Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I really do this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I was wondering when your half was coming up. Best of luck with it and enjoy the break away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck on Saturday. Hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Oooohhhh enjoy. I'm really looking forward to hearing about this one. Might chalk it down as one to do myself next year. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I think you are well prepared for the half :) you have more miles in the legs done than me so it will be no other to you good luck and I look forward to hearing all about it

So I hope you enjoy it and FX for no wind !!! I am over the wind as well at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

London Landmarks Half Marathon - Sunday 24th March 2019

Let me start my report by stating that I did not get my hoped for PB in this race but you know what, it really didn't matter on the day. It will be achieved in the Phoenix Park in September.

Distance: 21.2 km. Chip Time: 2 hours 38 mins.
    Splits: 7.19, 7.28, 6.43, 6.37, 6.58, 6.53, 7.30, 6.48, 7.37, 7.19, 7.47, 8.08, 7.30, 7.43, 7.04, 7.32, 7.54, 7.30, 7.52, 8.03, 7.56, 6.15 (0.2).

5k - 35.23, 10k - 1.12.20, 15k - 1 hour 50 mins, 20k - 2 hours 29 mins, Finish - 2 hour 38 mins. A good start leading to a slow finish.

I have ran a lot of 5ks, 10ks, 4 halfs and one marathon and this event was by far my favourite. I had never visited London before so running past all the historic monuments was very special. Listening to the bells ringing out from St. Paul's Cathedral (I think it was) and running down alongside the Thames was amazing. The route took us into the heart of the city.

Arriving at Trafalgar Square on Sunday morning was really special. The blue skies, the crowds, the atmosphere all made for a great build up to the run.

There were 13,000 runners in different waves. My wave (Rainbow) started at 10.10 but I somehow managed to start at 10 o'clock. The support the whole way around the city was electric, there was no "quiet" sections at all. High fiving the kids (and adults!), listening to drummers, bands and running by the cheer stations set up by the many charities all added to the fun of the day. Hearing my name being called out and shouts of support was very welcome. I have never experienced support like it.

The course was mainly flat, just a slight drag up Tower Hill before passing the Tower of London and running along the Thames down by The Shard down towards Big Ben before finishing by Downing Street.

It was very warm on the day, beautiful blue skies and no cloud meant the shaded areas by the high buildings and the tunnels were very welcome.

Seeing the finish line come into view, and my daughter and two sisters cheering me over the finish line was the perfect end to a lovely event. The volunteers giving out the medals were all dressed up as people from the past and was a lovely sight. The medal is really lovely.

We made our way through the Marble Arch towards Buckingham Palace for the obligatory post-race photos and what a sight that was.

I am delighted that I got the chance to run this event. London is a beautiful city and being able to run through the streets with no traffic was very special.

That's my last Half now until September. Looking forward to getting a few 5k and 10k races done over the Summer. My next event is a local 5km run on Sunday morning called "Wine on the Line" and yes, there is a bottle of wine given at the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Ah that was just lovely to read J. Delighted you had such a great time. Well done! You're amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sounds amazing and it sounds like one that should be enjoyed really! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Sounds very enjoyable, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

It looked like a great route on Strava. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Good luck in the 5k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

It sounds like a great event. I love the idea of a race in a foreign city, such a nice way to see the surroundings. Glad you enjoyed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That sounds like an amazing event. Glad you enjoyed it.

Well done it really sounds like you had lots of fun which is the most important part you have me sold sounds like my kind of run :)

Well done. That's a great time for a long race that you only decided to do recently. And your report reads like you had a great run, as do your km splits. Loving the idea of running a race in a new city and getting some sightseeing done at the same time! (also cos I like having a bit of a nose about me when I'm out for a run!)

First week of April gone already, time is flying by.

So after the Half in London it is nice just to get out running for the enjoyment of it with no target race until the Race Series starts in July.

Wednesday 27th March

Distance: 6.5km. Time: 44 mins.
    Splits: 6.55, 7.02, 7.00, 6.12, 6.58, 6.637, 7.04.

I ran the 5k route that I will be running on Sunday just to see how I got on and added a wee bit at the end. Enjoyed this.

