaf out of ur book and just get some distance done! As the others said - your positivity and strong mind will get you through ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great update gypsylee do not worry about some long runs feeling hard physically or mentally it is all part of the process and as Skyblue said they will stand to you on the day and all that running in the humidity will make you stronger and help if the day turns out warmer than expected like last year :)

that is a great weeks training done, I love your positivity and how your embracing every part of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Time to post last weeks runs.

Saturday 25th August

Distance: 10.1 km. Time: 1 hour 9 mins.
    Splits: 6.55, 6.35, 6.46, 6.43, 6.43, 6.47, 6.44, 6.57, 6.54, 7.12.

Another lovely Saturday morning run. Really enjoyed this one.

Tuesday 28th August

Distance: 5 km. Time: 33 mins.
    Splits: 7.06, 6.39, 6.637, 6.37, 6.49.

An early morning run. Felt good for this one.

Wednesday 29th August

Distance: 8.3 km. Time: 59 mins.
    Splits: 6.51, 6.56, 6.57, 7.10, 7.16, 7.06, 7.04, 7.05.

It was very warm this morning. Another enjoyable run though.

Thursday 30th August

Distance: 6.9 km. Time: 47 mins.
    Splits: 6.31, 6.35, 6.49, 6.42, 6.59, 7.03, 7.06.

This was one of those runs where I would have liked to have kept going for another few kms. Stuck to the plan though.

Sunday 2nd September - Frank Duffy 10 Mile

This was a disaster and I am so disappointed. I had prepared so well for this run, went to the physio on Wednesday and she sorted out my very tight hamstring. No niggles. I ate well for the week, got plenty of sleep and drank loads of water. All looking good. I was hopeful of a 1 hour 55 mins finish but really wanted 1 hour 50. My loose plan was to do the first 10 km in 7 min per km and push on for the next 6 km at about 6.40 per km pace. Error number 1: started out too quick. Happens every time! I get caught up in everyone else's paces to the detriment of my own! The first 6 km went well, happy with the pace and then I stopped for a minute. There was no logical reason for me to stop. Yes it was very hot but I have ran in hotter conditions. I have no excuses. I just gave up so early in the race. I don't know why but I just decided that I was going to run/walk from then on. And so I did as can be seen from the finish time and the splits.

Distance: 16.3 km. Time: 2 hours 2 mins.
    Splits: 6.15, 6.45, 6.45, 6.59, 7.07, 7.10, 7.41, 7.34, 7.50, 8.27, 7.30, 7.37, 7.55, 7.50, 8.11, 8.41.

A week which started great run wise and ended disastrously! Feeling a bit deflated this morning and reconsidering my options as regards DCM. Going on yesterday's performance I will barely make it over the start line never mind the finish line. All the training runs have gone great, I have loved every one of them but the last few races I have just fallen apart which makes no sense to me.

The Half Marathon is in less than three weeks so I need to try and figure out what the issue is with me doing races and try and solve it before then because if I make a mess of the Half then I will have to seriously consider whether I will do DCM. 26 miles is a long way if I start to struggle very early on.

For now I am looking forward to the plan this week even the 16 mile LSR next Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Hey gypsylee, lovely to meet you yesterday.

Sorry the race didn't go as well as you hoped. I'm disappointed too, as I ran far slower splits than I did in last years half. Yes, it was warm yesterday, but we had a warm summer too.
    A week which started great run wise and ended disastrously! Feeling a bit deflated this morning and reconsidering my options as regards DCM. Going on yesterday's performance I will barely make it over the start line never mind the finish line. All the training runs have gone great, I have loved every one of them but the last few races I have just fallen apart which makes no sense to me.

The Half Marathon is in less than three weeks so I need to try and figure out what the issue is with me doing races and try and solve it before then because if I make a mess of the Half then I will have to seriously consider whether I will do DCM. 26 miles is a long way if I start to struggle very early on.

If it is any comfort - you have articulated a lot of the same thoughts going through my head yesterday. I'm questioning all of my training paces and strategy. BUT I'm also trying to convince myself to trust the plan.

Don't beat yourself up. Remember, you are running more mileage now than ever before, so there's bound to some fatigue and each race teaches us something more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Juke makes a good point: "each race teaches us something more"

I feel for you. Your training has been going great so far, don't forget that or dismiss it. On your next run have a think (logically, not emotionally) about what went wrong and what you can do the next time, if you were to repeat the race at the weekend, what would you do differently. As they say in the DCM Novice Thread - "Keep the main thing the main thing". Think of these tune up races as practice for DCM - learn now from them in prep for the main event.

