Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I really do this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good to see you back logging again :) good luck at the 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

2018 - What a year

The main focus for the year was the marathon but enjoyed some great races along the way - I completed six 5k runs, five 10k runs, one 5 mile run, one 10 mile run and one half marathon.

I was lucky in that I was only injured once, my ankle in March so April was spent recovering.

The training for the marathon and the day itself went great, I loved every step along the way.

So what’s the plan for 2019? I am going to focus on improving my times for 5k and 10k runs. A sub 60 minute 10k will be achieved hopefully as I am a long time waiting for it and a few sub 30 5k. I also want to do DCM race series but not the marathon!

I am running a half marathon in Donadea next week, purely because I like the bling. I will be slow, probably last but I will get that medal.

Next Monday I am joining a Winter training 12 week plan with a local group. The aim of the group is to improve speed for 5k and 10k so perfect for me. I have never ever ran with other runners except for races obviously so this will be new to me. Stepping out of my comfort zone.

I want to wish each and every one of you a healthy and happy 2019. Thanks for all the support advice and encouragement since I started this running lark. Cheers me dears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck in Donadea and Happy New Year.

Exciting times ahead gypsylee it will be great running with a group :D

Good luck at Donadea next week enjoy it and Happy new year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Happy new year! I went for a walk in Donadea on New Year's Day and was thinking how nice it would be to run there. I didn't know there was a half marathon there but it looks like a lovely place for one! Good luck with it and the new plan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck in the HM. And fair play on stepping out of your comfort zone in joining the training group, that's never an easy thing to do but i bet it will really pay off. Here's to running shorter faster this year :)

Midway through January already. Just plodding along doing a few runs but definitely not back in a routine of three or four runs a week. Will try harder this week!

I am not doing the 12 Week Training Plan which I had hoped to. It turns out that it is more about increasing the distance from 5k to 10k rather than improving your speed at these distances. As I can run a 10k comfortably I thought it would not really benefit me. I will keep doing solo runs for the moment.

Saturday 12th January - Donadea Half Marathon

I only signed up for this because I really liked the medal!

I knew it would be tough as I had not trained specifically for it and the surface would be a lot different from roads.

The weather was perfect for it. Only about 200 taking part so I knew I would probably be last but that did not bother me. The course was a one km stretch and then a 5km loop X 4. The course was muddy in parts, grassy and gravelly in other parts and not a lot of smooth road surface!

I started at the very back and intended to keep my pace at 7.30 per km. Unfortunately the rest of the runners were going a a quicker pace than that and I was anxious not to be left behind and lose my way (My sense of direction is crap) so I ran the first few kms quicker than I wanted to.

Felt a bit sick around 8 km and was so tempted to call it a day after the second loop (10km). The only thing that kept me going was the fact that my sister was doing it too (a lot quicker than me) and I knew she would have the lovely medal and I would be leaving empty handed. That and the fact that I have never not finished a run convinced me to keep going. From then on there was a lot of walking/running, anything to get me around.

It was tough crossing the finish line after 16km around the 2 hour time and so many were finished and I still had another 5k to go. Anyway I kept going and for the last 5k I was mostly on my own. Crossed the finish line in 2 hours 42 minutes and I was happy to get under the 3 hour mark given the way I felt mentally. And I was not last!

Distance: 21.3km Time: 2 hours 42 mins.
    Splits: 6.58, 6.55, 6.58, 6.52, 6.42, 6.45, 7.21, 8.10, 7.21, 7.00, 7.32, 8.13, 8.52, 7.43, 7.30, 7.56, 8.15, 8.15, 7.52, 7.28, 8.10.

That's me done with longer distances now until the Frank Duffy 10 mile in August and the Race Series Half in the Phoenix Park in September. Its 5k and 10k runs for me now.