Sunday 31st March - Mother's Day 5km Wine on the Line

Distance: 5 km. Time: 30 mins 55 sec.
    Splits: 6.02, 6.32, 6.28, 5.27, 6.25.

I was hoping to get under 32 minutes for this race so delighted to get under 31 minutes. Ran my heart out for a km in the middle and that 5.27 split was well earned! It has been so long since I ran a sub 30 min 5k and I hope to get one before the end of the year.

So I set myself a wee challenge - Active April as I call it, where I plan to run/walk every day in April with circuit training on a Thursday. Hoping it will motivate me to get out no matter what the distance.

Monday 1st April

A nice 5k run to start the month well.
    Time: 35 mins. Splits: 6.57, 7.00, 6.53, 6.57, 6.57.

Tuesday 2nd April

Lunchtime 5k walk as no time for a run this evening.
    Time: 45.30 mins.

Wednesday 3rd April

Distance: 7 km. Time': 48 mins.
    Splits: 6.38,6.29, 6.45, 7.11, 7.04, 6.26, 7.17

It was cold and windy, a tough one but glad to get it done.

Thursday 4th April

Circuit Training for an hour. Running is definitely easier! My poor arms after weights!

Friday 5th April

Distance: 5 km. Time@ 30.49 mins.
    Splits: 6.22, 6.04, 5.46, 5.52, 6.35.

I never run on a Friday preferring to eat Chinese food and chill so I was pleasantly surprised at the splits for this one. Lovely evening and felt good to be out.

Saturday 6th April

Distance: 8.11 km. Time: 1 hour 5 mins
    Splits: 7.41, 7.47, 7.45, 7.56, 8.46, 7.47, 7.52, 8.52, 7.56.

A nice lsr with my sister who has signed up for the Race Series. By encouraging her to get out for a run meant I had no excuse to lie in bed so win win. Happy with this pace as my legs were tired after the week's running.

Sunday 7th April

Distance: 5.73 km. Time: 37 mins
    Splits: 6.40, 6.32, 6.38, 6.16, 6.06, 6.50.

After sitting in the car all afternoon it was nice to get out for this run in the evening. I have never ran on a Sunday evening before! What have I become??? Treated myself to new runners as have been wearing my old ones since last May and there has been a long of miles done since then! Great value in Asics in Kildare Village.

Lovely run but a tad windy on the Curragh, feet felt lovely and cushioned in the new footwear.

A good start to my Active April plan though my legs feel tired today. A short slow run this evening me thinks.

April update.

Active April went well for me. I managed 28 days out of 30 (blame Storm Hannah for missing the 26th and pure laziness for the 30th! - I was wrecked).

Monday 8th April

A nice walk with my daughter.
    4.65 km. Time: 45 mins.

Tuesday 9th April

Lunchtime walk. Enjoying these walks, wake me up for the afternoon.
    5.00 km. Time: 44 mins.

Wednesday 10th April

Short morning run before getting the hair sorted.
    5.00 km. Time: 32 mins.

Thursday 11th April

Circuit Training. Really enjoying these classes but it is tough. My poor arms.

Friday 12th April

A lovely 6.5 km run for CF Ireland.
    6.5 km. Time: 42 mins.

Saturday 13th April

Ran in a different town while waiting on my daughter. Nice to have a different view. It was very windy!
    5 km. Time: 33 mins.

Sunday 14th April

A local 5k run which I ran with my eight year old niece who did great. Nice bit of bling.

5 km. Time: 34 min 49 sec.

Monday 15th April

Evening walk with my daughter.
    5.1 km. Time: 51 mins.

Tuesday 16th April

Usual lunchtime walk.
    5 km. Time: 44 mins.

Wednesday 17th April

Had planned to do 12 km but only managed 10.
    10.1 km. Time 1 hour 7 mins.

Thursday 18th April

Could not make circuit training this evening so got out for a short afternoon walk instead.
    4 km. Time: 37 mins.

Friday 19th April

No work today so got out for a lovely morning run. The weather was perfect. A great run.
    5.6 km. Time: 37 mins.

Saturday 20th April

It was late before I managed to get out and do 5 laps of my estate to make 2 km. It all helps!
    2 km. Time: 13 mins.

Sunday 21st April

Nice evening walk to burn off the Easter eggs!
    4 km. Time; 51 mins.

