Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I really do this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Thursday 24th August

Sarah O'Donoghue Memorial 5 km Run.

This run was at 6.30 p.m. and was my first evening time race. Weather was perfect for it. It was a 2.5 km out and back.

I decided to give it my all and see how I got on, hoping not to die in the last km. Strava did not work for me but my official chip time is 29.17. My second fastest 5 km run. Was delighted to get under 30 minutes. Great event, lovely food and beautiful bling.

Sunday 27th August

Round Towers GAA Club Kildare 5 km run for St. John's Ward.

This was the event that my sister wanted to run as her first 5 km. As I had done the training runs with her I decided to run with her to encourage her (although she called it nagging!!). We had done the route a few times and our best time was 46 minutes. We were delighted to finish in 43.33. I had hoped to get it done in 45 minutes so was happy with this time. Another lovely medal for the collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done for your sub 30 - that's a great time.
    Also well done to your sister, fab time for her first 5km!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

gypsylee wrote: »
    Thursday 24th August

Sarah O'Donoghue Memorial 5 km Run.

This run was at 6.30 p.m. and was my first evening time race. Weather was perfect for it. It was a 2.5 km out and back.

I decided to give it my all and see how I got on, hoping not to die in the last km. Strava did not work for me but my official chip time is 29.17. My second fastest 5 km run. Was delighted to get under 30 minutes. Great event, lovely food and beautiful bling.

Sunday 27th August

Round Towers GAA Club Kildare 5 km run for St. John's Ward.

This was the event that my sister wanted to run as her first 5 km. As I had done the training runs with her I decided to run with her to encourage her (although she called it nagging!!). We had done the route a few times and our best time was 46 minutes. We were delighted to finish in 43.33. I had hoped to get it done in 45 minutes so was happy with this time. Another lovely medal for the collection.
    Congrats to both you and your sister on your shiny new PBs. Super work :)

Back posting after a couple of weeks.

I was on a Mediterranean cruise for a week and what a week it was. Ate and drank everything in sight. I did manage to get three early morning runs on the running track on the top deck of the ship. That was a lovely experience as the scenery as we came into a different port each morning was fabulous.

Anyway I hope to get back on track this week with my running. I did get a few runs in and the details are below:

Tuesday 29th August

I am encouraging my daughter to do a bit of running. Unfortunately she struggles with her breathing each time she runs due to asthma. Is on medication daily and has no issues at the moment apart from when she runs. I am hoping as her fitness levels increase her breathing will get better. This was a run with her.

Time: 40.15. Distance: 5.3 km

Splits: 7.13, 7.30, 7.53, 7.41, 7.31, 6.53 (0.3)

Saturday 2nd September

Really enjoyed this run. Lovely morning for it.

Time: 1.07.50. Distance: 10 km.

Splits: 6.44, 6.30, 6.25, 6.44, 6.41, 6.57, 6.56, 7.20, 6.52.

Saturday 16th September - Dara Fitzpatrick 5 km Memorial Run

Having got home late on Friday night from my holiday I set out at 7.00 a.m. to drive to Waterford Airport for this run. Ran it with my daughter who was hoping to get under 40 minutes and she did. Our chip time was 39.14! I was delighted for her as she struggled in the head wind with her breathing.

Time: 39.14 (chip) Distance: 5 km

Splits: 7.33, 7.54, 8.40, 7.11, 7.34.

The plan for this week is an early morning run tomorrow and one on Thursday and a LSR at the weekend.

I have signed up for the Gingerbread Run 10km in November. I am toying with the idea of changing to the Half Marathon on that day in the hope that I can improve on my time in the Rock & Roll Half. Will see how the training goes and decide in a few weeks.

Tuesday 19th September

Was looking forward to getting back at it after weeks of not doing very much training. Enjoyed this one.

Time: 33.30. Distance: 5.4 km.

Splits: 6.06, 6.05, 6.11, 6.17, 6.18, 6.06 (0.4)

Friday 22nd September

Got out for this run straight after work. It was very warm.

Time: 29.30. Distance: 4.9 km (stopped too soon!)

Splits: 5.52, 5.51, 5.58, 6.08, 6.05.

Sunday 24th September - Naas Town 10km Run

I only decided on Saturday to run this one as I had intended doing an LSR of 10 km on Sunday so might as well do it for a charity run and get some bling!

I ran it as a LSR but of course I set out too quick, got very warm by 5 km and it was a run/walk for the rest of the course. The route was grand but I was disappointed at the finish as there was no goody bags left and more importantly no water left for us slower runners. Other than that it was a great event.