Well done :) that sounds like hard work but you did it an got the medal that is fantastic

What plan where you looking at again was it the Grads one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done gypsylee, that was a great achievement. It definitely would have been easier to DNF on that after both the 2nd lap and the 3rd lap by the sound of it but you didn't, you dug deep! Fair play, you deserve your lovely new medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Well done J! That last 5k sounds fairly tough but you got through it. I love the medal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Well done! I'd be terrified to try a half even in training at the moment, so fair play on getting it done.

Well done you! Sounds tough - especially doing laps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done! Not easy to do such a long distance when you haven't really trained for it. Also not easy mentally when you feel like you are a bit slower, near last or left behind. Sounds like an interesting run with the change of scenery. And a great medal to mark World Half Marthon Day.

And the end of January looms and what a lazy month it was for me. No excuses for not getting more runs in, just didn't feel like getting out there. I did manage to do a Half Marathon and a 5 Mile Run yesterday so not a complete disaster!

16th January - 5 km run - 33 mins.

23rd January - 8 km run - 55 mins.

Sunday 27th January - Charlie Curran Memorial 5 Mile Run

I was looking forward to this run, was hoping to get under 55 minutes but did not put myself under pressure.

It was a beautiful bright morning but very cold, the wind was biting.

A lovely route, 2.5 miles out and then back in. Flat all the way apart from a tiny uphill.

I started between the 52 min pacer and the 55 min pacer. I ran steady throughout and when I turned at the half way point I met the 55 min group still on the way out so I was determined to keep them behind me if possible.

Stopped for a few seconds at the water station on the way back but was happy to be able to run the whole route and felt I paced it well.

Finished with an official time of 53 mins 6 seconds and happy with that time.
    Splits: 6.47, 6.42, 6.38, 6.23, 6.29, 6.31, 6.38, 6.26.

Lovely medal and lots of soup and food afterwards. I won a lovely perfume set in the raffle too so a good morning.

Distance so far in January: 70 km. Was hoping to make 100 km this month but my laziness put paid to that! Might manage to get to 80 or 85 if weather is good!

Well done - that's a great 5 mile. So well paced, there was no bother to you at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Nice running in the five mile. I think soup after a race is the best thing.

Well done at the 5 mile gypsylee :) very nicely paced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Well done! Very comfortably under your target too, nicely done :)

So January is over so time to knuckle down and get focused again.

Wednesday 30th January

The weather was perfect for a run. Set out to do 8km but enjoyed it so much I ran 10km. Enjoyed this one.

Distance: 10 km. time: 1 hr 11 mins.
    Splits: 6.52, 7.00, 7.11, 7.06, 7.04, 6.58, 7.09, 6.48, 7.06, 8.05.

Saturday 2nd February

I have a terrible fear of slipping on frosty footpaths so waited til 1.00 p.m. to get out for this. I intended to run nice and easy but the legs wanted to go a bit quicker so it turned into a 4km run @ 5k race pace and a slower 1km. Thought I might go further but the lure of the rugby and the pub was too strong :)

Distance: 5 km. Time: 32.48.
    Splits: 6.38, 6.20, 6.13, 6.06, 7.28.

Monday 4th February

Back following a plan so this was the first run on it. Plan said 5k but it was such a lovely evening that I did an easy 4 mile. Happy with pace.

Distance: 6.6 km. Time: 50 mins.
    Splits: 7.37, 7.39, 7.39, 7.26, 7.35, 7.35, 7.41 (0.6).

I am going to London in March to support my sister who is running the London Landmarks Half Marathon. Last week I got the chance of a place too so I decided it would be rude not to take it!! I swore I was not doing another Half til September but plans change! I have jumped in at week 6 of a Hal Hidgeon Half plan so will follow that for the next few weeks. Looking forward to the Half as I have not visited London before.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Best of luck with the training J. I'm already dying to read your race report on London! You will be great.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the training J. I'm already dying to read your race report on London! You will be great.

