Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I really do this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done, you sure smashed your target.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Haven't posted all week. Was a bit off form due to some bad news during the week.

Only got a couple of short runs in midweek but I knew I needed to get a long one in on Sunday. Mentally as well as as physically.

Sunday morning was lovely weather wise for a run.

Changed my route a bit and enjoyed the change of scenery.

Distance: 10.3km. Duration: 1.22.

Splits: 7.17, 7.59, 8.07, 8.15, 7.56, 7.47, 8.05, 8.00, 8.01, 8.02, 7.42.

Have signed up for a local 12km on the 10th of December. Not really looking forward to this one because I am familiar with the route and I don't like it. Will start with a positive attitude though and hope to finish it in a respectable time. Longest run I will have done so far.

Had a day off work on Monday so got out for a mid morning run.

Usual 5 km route, thought I was struggling a bit so was delighted when I checked Strava and I had done the 5 km in 31.20 minutes. A PB for the 5 km!! Was delighted with that.

Distance: 5 km, Duration 31.20.

Splits: 5.58, 5.58, 6.39, 6.20, 6.26.

Have decided not to do the 12km run planned for Saturday, I am going to drop back to the 6 km run instead. Not feeling mentally able for the longer run at the minute, that coupled with the fact that I don't like the route made my mind up. Looking forward to the 6 km run though and hoping to do it in 38 minutes.

Did the 6km Christmas run on Saturday. It was a local run so I was familiar with the route.

Was hoping to do it in 38 minutes. My official time is 36 mins 36 seconds so very happy with that.

Weather conditions were great for it.

Distance: 6 km, duration 36.36

Splits: 6.00, 5.58, 6.03, 6.04, 6.12, 6.19.

Looking forward to 2017 and training for the half marathon in June. Will continue to do some 5km and 10km races too as I want to improve my times in both events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

gypsylee wrote: »
    Was hoping to do it in 38 minutes. My official time is 36 mins 36 seconds so very happy with that.

You're on a roll well done :)

• Advertisement

Got out for a few runs in the past three weeks since I last posted.

18th December. 5.8 km. Time 38.30.

Sunday afternoon, weather was lovely, really enjoyed this run.

28th December. 4.4 km. Time 30.55.

First run since Christmas, wanted to burn off some of the excess food and drink.

Saturday 31st December. 6.1 km. Time 41.30.

Slow enough pace, just wanted to finish the year with a run.

Monday, 2nd January. 7 km. Time 43.00.

Splits: 4.17 (?), 6.05, 6.07, 6.22, 6.46, 6.26, 6.49.

Really enjoyed this run, weather was ideal, happy with distance and time.

I have signed up for the Charlie Curran Memorial Race 5km in Carlow on the 29th of January. Was going to do the 10km race but decided to aim for a PB in the 5 km instead. Really want to get a PB of 30 minutes or less.

Aiming to do a few 5km and a couple of 10km races between now and June. Going to start training for a half marathon on the 18th of June. That's the plan for the first half of the year and will see where to go from there after that.

Looking forward to a good year of running, hopefully will stay injury free. Thinking of starting a Pilates class next week. My core could do with strengthening so hopefully can improve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What half marathon are you planning on doing?

The Thoroughbred Run in Kildare Town. A local one for me so will know the route.

I have not been out for a run at all since the 2nd of January due to a bad cold which left me a bit under the weather. I did get a few walks in so all was not lost.

Had a day off work yesterday so was delighted to get a chance to run in the daylight. It was a wee bit tough, felt a bit like my first ever run but I got it done! Off work tomorrow as well so hoping to get another daytime run in with a bit of a better pace.

Distance: 5.5 km. Duration 36.20 mins.

Splits: 6.07, 6.22, 6.28, 6.47, 7.13, 6.26.

I have not been out for a run at all since the 2nd of January due to a bad cold which left me a bit under the weather. I did get a few walks in so all was not lost.

Had a day off work yesterday so was delighted to get a chance to run in the daylight. It was a wee bit tough, felt a bit like my first ever run but I got it done! Off work tomorrow as well so hoping to get another daytime run in with a bit of a better pace.

Distance: 5.5 km. Duration 36.20 mins.

Splits: 6.07, 6.22, 6.28, 6.47, 7.13, 6.26.
    Well done, that's a pretty good run after being unwell.

• Advertisement

Got out for a run yesterday morning. Weather was perfect for it. Feel like I am getting back into the routine of it. Splits were a bit slower than I would have liked but hoping to improve on this over the next few weeks.

Distance 6.4 km. Duration 43 minutes.

Splits: 6.22, 6.20, 6.48, 6.45, 7.05, 7.00, 6.17.