Time: 1.07.32 Distance: 10.2 km

Splits: 5.55, 6.10, 6.16, 6.36, 6.32, 7.03, 6.50, 6.57, 6.55, 7.04, 6.21 (0.2).

I am going to start a Half Marathon plan this week and see how that pans out over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done on the 10KM that is great running the walking did not slow you down too much at all :)

Plus I hate when there is not enough left for everyone at the end of a race :mad:

good luck starting the Half Marathon plan have to picked one out yet

Thanks Baby75. I did my first Half at the Rock & Roll in August. I was disappointed with the time, had a mental block half way through and finished in 2 hour 44 minutes. I really want to improve on that time, get down near 2.30 so hoping the cooler weather of November at The Gingerbread Run might help. I have registered for the 10km but thinking of changing to the Half Marathon. Will decide in a few weeks.

Thanks Baby75. I did my first Half at the Rock & Roll in August. I was disappointed with the time, had a mental block half way through and finished in 2 hour 44 minutes. I really want to improve on that time, get down near 2.30 so hoping the cooler weather of November at The Gingerbread Run might help. I have registered for the 10km but thinking of changing to the Half Marathon. Will decide in a few weeks.

2 hours 44 not bad for your first you will have no problem improving on that time, I am registered for the gingerbread half :) if you are thinking about changing get in touch with them, they updated a week ago I think they are processing any request like that now, my friend registered for the 10 and is changing to the half she is still waiting to hear back from them.

There is also a half in Waterford on the 2nd of December ;)

I might see you at the gingerbread run, I am hoping I will be recovered enough after DCM but I won't be chasing a PB I am just going to enjoy it

Tuesday 19th September

Was looking forward to getting back at it after weeks of not doing very much training. Enjoyed this one.

Time: 33.30. Distance: 5.4 km.

Splits: 6.06, 6.05, 6.11, 6.17, 6.18, 6.06 (0.4)

Friday 22nd September

Got out for this run straight after work. It was very warm.

Time: 29.30. Distance: 4.9 km (stopped too soon!)

Splits: 5.52, 5.51, 5.58, 6.08, 6.05.

Sunday 24th September - Naas Town 10km Run

I only decided on Saturday to run this one as I had intended doing an LSR of 10 km on Sunday so might as well do it for a charity run and get some bling!

I ran it as a LSR but of course I set out too quick, got very warm by 5 km and it was a run/walk for the rest of the course. The route was grand but I was disappointed at the finish as there was no goody bags left and more importantly no water left for us slower runners. Other than that it was a great event.

Time: 1.07.32 Distance: 10.2 km

Splits: 5.55, 6.10, 6.16, 6.36, 6.32, 7.03, 6.50, 6.57, 6.55, 7.04, 6.21 (0.2).

I am going to start a Half Marathon plan this week and see how that pans out over the next few weeks.

That would annoy me too :rolleyes: But well done on a good run. Yesterday was very warm.

This year has been a tough one for me with my father being so ill early in the year and then his death in June. Between all that and holidays etc. October is the first month this year which will be a "normal" month. With that in mind I hope to make it a good month in terms of healthy eating, no alcohol and I have set myself a challenge of running every day this month (although they may be quite a few short runs!). Will give it a good try anyway.

Thursday 28th September

Time: 41.50. Distance: 6.5 km.

Splits: 6.29, 6.29, 6.22, 6.18, 6.34, 6.25, 6.28 (0.5).

Dressed for the wind and rain for this run, rain stopped as soon as I started so I was too warm with the jacket. Very windy run though but enjoyable.

Sunday 1st October

Did my LSR this morning and this was the first day of the October challenge.

Having had a couple of glasses of wine on Saturday night I found this run a struggle. Did not enjoy it but got it done. Was the longest distance I have done in a while. Had to walk a bit towards the end.

Time: 1.26.20 Distance: 12 km

Splits: 6.30, 6.52, 6.47, 7.02, 7.00, 6.56, 7.06, 7.20, 7.42, 7.14, 7.12, 8.40.

Tuesday 2nd October - Day 2

Got out for a short loop of 3 km. I had forgotten how much I enjoy running in the dark with the weather a bit cooler.
    Really enjoyed this short run. Was tempted to go further but as I am going to be running every day I did not want to push myself too much this early in the month.

Time: 19.55 Distance: 3 km.