Thanks L. I will be slow as usual but I intend to enjoy the experience and soak up the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Welcome back :)

Think you'l love the routine of following a programme too.

Ooh that will be a great way to see London for the first time. How cool!

Ah delighted for ya! Looking forward to following your training. All the best for London!

OH that sounds like great fun and a great way to see a city good to see you logging again

Halfway through February and just plodding along getting the miles in before the Half.

Wednesday 6th February

Distance: 8.5km. Time: 59 mins.

Splits: 6.52, 6.50, 6.48, 6.38, 6.31, 7.21, 7.00, 7.11, 7.22.

Did this run in the afternoon. It was a lot warmer than I thought, too much clothes so slowed right down half way.

Saturday 9th February

Distance: 13 km. Time: 1 hour 36 mins.
    Splits: 7.24, 7.37, 7.22, 7.22, 7.37, 7.21, 7.07, 7.26, 7.11, 7.07, 7.07, 7.43, 7.47.

A bit too quick for my LSR as the splits are what I want to achieve in the Half!

Lovely morning for this run, really enjoyed it.

Monday 11th February

Distance: 6.5km. Time: 43 mins.
    Splits: 7.06, 6.52, 6.53, 6.35, 6.35, 7.11, 7.04.
    Lovely evening run. A 3k loop by 2 plus a bit.

Wednesday 13th February

Distance: 5km. Time: 34 mins.
    Splits: 7.09, 6.43, 6.28, 6.47, 7.07.

Busy day so just managed an early morning short run.

Saturday 16th - Should have been an LSR day but it was my birthday so I spent the day eating and drinking instead!

Sunday 17th February - Superheros 5k Run, Kill

Distance: 5 km. Time 31.56 mins.
    Splits: 6.05, 6.08, 6.32, 6.22, 6.42.

I have no idea why I agreed to do this run the day after my birthday and I was regretting it before the run listening to the rain and wind outside the car! Decided I would give it my best shot and if I failed miserably so be it. Was hoping for under 32 mins but would be happy once I finished under 35 mins given my delicate head!

It was a 1km walk to the start, then a 2km run before turning around and running back 3km to the finish line. Lovely route, the sun came out and a lovely friendly atmosphere. Really enjoyed it and delighted to squeeze in just under 32 minutes.

So five weeks to the Half, my plan for this week is a 4 mile run tonight, a 6 mile run on Wednesday, circuit training on Thursday night and a 10 mile slow LSR on Saturday morning.

I would love to complete the Half in under 2 hours 35 minutes. My PB is 2 hours 36 mins so maybe... just maybe.

well done gypsylee that's good going with a delicate head

Happy Birthday :D

you will have no bother knocking a minute off your HM time

1st of March already. Its great to see the mornings and evenings getting brighter. Summer is on the way!

Monday 18th February

Distance: 6.4 km. Time: 48 mins.
    Splits: 7.32, 7.22, 7.35, 7.24, 7.11, 7.32

Took this one nice and easy after yesterday's 5k. A run of the mill run!

Wednesday 20th February

Distance: 8.1 km. Time: 52 mins.
    Splits: 6.35, 6.25, 6.06, 5.52, 6.53, 6.20, 6.26, 6.48

Ran this one by feel rather than pace. Decided to speed up after 2 km for a couple of kms to see if I could! Happy with this run though I got soaked half way through!

Thursday 21st February

Circuit Training. I am really enjoying these classes. The first six sessions were free as part of a local Operation Transformation initiative. Just signed up for nine more paying classes. Feel great after a bit of weights and cardio.

Saturday 23rd February

Distance: 16.1 km. Time: 1 hour 59 mins.
    Splits: 7.09, 7.32, 7.11, 8.03, 7.41, 7.30, 7.32, 7.35, 7.24, 7.32, 7.22, 7.17, 7.56, 6.47, 7.35, 7.06

This was a LSR. Wanted to keep the pace between 7.30 and 8 min per km but only managed it a bit. Stopped at home half way through due to a dodgy tummy. Rennies on board and the second half was much better. It was very windy out though and the bit of the Curragh that I ran was tough.