Monday 22nd April

Bank holiday run. Very hot.
    5 km. Time: 34 mins.

Tuesday 23rd April

Lovely evening walk on the Curragh.
    4 km. Time: 40 mins.

Wednesday 24th April

Can't really remember this one! Must have been okay.
    10.5 km. Time: 1 hour 11 mins.

Thursday 25th April

Circuit Training. It is not getting any easier!

Saturday 27th April

After Hannah had passed over I got out for a lovely evening walk with my son which was a rare event!!
    4 km. Time: 41 mins.

Sunday 28th April

The Grocer's Run in the Phoenix Park. The Park is my favourite place to run, I really envy those living close enough to it to do their training runs there.

The run started half an hour late which was a bit annoying. We started at 11 and I just ran by feel. I was very surprised when my watch beeped 5.34 for the first km. Thought about slowing down but decided to stick with the pace and see what happened. Sure if I died at 3 km I could struggle for the last 2 knowing I had ran a fast (for me!) 3 km. Not a good race strategy but one I decided to try. All well for the 3 km, walked a bit up the "big hill" and ran a bit slower from then on. I could not believe when the finish line was in sight and I could see 29 min.... on the clock. One of my running goals for this year is to get a sub 30 again as my pace has slowed down since last year. I ran as fast as I could and crossed the line with a chip time of 29 mins 32 seconds. I did it! Thought I was going to get sick right after I crossed the line but I was fine. Thrilled to have got that goal ticked off early in the year.
    Got my medal and the best goodie bag ever and waited for my daughter and sister to finish.

Distance: 5 km. Time: 29.32 (chip time).
    Splits: 5.34, 5.31, 5.46, 6.38, 6.02.

Monday 29th April

Lovely evening for a run.
    5 km. Time: 35 mins.

And that is April finished. 136 km for the month. Happy with that.

So the plan for the next few weeks is a 10km run in Castlecomer next week and a 10km run in Kildare on the 16th of June. Would like to run these in under 63 minutes as my aim for the year is to finally get a sub 60 for a 10k race.

Training for the Race Series Half starts at the beginning of July. I plan on running the Half distance the last weekend in June before training starts. Going to sign up for the Waterford Half Marathon virtual medal for this one. Sure if I am doing the distance I might as well get a bit of bling for my effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Great month altogether there! Well done on getting the sub-30 again, very nice to meet your goal at this point in the year

well done on the sub 30 5km :D that is brilliant

An excellent month of running, with a great finish at the end of it!

Just realised I had not posted on this log since the 2nd of May. Slap on the wrist for me!

I ran a total of 76 km in May so a quiet month overall.

On the 12th of May I ran the Searlait Twang Memorial Run in Castlecomer. Always a tough hilly run and this year was no exception. Finished in 1 hour 6 minutes, a couple of minutes slower than I had hoped for but the hills won!

Ended the month in beautiful Devon where I enjoyed a few early morning runs. I love this area and really enjoyed the runs.

I completed the mini marathon on the 2nd of June, usually walk it with my daughter and we finished in 1 hour 26 minutes. Love this event and number 15 in the bag.

Local 10k Race on the 16th of June which is always a tough one for me. The day before was my Dad's second anniversary and the day of the race was not only Father's Day but also my Dad's birthday so I tried to get my head right for this run. Finished in 1 hour 5 mins, still 5 minutes slower than my best 10k time but today was not about times, it was a case of getting it done. Happy enough with it, just didn't have it in me to finish any quicker.

I will be finishing the month of June with a total of 90km in the legs, still a bit less than it should be but June is always a busy month for me with numerous birthdays, anniversaries to be celebrated of which I did in abundance. The excess eating and drinking is showing on my waistline and I am about a stone heavier than I want to be! I will be addressing this issue from July onwards as I start my Half Marathon training for the Race Series Half in September. That sub 2 hour 35 mins will be mine this time! Will be following the Hal Hidgeon Novice 2 plan and I am ready now to get stuck in. Looking forward to the Race Series as I really enjoyed it last year.

Good to see you back :D I will be following with interest I am running the Half as well so maybe we should arrange a meet up before hand :)

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Good to see you back :D I will be following with intrest I am running the Half as well so maybe we should arrange a meet up before hand :)

Good luck with your training N. A meet up would be great. Love meeting people from here in "real life"!

gypsylee wrote: »
    Good luck with your training N. A meet up would be great. Love meeting people from here in "real life"!