Lastly, everyone in here knows what it's like when a race doesn't go to plan - we've all been there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

There's nothing worse than being disappointed after a race like that and it's made worse because the race was preparation for another race so now you suffering a loss of confidence as well. But lets see what we can learn from the race?

- KM1: Planned pace was 7min/km, actual pace 6:15min/km

You pointed this out yourself but i'm not sure if you understand the full impact of this on your race? You started way way way too fast by the time you had 3 kms run you were already 1min 15secs ahead of where you planned to be :eek: So this is your number 1 thing to work on in the HM, pace yourself in the early KMs and the later KMs will take care of themselves. Even if you have to start at a walk and then break into a gentle jog and hit your target pace over the course of the first km it would be better than going out at 6min/km and having to slow!

You don't mention fuel or water? Did you have any with you - did you take any onboard during the race? By 7km when you seemed to hit a wall, you had been running for 41 mins aprox - at this stage maybe your body was looking for fuel. Next time may i suggest you try taking some fuel and/or water on board after 30 minutes running - if nothing else it may give you a psychological lift.

But listen this is the time to have a crap race, not next October! Right so don't give up, don't panic, you've still got this! I know you can do it. Slow down the early KMs and you'll be sorted. Great week otherwise and you still got it done!

Remember #icaniwill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

gypsylee wrote: »

A week which started great run wise and ended disastrously! Feeling a bit deflated this morning and reconsidering my options as regards DCM. Going on yesterday's performance I will barely make it over the start line never mind the finish line. All the training runs have gone great, I have loved every one of them

You've gotten some excellent advice above but I wanted to highlight the above. This is what will count. Now is the time to make the mistakes and practice your pacing and this and all the work that you've put in is what will count in DCM.

FWIW, I have raced three times this year and two have been awful. One, in particular, caused by very poor pacing. Most importantly, though, the goal race went well.

Keep your chin up. Keep plugging away and see if you can put Ariana's advice into action at the half or even at a wee parkrun some Saturday if there's one near you.

Thanks for the replies and advice. Will take it all on board.

I was sipping on Tailwind throughout, and took a cup of water at the stations and from the children along the route so I don't know if fuel was the issue. I did start too quick and I did pay the price for that. Going to slow all my runs way down from here on, if my marathon pace is going to be between 7 and 8 minute per km then my easy runs at the minute are too fast.

I guess I naively thought that because of all the training I should have been well able to run a comfortable race yesterday, its all still a learning curve. Anyway going to focus on this week's plan, looking forward to a nice slow 3 mile later.

Everyone has given excellent advice already and I agree with it all

I had an awful run 3 weeks before DCM fueling was not a problem it was going out to fast, I got ahead of the pacers and I paid big time hit a huge wall at 17k into a 32km run and run-walked the rest of it I was so worried about DCM but no need I felt great and never made the same mistakes on the day itself. you always learn so much runs like that.

Also for the half, they will have pacers, so you can choose to chat with them and run with them on the day or go to the back of the group and keep them in sight so your pace stays nice and easy you will find you will get stronger and start passing people out towards the end which is a great feeling and gives you a great bost. I always try and start slow and then do a mental check how am I feeling and once I know I am 5km or 6km from the finish I try to increase my pace a little with a sprint finish if I can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

It's also worth thinking back about whether you had enough sleep during the week, if there was anything happening in home life on your mind, hormones... as well as it being a very warm day. Chin up, you finished it, plenty would not have in that situation and its still miles under your belt before DCM. Good idea to practice pacing at a parkrun as mentioned by Huzzah above. And don't forget before DCM, you'll have had a lot more recovery time before the big day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Tough day at the office but nothing that can't be fixed. Ariana hit on it earlier with her comments about the paces. Don't be beating yourself up about 101 other things that might have led to a performance that disappointed you. It was that pace and nothing but the pace. Thankfully that's something you can change quite easily.

I know one person whose watch informed them after the race that they had run their fastest mile ever on that watch and also their fastest 5k. What the watch failed to inform them was that it ended up being their slowest 10 mile race in 3 years!! :pac:

Thanks for the advice. The pacing was definitely the issue. It's done now so going to look ahead and concentrate on slowing down even more on my easy runs and LSRs. Will focus on being ready for the Half and not make the same mistake on that day.

This is my Monday morning check in. After the disaster 10 mile run last Sunday it was time to concentrate on my pacing for all runs.