Got out for a run on Sunday morning with my sister who has just recently started running. It was strange to be talking whilst running with someone else as I have been a complete lone runner for the past year. She ran 3.1 kms with me, her furthest to date. I then ran another slow 5.1 km on my own. Strava was acting up so i have no I have no stats but reckon it was splits of 7.40 or so going by the time it took.

The weather was beautiful yesterday so got out for a quick walk of 3.3 km during my lunch break. Felt good to be doing some sort of exercise. Trying to improve my core strength so did some exercises at home last night.

I ran the Charlie Curran 5km race in Carlow yesterday. I really wanted to get a PB and finish in under 30 minutes. Just missed out on that as my official time is 30.02!! Raging not to see a 29. I stuck with the 30 minute pacer the whole way and just ran out of steam in the final 700 metres, just couldn't give any more. Knocked almost two minutes off my best 5km race time so happy with that. I will see that 29 on my next 5km race at the end of March!

It was a cold wet morning for it but great atmosphere and a super medal!

Started Strava way too early and forgot to stop it after so time is off but splits should be accurate.

Time: 30.46. Distance: 5.1 km.

Splits: 5.52, 5.54, 5.54, 5.59, 6.10.

Didn't do as much running in January as I should have so going to knuckle down for February and get lots of miles in the legs.

I ran the Charlie Curran 5km race in Carlow yesterday. I really wanted to get a PB and finish in under 30 minutes. Just missed out on that as my official time is 30.02!! Raging not to see a 29. I stuck with the 30 minute pacer the whole way and just ran out of steam in the final 700 metres, just couldn't give any more. Knocked almost two minutes off my best 5km race time so happy with that. I will see that 29 on my next 5km race at the end of March!

It was a cold wet morning for it but great atmosphere and a super medal!

Started Strava way too early and forgot to stop it after so time is off but splits should be accurate.

Time: 30.46. Distance: 5.1 km.

Splits: 5.52, 5.54, 5.54, 5.59, 6.10.

Didn't do as much running in January as I should have so going to knuckle down for February and get lots of miles in the legs.

Brilliant PB especially considering you haven't been training much in Jan. Sub 30 will be no bother to you next time.

ariana` wrote: »
    Brilliant PB especially considering you haven't been training much in Jan. Sub 30 will be no bother to you next time.

Thanks Ariana. I'm heading in the right direction anyway!

Got out for a short slow run last night as my legs were feeling a bit tight after Sunday's run.

My son came with me to keep me company. He has always stated that he hates running but maybe with a bit of encouragement he might catch the bug too!

Duration: 22.30. Distance: 3 km.

Splits: 7.22, 7.38, 7.30.

My son came with me to keep me company. He has always stated that he hates running but maybe with a bit of encouragement he might catch the bug too!

How old is he? My 6 year old comes with me on his bike sometimes :)

ariana` wrote: »
    How old is he? My 6 year old comes with me on his bike sometimes :)

He's actually 22! He is very fit. Does a lot of cycling and weights etc. I think he could be a good runner if he put his mind to it.

I am determined to get out for a run four times a week in February. Really need to get focused before I start the half marathon plan.

Hate running in the wind and last night was very windy. Glad I went though and felt good after it.

Duration 37.50. Distance 5.5 km.

Splits: 6.34, 7.02, 6.55, 6.55, 6.58, 7.05 (0.5).

Friday 3rd February

A short run this evening before dinner just so I could say I did some running!

Distance: 3 km. Duration: 19.10

Splits: 6.15, 6.17, 6.08.

Nothing too strenuous but felt the better for it.

Sunday 5th February

My longest LSR to date. I really need to increase the distance each week so that I can follow the Half Marathon training plan properly from March. Weather was cold but calm so ideal for the run. Really enjoyed this.

Distance: 12 km. Duration: 1 hour 35 minutes.

Splits: 7.27, 8.05, 8.06, 8.18, 8.07, 8.03, 7.32, 8.08, 8.08, 7.42, 7.53, 7.55.

• Advertisement

Nothing major to report on the running front. Got out for a few 6km runs but no LSR in two weeks as too much partying instead! Will be getting out for one on Sunday without fail.

No school runs this week so used the extra time this morning before work to get out for a run. I have forgotten how good it feels to run in the early morning.

Distance: 5.2 km. Duration 33.30.

Splits: 6.11, 6.25, 6.30, 6.24, 6.35, 6.34 (0.2).

Really struggling to improve my times. Will do the same route a couple more times this week and hopefully will see a slight improvement in the time.

Another early morning run this morning. Was very wet and windy though. A bit shorter than I had intended but glad to have done anything at all!