Splits: 6.34, 6.31, 6.20.

I have no organised runs this month so going to concentrate on building up my fitness level a little bit. I am running a 10 km run in Clane on the 4th of November and would love to get a PB (currently 1.04.50 for a 10 km).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Running every day for a month is an impressive challenge! Sounds like it should have you in a great position to tackle the 10k in November too. Good luck with it!

Good luck with the challenge gypsylee. Your dad would be so proud of your running x

October Challenge

Day 3 - Tuesday 3rd October

It was a lovely evening and still a bit bright when I got out for this run so I was able to run on my favourite country road which is unlit so my evening runs on it from now on will be limited.

Distance: 5 km. Time: 32.20.

Splits: 6.23, 6.20, 6.22, 6.18, 6.28.

Day 4 - Wednesday 4th October

It was very windy so happy enough with the time. Took it easy.

Distance: 3 km. Time: 19.40.

Splits: 6.29, 6.26, 6.29.

Day 5 - Thursday 5th October

It was dark when I set out but it was a perfect evening, beautiful full moon. Really enjoyed this run.

Distance: 5 km. Time: 32.40.

Splits: 6.54, 6.10, 6.48, 6.35, 6.02.

Day 6 - Friday 6th October

It was late and my legs felt tired so it was just a case of getting this run done.

Distance: 3 km. Time: 18.50.

Splits: 6.12, 6.16, 6.25.

Day 7 - Saturday 7th October

Another short run as I wanted to do a longer one on Sunday. Love running in the afternoon. Very warm.

Distance: 3 km. Time: 18.10.

Splits: 6.05, 6.06, 5.52.

Day 8 - Sunday 8th October

Ran this one as a slow run. I had hoped to do 12 km but after running every day this week 9 was all I could manage. I wanted to run each km at a 7 minute pace but I set out too quick. It is so hard to slow down sometimes.

My ideal running weather conditions, drizzle, calm, not too warm. Enjoyed this run.

Distance: 9.1 km. Time: 1.02.30.

Splits: 6.22, 6.42, 6.32, 7.02, 7.04, 6.53, 6.56, 7.00, 7.12, 6.59.

The October challenge is going well. Legs were a bit tired towards the end of the week even though each run is quite short. I am foam rolling to prevent any niggles. I hope to keep it up til the end of the month.

October Challenge

The challenge is going well, getting out every day, if just for short slow runs. Felt tired earlier in the week but feeling better about the runs now.

Day 9 - 3 km - 18.40 minutes.

Day 10 - 3.1 km - 25.30 minutes (ran with daughter)

Day 11 - 3.2 km - 20.30 minutes.

Day 12 - 6.5 km - 44 minutes.

Day 13 - 2.1 km - 12.50 minutes (very late wet run just to keep the streak!)

Day 14 - 3.1 km - 18.30 minutes

Day 15 - 10 km - 1.11.40 - Sunday LSR

Day 16 - 3 km - 19.50 minutes.

Half way through the month and happy to be able to get out every day. Looking forward to a couple of rest days at the start of November though before a 10 km race on the 4th of November.

Still plodding along with the daily runs in October. I missed last Thursday (Day 19) had a few things on and could not even find fifteen minutes in the day to get out. I also missed Saturday due to Storm Brian (Day 21). Two days out of twenty three is not too bad and I hope to get out every day for the final week. Feeling fitter even though they are mostly short runs.

Day 17 - 3.1 km. 25.40 minutes. A nice run with my daughter.

Day 18 - 3.6 km. 22.25 minutes.

Day 20 - 5 km. 30.45 minutes. Lovely early morning run.

Day 22 - 10.3 km. 1 hr 10.23. Sunday morning LSR.

Day 23 - 4 km. 24.35 minutes. A short fast (for me) run. Love seeing 5.56 minutes splits.

And October is over! I missed four days of my October challenge of running every day which was not too bad. Should have got out for a run on Monday but I was just too tired. Finished the month last night with a 3 km run with my daughter.

Day 24 - 3.1 km. 25.40 minutes. Run with my daughter

Day 25 - 3 km. 19 minutes.

Day 27 - 5 km. 31.30 minutes. Nice early morning run just as the Sun was rising.

Day 28 - 5.7 km. 34.30 minutes. Saturday afternoon run. Very warm. Happy with splits.

Day 29 - 5.5 km. 33.50 minutes. Inspired to get out for this after spending the morning watching the live stream of DCM! Tried to run at 10km pace but was a bit quick.