Monday 3rd September

Distance: 5.4 km. Time: 42.00
    Splits: 7.51, 8.00, 7.36, 7.48, 7.30, 7.24.

Ran this one in the Curragh Camp so nice quiet roads all to myself. Slowed right down and felt it benefited me.

Wednesday 5th September

Distance: 13 km. Time: 1 hour 35 mins.
    Splits: 7.12, 7.14, 7.35, 7.27, 7.38, 7.40, 7.21, 7.18, 7.14, 7.12, 7.20, 7.03, 6.43

It was a lovely morning for this one, felt good throughout and happy with pace. Pushed on a bit for the last km just to see if I could.

Thursday 6th September

Distance: 6.8 km. Time: 49.03
    Splits: 7.01, 7.23, 7.31, 7.02, 7.20, 7.23, 6.22 (0.8)

Another lovely run on a route I have ran many times. Pushed on again for the last bit.

Saturday 8th September

Distance: 26 km. Time: 3 hours 22 mins.
    Average split: 7.47 km. Target pace was 8 minute per km so not far off.

I was apprehensive during the week about this run as it is the longest distance I have ever ran.

It was raining when I set off. I love running in the rain so this suited me just fine. Kept the pace slow and steady. I took a 300 ml bottle filled with half a sachet of Tailwind with me for the first half. Sipped on it from 4 km and all good. Stopped at home at the 14 km mark for five minutes to leave the jacket off as the rain had stopped, have some water and a banana and refill the bottle with more Tailwind.

Was delighted when I set off again that my legs still felt fresh. Was nice and cool without the jacket and the miles ticked by nicely while I listened to all types of music on my phone.

I pushed on a wee bit for the last two kilometres just to see if I could (7.15, 7.11). I was happy though when 26 km beeped on the phone and I stopped. I walked a kilometre to home and my legs felt tired at that point.

It suits me to do these long runs with a wee pit stop in the middle, probably just a mental thing but anything that helps.

I am thrilled with how good this run felt, the Tailwind definitely helped and I did not feel hungry at any stage. Plenty of stretching and foam rolling after. Legs were a bit achy going down the stairs on Sunday but all grand this morning.

Looking forward to getting stuck into week 12 now. I signed up for a local 5 mile run next Sunday, going to do it in the middle of my 12 mile LSR. Won't be racing it but running at an easy pace.

Well done, that is a great week's training :)

congrats on the first 26km completed it is a great mental boost and it went very well for you love that you felt strong enough to pick up the pace for the end of your runs esp the LSR

A great week, gipsylee - will be a confidence boost after the 10 mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Nice running gypsylee - great to get your longest run ever!

Oops, nearly forgot to update this log this week. Too busy running!

Monday 10th September

Distance: 6.9 km. Time: 50 mins.
    Splits: 7.09, 7.10, 7.18, 7.18, 7.11, 7.24, 6.55

It was wet, windy, dark and I felt tired. Glad to get it done.

Wednesday 12th September

Distance: 13 km. Time: 1 hour 32 mins.
    Splits: 6.40, 6.47, 6.42, 6.52, 6.57, 6.48, 6.56, 6.50, 7.47, 6.47, 7.05, 8.23, 7.34.

This was a tough run. My cat was in the vets and I was waiting on word as to whether he could be saved. The first 8 km are at a faster pace than usual because I wanted to call into the vet at the 8km mark. I did, and it was not good news. :( Was going to quit the run at that point but decided to do the last 5 km to deal with my sadness. Goodbye Thomas :(

Thursday 13th September

Distance: 8 km. Time: 57 mins.
    Splits: 7.00, 7.00, 7.16, 7.05, 7.16, 7.07, 7.31, 6.54.

The evenings are getting so dark, ended this one in darkness. Really needed to get out this evening and this run was great for me mentally.

Sunday 16th September

So the plan said a 12 mile lsr. I had intended to run 7 miles and be at the starting line for a local 5 mile run. However that plan did not happen and so I got out early for a 7 mile lsr. The pace was a bit quicker than it should have been but I was concious of the time I had to to it in. Beautiful morning and I really enjoyed the run.
    Distance: 11 km. Time: 1 hour 25 mins.
    Splits: 7.21, 7.34, 7.23, 7.50, 7.46, 7.41, 7.33, 7.48, 7.47, 7.45, 7.46.