Glad to get the 10 miles in the bag though I was wrecked after!

Monday 25th February

A lunchtime walk of 5 km in 45 minutes. Knew I wouldn't get out for a run tonight and the weather was so nice.
    I find it so hard to walk fast though, find running 5km a lot easier. Strange!

Tuesday 26th February

An evening walk of 5km with my daughter. Lovely evening and nice to have company on the road for a change.

Wednesday 27th February

Distance: 10 km. Time: 1 hour 8 mins.
    Splits: 6.13, 5.51, 6.17, 6.45, 6.17, 7.09, 4.35, 7.28, 7.43, 6.38.

I did not intend to start off so quick but my legs wanted to go so I decided to run 5k at my current 5k race pace and then do a 5k slow run. A different route this morning from the Curragh Camp through the Curragh Plains and a bit of zig zagging on various roads. Trust me, the Curragh is not completely flat!

Lovely morning for this run and the change of scenery was nice. I even ran on the grass for a bit.

Thursday 28th February

Circuit Training. No weights tonight, just cardio. It was a tough session but felt great after it. Loved it!

So three weeks to the London Half. Will get out for an 11 mile LSR in the morning. Going to try and slow it right down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Looking at your last lsr you should be able to get a pb in the half! Would you have managed another 5k though?
    You're right to slow down the lsr though, you don't want to be doing them at half marathon pace, especially when you've only three weeks left. I've been trying to slow down my easy runs too and I find it helps if you focus on breathing slowly and deeply.
    Best of luck

• Advertisement

The weeks are really flying by. Loving the bright evenings. Feel like Summer is on the way :)

I have had a lazy few weeks and considering I am running a Half Marathon on Sunday I am not sure if that is a good thing! A combination of bad weather (I really really hate running in the wind) and laziness meant I did not run as much as I should have. Anyway too late to do any more training at this stage.

Saturday 2nd March

Distance: 18 km. time@ 2 hour 16 mins.
    Average split: 7.36 km.

It was wet, it was cold and it was windy. Struggled to get out for this one but I really needed to know I could do the distance so I sucked it up. After a few km's I settled into it and it turned into quite an enjoyable run. It's true, the step out the door is the hardest one! Delighted to get it done.

Wednesday 5th March

Distance: 10.2 km. Time: 1 hour 9 mins.
    Average split: 6.48 km.

I hated every step of this run. It was so so windy. Had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath. Then it lashed on me even though the forecast said no rain! Just a horrible run but more miles in the legs.

And then I took a week off because the wind was really annoying me!

Wednesday 13th March

Distance: 12km. Time: 1 hour 23 mins.
    Average split: 6.57 km.

I enjoyed this run as the weather was nicer.

No LSR on Saturday as I had a physio appointment. From my left hip to my knee has been niggling a while, it is painful when driving and going up the stairs but I can run fine with it although leg feels a bit heavy. She confirmed it was my IT band, gave it a good hammering and exercises/stretches to do and foam rolling.

Monday 18th March

Distance: 7 km. Time: 48 mins.
    Average split: 6.55km.

I needed to do a run this morning to test out my leg after the physio session. It was painful starting off but eased after a couple of kms. Leg is feeling fine now so fingers crossed it will be okay for Sunday.

I wanted to to this run at 7.30 per km as this is my Half pace for Sunday. I thought I was going slow enough but didn't slow down enough as I never hit that pace. I really need to start the Half at this pace cos I know if I go out much quicker I will blow up half way through. A 7.30 pace will ensure I finish under 2 hours 35 mins which is my goal. Just have to keep reminding myself of this.

And that's it now until Sunday. Looking forward to this run, going to enjoy the atmosphere and hopefully get a good finish time.

Advertisement