New Month, New Plan. Here I go again trying to get nearer to that sub 2 hr 30 min Half. Think it will always beat me. Hoping to get under 2.35 for the Half in September and if I can get quicker than than time then great :)

Week 1

Monday - 3 miles easy. Average split 8.15 km.

Garmin won't sync to Strava. A lovely easy run.

Wednesday - 3 miles easy. Splits: 737, 8.08, 8.15, 7.58, 7.37.

Thursday - 3 miles easy. Splits: 7.56, 8.13, 8.28, 8.08, 8.03.

Saturday should have been 4 miles LSR but passed on it in place of a 5km race on Sunday

Sunday - Alanna Russell Memorial 5k Run.

Travelled up to Navan for this one. A bit far to go for a 5k but this one was close to my heart so wanted to make the journey. After all the slow runs lately I wanted to see how my legs felt when I increased the speed.

It was a lovely sunny morning which meant it was hot! Loved the route, flat throughout. I was delighted with my pace for the first three km and hoped I could maintain it for the whole of the run but I slowed for the last 2 km. No excuses, just couldn't keep the pace. Hoped to finish in under 32 minutes so happy with the chip time of 31 min 44 seconds.

Splits: 6.09, 6.01, 6.17, 6.34, 6.29.

Although my time does not reflect it I do feel that the slower training runs helped with this race. My legs felt stronger and I was not wrecked at the finish line as normal! Could I have pushed harder? Maybe but I did what I could on the day. :)

gypsylee that is great going well done and it says a lot that you felt so good after it that is a great sign and there is more to come for sure :)

Another month flying by so time to check in those miles :)

The HH Novice 2 Half Plan is going well. Lots of slow miles and nothing too taxing so far.

Week 2

Monday 8th - Just noticed on Strava that I did not run on this day and I have no idea why!

Wednesday 10th - 3 miles at 10k race pace. Average pace 6.22 km. Just felt like running a bit quicker than "easy".

Thursday 11th - 4 miles easy. Average pace 7.26 km. Still too quick for easy pace.

Saturday 13th - 5 miles easy. Average pace 7.51 km. Had a lie in so had to get out in the evening for this one. It was a lovely evening and this was one of the runs where I remembered why I love running. Just a real "feel good" run.

Week 3

Monday 15th - 3 miles easy. Average pace 7.59 km.

Wednesday 17th - 4 miles easy. Average pace 6.44 km. Much too quick for an "easy" run. It lashed on me half way through and it was lovely. I love running in the rain. Really enjoyed this one.

Thursday 18th - 3 miles easy. Average pace 8.17 km. At last the correct pace for easy! Enjoyed this one.

Sunday 21st - KBC Race Series 10k Run.

Splits: 6.22, 6.26, 6.16, 6.10, 6.35, 6.52, 6.38, 7.15, 7.09, 7.24.

I really wanted to get under 65 minutes for this and was so confident that I would. Was happy with the pace until half way when I just felt the energy going. No excuses, I just didn't have it in me to go any quicker. The canal stretch seemed to go on forever. Disappointed with the time but going to forget about it and focus on following the plan for the next few weeks. Hopefully the 10 mile in August will have a better result.

Week 4

Back to the plan.

Monday 22nd - 3 miles easy on the lovely Curragh grass. Average pace 7.45 km. I never ran this far on grass before and I really enjoyed it. There was a lovely breeze and only the sheep for company.

Happy with the HH Plan so far. Love ticking off the runs each week. Doing my stretching and using the form roller after each run so fingers crossed there will be no injury issues. Getting used to the slower pace which hopefully will stand to me on the 21st of September.

And just like that August is here!

The warm weather has made even the easy runs seem a wee bit tougher but it is lovely to feel the sun on your skin at times.

Wednesday 24th - 4 miles at Half pace. Managed to get this one spot on with an average pace of 7.18 km. It lashed the whole way around and as I love running in the rain this was very welcome.

Thursday 25th - 3 miles easy. Average pace 8.05 km. Just a nice easy run on a lovely Summer's evening.