Day 31 - 3.1 km. 25.30 minutes. Run with my daughter.

So I ran 27 days out of 31, albeit a long of slow runs. 130 kms. No alcohol consumed in October as per Sober October and 4.5 lbs lost! A good month all round.

Focus now is the 10km run in Clane on Saturday. I would love to get a PB at this. PB for 10 km is currently 1.04.41 so to see 1.03.?? would be wonderful. Fingers crossed.

After that is the Gingerbread Run on the 19th. Doing the 10km run. A lovely route for this one.

That's good going! Best of luck on Saturday, the frequent runs throughout October will certainly help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck on Saturday!

Good Luck on Saturday and most of all enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

Baby75 wrote: »
    Good Luck on Saturday and most of all enjoy it :)

Good luck on sat!!

• Advertisement

Good luck for the 10k. And well done on running 27 days in October, that is great going.

Saturday 4th November - Clane 10 km Run

PB Alert - Chip Time: 1.01.57. A PB of just under three minutes. Thrilled to bits.

Strava Stats: Time: 1.01.53 Distance: 10.1 km.

Splits: 6.03, 5.55, 6.03, 6.16, 6.11, 5.59, 6.09, 6.24, 6.04, 5.52, 5.50 (0.1).

I started with the intention of 6.20 splits with the hope of pushing on in the last three km if I had some energy left.

The weather was perfect, blue sky, wee bit nippy which I love and no wind (even better!). Started too quick as per usual but it felt fine. I usually have a bit of a mental wobble during a 10km around the 7 km mark where I stop, blow my nose, start walking etc. but I was determined to run the whole race. I ran my best run ever mentally, cleared my mind of all thoughts, focused on my breathing and just getting from one kilometre to the next. It was a lovely route, two hills, one at 2 km and one around 8 but relatively flat otherwise. Quiet country roads. I loved the route.

I could not have asked for a better run, I pushed hard to get under the 1.04 time and it paid off. Maybe a sub-60 will be possible next year but happy with my time for now.

Next up is The Gingerbread Run on the 19th. Putting no pressure on myself for that run, just going to enjoy it.

Saturday 4th November - Clane 10 km Run

PB Alert - Chip Time: 1.01.57. A PB of just under three minutes. Thrilled to bits.

Strava Stats: Time: 1.01.53 Distance: 10.1 km.

Splits: 6.03, 5.55, 6.03, 6.16, 6.11, 5.59, 6.09, 6.24, 6.04, 5.52, 5.50 (0.1).

I started with the intention of 6.20 splits with the hope of pushing on in the last three km if I had some energy left.

The weather was perfect, blue sky, wee bit nippy which I love and no wind (even better!). Started too quick as per usual but it felt fine. I usually have a bit of a mental wobble during a 10km around the 7 km mark where I stop, blow my nose, start walking etc. but I was determined to run the whole race. I ran my best run ever mentally, cleared my mind of all thoughts, focused on my breathing and just getting from one kilometre to the next. It was a lovely route, two hills, one at 2 km and one around 8 but relatively flat otherwise. Quiet country roads. I loved the route.

I could not have asked for a better run, I pushed hard to get under the 1.04 time and it paid off. Maybe a sub-60 will be possible next year but happy with my time for now.

Next up is The Gingerbread Run on the 19th. Putting no pressure on myself for that run, just going to enjoy it.

Well done. Super PB and lovely even splits with a fast last km & a bit, great to be able to push at the end, well paced.

To try to combat that wobble at 7km, i always count up in KMs until half-way and then i start to count down, so at 7km i think of it as only 3km left. Again, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the very big PB, all that October running really stood to you. I'm doing the 10k Gingerbread too, hope to meet you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Lovely strong closing splits - very well done!

gypsylee Whoo hoo well done on the PB those are some great splits and you had it in you to increase the pace again towards the end excellent :)

Good luck at the Gingerbread run I will be there as well but I am doing the half I aim to just enjoy it

Fantastic running! Congrats on the substantial PB and to finish so strongly shows how well you ran.

Wow that's a fantastic run gypsylee! Many congrats on the pb! Judging by those splits you had a great race with no bother to you. I smell a sub 60.....

Thanks so much everyone for the support. Its from reading all the posts and threads on here and getting loads of tips that has improved my times since I started running.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much everyone for the support. Its from reading all the posts and threads on here and getting loads of tips and lots of hard work that has improved my times since I started running.

Fixed your post.

Advertisement