Distance: 4.5 km, Duration: 29.25.

Splits: 6.11, 6.17, 6.50, 6.46, 6.36 (0.5).

I love getting out to run early on the weekdays. Only for this week though. Roll on the Summer months when there is are no school runs!

I didn't get out for my early morning run today. Decided to go at lunchtime in work instead.

First time to run in the town where I work. It was nice to have a change of scene. I chose a loop but had no idea how far it was. Very enjoyable. I'm full of energy for the afternoon now!

Distance: 4.6 km. Duration: 29.05.

Splits: 5.50, 6.21 6.18, 6.15, 6.34 (0.4).

Happy with those splits and delighted to see a 5 even if it is only one! I'm on my own in work today which swayed my decision to run at lunchtime cos there is no one here to see my beetroot face!

Sunday 26th February.

I hate running in the wind but avoiding it would mean I would miss a lot of running days so I braved the elements this morning.

LSR of 13 km, longest run to date. Strava did not pick up the GPS until I had nearly five km done but my pace felt consistent the whole way. Delighted to have done the run in dreadful conditions.

Time: 1.30 approx. Distance 13 km.

Splits from 5 km or so:

7.12, 7.57, 7.39, 7.48, 7.33, 8.02, 7.54, 7.58, 7.50 (0.5).

Delighted to have got four runs in last week, hope to do the same this week.

Well done on your longest run, and for getting out in that weather yesterday, it certainly wasn't running weather!

Tuesday 28th February

I did not realise it was so windy until I was going over the motorway bridge and it hit me! Happy with the time despite the wind!

Time: 28.25. Distance: 4.6 km

Splits: 5.46, 6.07, 6.31, 6.17, 6.15 (0.6)

Thursday 2nd March

This was a major struggle this morning. Started off well but after about one kilometre my legs turned to jelly. They did not want to move. I had to walk a bit during the last kilometre which I have never had to do before but I was struggling. Was surprised when I checked the splits after because it felt much slower. Anyway another 5 km in the bag but I would not like to have many more mornings feeling like this one did.

Time: 33.20, Distance: 5 km.

Splits: 5.46, 6.07, 6.34, 6.59, 7.32 (walking!).

Sunday 5th March

LSR this morning. Weather was lovely starting off then about half way through the rain started and I got soaked. Was determined to run 14 km though so stuck it out. Felt good after it. I have noticed that my breathing has improved a lot the last few weeks which is a good thing. I must be getting fitter!

Time: 1.47. Distance: 14 km.

Splits: 7.07, 7.35, 7.53, 7.41, 7.45, 7.44, 8.00, 7.47, 7.53, 7.51, 7.48, 7.18, 7.22, 7.35.

Longest run to date, feeling good about starting the half marathon plan at the end of the month.

Wednesday 8th March

Just a short run this evening before dinner. Happy with the splits.

Time: 18.23. Distance: 3 km.

Splits: 5.45, 6.07, 6.09.

Saturday 11th March

I decided to pass on the LSR this weekend and do two shorter runs instead.

Time: 36.45. Distance: 5.7 km.

Splits: 5.52, 5.57, 6.26, 6.42, 6.57, 6.34.

Was delighted to see a couple of 5 min splits.

Sunday 12th March

My sister started running a while ago and as she has never run a 5 km distance before I offered to go with her (me being such a serious runner lol!!). She was delighted with the distance.

Time: 34 mins. Distance: 5.3 km.

Splits: 6.17, 6.16, 6.26, 6.33, 6.29, 6.34.

Have a 5 km run on the 26th of March and then the countdown to the half marathon begins. Getting nervous about it already!

Wednesday 15th March

Time 31.50. Duration: 5 km.

Splits: 6.04, 6.04, 6.34, 6.24, 6.38.

Uneventful run, happy with the time.

Friday 17th March

Time 56.30. Duration 8.6 km.

Splits: 6.18, 6.21, 6.20, 6.26, 6.22, 6.40, 6.47, 6.48, 6.49.

It was very windy for this run, wanted to do a bit more than usual and the times were a bit quicker than they felt.

Happy with this one.

Had hoped to get out yesterday for a run but other events took over. Will get out tonight instead.

Wine on the Line 5 km next Sunday, would love to get under 30 minutes but not too hopeful at the minute.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 21st March

Tried to run this one fast this evening cos I really wanted to see some 5 minute splits.

Time: 30.45. Distance 5 km.

Splits: 5.52, 5.39, 6.35, 5.59, 6.34.

Happy with this one. Not running now until the 5 km race on Sunday. Doubtful I will get under 30 minutes but will give it my best shot!.

Advertisement