Saturday 27th - 7 miles LSR. Average pace 8.18 km so still a tad quick for LSR pace. I really enjoyed this run, early Summer morning, no one on the roads only myself and some sheep and horses. One of those runs where it clicks why I love running. Perfect :)

Monday 29th - 3 miles easy. Average pace 7.52 km. Just another run of the mill Monday run.

Wednesday 31st - 4 miles Half pace (should have been 7.15 km). Average pace 6.44 km. I had to work today so it was after 7 before I got out this evening for this one. It was very warm and I just ran by feel. My legs wanted to run a bit quicker so I just went with it. Loved it.

Thursday 1st August - 3 miles easy. Average pace 7.49 km. A zig zag around the Curragh to get this one done. Was very warm but another enjoyable run.

Happy with the way the Half plan is going. I will be running the Frank Duffy 10 Mile this month as well as a local 5 mile run on the following Saturday evening. Hoping to have a good run in the Phoenix Park to give me an indication as to how the Half might pan out. For now I am just enjoying the runs. I feel the slower pace is definitely helping me.

Well done gypsylee I will see you at the 10 miler I am doing that as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I assume that’s the Hal Higdon plan your following ? I love Hal - he’s a legend . I follow him on Facebook and he always has great tips and hints ! You won’t go wrong with Hal !

Think a lot of folk doing the ten miler - I’m glad not in swords - hated that route last year!

I love having a plan to follow. Knowing I have to get out for a run keeps me focused.

Saturday 3rd August - 8 miles LSR. Average pace 8.13 km. Longest run I have done since the Half in March.

Really enjoyed this run. Stopped at 8km mark to try a shot blok. First time trying them. Didn't really need an energy boost for 8 miles but wanted to see how my stomach reacted. Was grand, no ill effects.

Monday 5th August - 3 miles easy. Average pace 7.56 km. Had a niggle under my foot so stayed close to home for this in case I had to abandon. A few laps of the GAA pitch. Was very warm.

Wednesday 7th August - 4 miles at Half pace. Average pace 6.40 km. My Half pace will be 7/7.05 so this was a tad quicker. Loved the quicker pace for a change but it was muggy!

Thursday 8th August - 3 miles easy. Average pace 7.28 km. Couldn't slow down for this one, should have been 8.10 pace.

Saturday 10th August - 9 miles LSR. Average pace 7.46 km (should have been 8.20 km!) It was misty, it was windy and it was very enjoyable! Should have been slower but couldn't get the pace right. Starting to be a regular thing! Delighted to get this distance done. Took a shot blok at 8.5 km and I did feel more energised for the last couple of kms. (That could all be in my head though!).

Sunday 11th August - Just a 3km walk as my legs were a bit restless.

I am happy with how the training is going. As this will be my fifth Half maybe such a long plan is not necessary but I am loving feeling stronger with each run and hopefully things will go my way in the Phoenix Park in September.

• Advertisement

The last couple of weeks have just been "bread and butter" runs. Tomorrow is the true test to see if my Half training is paying off. FD 10 miles. I feel surprisingly nervous about this one. I think it is because I really want to get my pacing right, I blow up halfway through any race longer than a 5km. Have it all planned in my head, just need to stick to it tomorrow. I love running in the PP so that will help hopefully. The hills might be an issue though.

Monday 12th August - 3 miles easy. Can't remember this one, it must have gone well.

Wednesday 14th August - 5 miles. Should have been at Half pace (7.10 per km) but it was a bit quicker. One of those runs which just felt right.

Friday 16th August - 6 miles LSR. Step back week due to FD this week. Had to do it on a Friday evening after work as I was way in Sligo for the weekend. Average split 7.41 km. This was way too quick for an LSR but the legs felt good so I went with it. It was very hot. Lovely run.

Monday 19th August - Physio. Just to get a bit of tlc on tight calves and my glute. Ouch!

Tuesday 20th August - 3 miles. Average pace 7.30 km. Between the showers.

Wednesday 21st August - 5 miles. Average pace 7.18 km. It was very wet and windy and very enjoyable. The first 5km were damp but then the heavens opened and it lashed! It made me run quicker to get home. Soaked through but I prefer those conditions instead of the sun any day!

And so tomorrow beckons.....

Advertisement