5 Mile Run - Time: 1 hour 2 mins.
    Splits: 7.14, 7.24, 8.19, 7.49, 7.13, 7.06, 7.18, 6.59, 6.32.
    Ran this one as an easy run. Would have liked to have finished in under the hour but the hills killed me!

Monday 17th September

Distance: 6.5 km. Time: 50 mins.
    Splits: 7.35, 7.53, 7.47, 7.37, 7.36, 7.43, 7.22.
    Did a 3km loop twice and a bit as it was dark and I wanted to stick close to home. Miserable weather.

Wednesday 19th September

Storm Ali was due to hit and it was already windy when I set off. The plan said 6 miles so I hoped to get it done.

Distance: 8.8 km. Time: 1 hour 3 mins.
    Splits: 6.55, 6.57, 6.48, 7.31, 6.53, 7.30, 6.56, 7.03, 8.00.

It was very windy in places and it was just a case of getting it done. Thought I would run the 10 km but half a km from home it started lashing hailstones. That with the wind made me stop at my front door rather than pass it by. Glad to get most of the run done in terrible conditions.

So here I am, a day away from the Half Marathon. I have only ran one before, last year. Got the pace wrong as usual and got over the finish line in 2 hours 44 mins. I was disappointed with that time. I would love to improve on that time tomorrow. My plan, which I intend to follow, is to start at 7.30 km pace and hopefully be able to push on for the last couple of kilometres. To see a 2 hour 30 something would be great. It will be my own fault if I don't manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good week. Best of luck tomorrow :)

Sorry to hear about your cat. Best of luck in the half. Take it handy for the first 5 miles and reassess your pace after that. You know you can do it!!

Ah, Gypsy, so sorry to hear about Thomas.

Hope you've a fab run tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

So sorry to hear about your cat.
    I hope you have a great race tomorrow, you deserve it, good luck!

Aw no, that's sad news about your cat.
    I hope you have a great race tomorrow anyway :)

Sorry to hear about Thomas, G. Tough week.

Have a good day tomorrow, take it steady to start and then enjoy!

SSE Dublin Half Marathon

It was a beautiful morning for this run, perfect running conditions. I lined up right at the back knowing that I would be one of the slowest runners on the course. Didn't feel nervous about this run at all, I planned to take it nice and easy and run my own race at an average pace of 7.30 per km.

Had a wee issue with my Garmin at the first km beep which meant it saved that distance and then I had to restart it for the remainder so no Half Marathon distance showing on Strava! And if it's not on Strava then it didn't happen :)

I am only familiar with parts of the Phoenix Park so it was lovely to take in the scenery and beautiful surroundings. Being way down the back meant there was very little congestion at any stage and no weaving necessary which was a bonus.

I focused on my pace, breathing and just relaxed for the whole of the run. There were a few drags but the only significant hill I noticed was the one at the 12 mile sign. It was nice when I hit the downhills though. I stopped at each water station, took a drink and poured water over my calves. Sipped Tailwind the whole way around and refilled the bottle at the 9 mile (I think) water station.

My daughter shouted encouragement to me at the 10 mile mark and that gave me a boost for the remaining 5 km.

The only time I felt the run was a bit of a struggle was at the 12 mile point when my stomach started heaving a bit. Stopped for a minute or so and the feeling passed. I was delighted to see the finish line and felt strong running towards it. I think there was a few more kilometres left in the tank at that pace which bears well for the 28th of October!

My chip time was 2.36.16 which is at 8.5 minute PB on my only other half marathon in August of last year. Said I would be happy with under 2 hours 40 mins so delighted with that result.

Distance: 21.2 km. Garmin Time: 2 hours 34 minutes (watch had auto-pause set up!!)

Splits: 7.28, 7.17, 7.16, 7.26, 7.28, 7.33, 7.22, 7.20, 7.35, 7.17, 7.23, 7.08, 7.21, 7.15, 7.35, 6.56, 6.41, 7.12, 6.49, 7.35, 7.02.

And so on to Week 14! Looking forward to a nice easy 5km later.

Delighted to see the half go well for you. Well done for holding back at the start and concentrating on your own run. Sounds like you quite enjoyed that race!!

Lovely running and pacing and a PB to boot. Nice work.

Brilliant, well done! Congrats on the PB - and well under target too! Sounds like it was no bother to you at all either!

Well done gypsylee an 8 min PB that is brilliant delighted for you :) keep up the great work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

8 1/2 min PB is impressive regardless of when the other one was. Well done you :)

• Advertisement

Nice running, gypsylee, glad you enjoyed it!

Advertisement