Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I really do this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fantastic!! Well done on the PB, and a very impressive one too - 3 mins off is massive! No wonder you're thrilled with it, rightly so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Got out for three early morning runs this week. The weather was perfect for them. Going to try and continue the morning runs instead of evening ones for the Winter.

Tuesday 7th November

This was just a 3 km run but an enjoyable one.

Time: 18.20 mins. Distance: 3 km. Splits: 6.06, 5.55, 5.50.

Wednesday 8th November

Very cold frosty morning but I really enjoyed this run. Was good to run for the sheer enjoyment of it rather than it feeling like a chore. Winter running suits me so much better than the Summer!

Time: 30.15 mins. Distance: 5 km. Splits: 6.02, 5.48, 6.05, 6.04, 6.08.

Friday 10th November

Felt a bit tired this morning but was determined to get out as I wont get a chance to run over the weekend. Enjoyed it once I got going. I even ran up a local hill which I dread and usually walk up so a little achievement.

Time: 34.28 mins. Distance: 5.6 km. Splits: 5.57, 6.03, 6.08, 6.22, 6.17, 5.51 (0.6).

Gingerbread Run next weekend, local run on the 9th of December and I have signed up for the Raheny 5 mile at the end of January. That should keep me focused over Christmas.

I have decided to do the Great Limerick Half Marathon Run on the May bank holiday Sunday. That is my goal run throughout Spring. Great to have goals set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck at the Gingerbread 10k on Sunday J. Another PB is definitely on the cards. Grit it out till the end if the going gets tough.
    Looking forward to the race report as i will not be at the race. Changed to a more local 10k on Saturday instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck on Sunday, Gypsylee :)

Good luck at Gingerbread! Best race name ever :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the support. Wont be a PB run, plan on taking it handy and enjoying it. Hope to be under 65 minutes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Enjoy it gyspylee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Enjoy it :) I am hoping it is not as cold as today :eek: I think I will get 2 sets of clothes ready tomorrow depending on weather report LOL

Sunday 19th November - Gingerbread 10 km Run

PB Alert - Chip Time: 1.00.38, quicker by 1 min 19 secs than my PB two weeks ago. Absolutely thrilled with the time as I was not aiming for a PB. That sub 60 is nearly mine which is something I never thought I would be able to say. Strava gives me a 10 km time of 59.36 which is nice to see too.

It was a cold morning but nice and calm. Perfect running conditions. It was a bit congested at the start with the half marathon runners starting at the same time and on the same route for six kms. Felt really good throughout, just taking my time and enjoying the occasion. Slowed down a bit once or twice in case I wouldn't be able to run the distance as can be seen from the splits. Had my usual little wobble around 7/8 km but pushed through it. Knew I was on track for a sub 63 minute time and was happy with that so was thrilled to get the time I did. Delighted with the splits on Strava as I did not feel under too much pressure at any time. Guess I must be getting a bit fitter.

Details as per Strava:

Time: 1.00.55 Distance: 10.2 km.

Splits: 5.52, 5.53, 5.43, 5.48, 6.12, 5.47, 6.20, 5.55, 6.08, 6.04, 5.59 (0.2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Yeah, well done!!

Hard work is paying off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the PB, shows how much stronger you are getting. Sub 60 in no time for you.

Brilliant, well done, a PB when you weren't even going for one, that's impressive! Sub 60 next time no doubt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Fantastic running well done :) sub 60 here you come :) I enjoyed running together as well,it meant my friend who was running the 10k could stay with us for some of it and it was fun cheering the first of the 10k heading back in I found it took my mind off the hill we were running up as they were heading back in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done!

Amazing, well done! Congrats on the PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

Well done! Brilliant PB - u make it sound easy - sub 60 def next time!

Thanks everyone. Legs were a bit stiff yesterday but a nice slow 4km run this morning sorted them out.

Focus now is on Raheny 5 mile, hoping for under 50 minutes but as it's my first one it will be a PB!

gypsylee wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Legs were a bit stiff yesterday but a nice slow 4km run this morning sorted them out.

Focus now is on Raheny 5 mile, hoping for under 50 minutes but as it's my first one it will be a PB!

I love that feeling, it means you worked hard :)

Guaranteed PB is the business and it sounds like a goody bag to die for, win-win ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

That's fantastic gypsylee - well done - a lot of 5's on those splits, very impressive. A sub-60 is within reach now...

What a couple of weeks. Only got out for two Sunday morning runs. I could blame the weather, the dark mornings, having a cold but I wont. Truth is I just lost my mojo. Determined to get it back from now though.

Doing a local 6km tomorrow. Time for it last year was 36 mins 36 seconds so hoping for a PB but due to my lack of runs lately I will be happy to finish around the same time. Its a route I have ran many times so no surprises. I was supposed to do the 12km but that wont be happening!

Tuesday 21st November

Distance: 4 km. Time: 26.50.

Splits: 6.35, 6.41, 6.39, 6.29.

Just a short slow early morning run.

Sunday 26th November - LSR

Distance: 11.1 km. Time: 1.17.

Splits: 6.40, 6.35, 6.36, 6.53, 6.45, 6.53, 6.58, 7.11, 7.13, 7.15, 7.01.

Started off a bit quicker than I wanted so slowed right down for the last few kms. Lovely run but very cold starting out.

Sunday 3rd December

Splits: 6.21, 6.13, 6.06, 5.56, 6.12, 6.05, 6.22, 7.25, 5.52 (0.5)

Really needed to get out for this run having not got out all week. Was going to be a lsr but I decided to just go with what felt comfortable and enjoy the run. Ran on a road that I don't run on often with a few hills so it was nice for a change. Had a wee walk near the end cos I could not face another hill! Was a lovely morning for this run, nice and warm too.

No runs all week and feeling bad about that but such is life. Looking forward to the 6km tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I didn't do much running the last couple of weeks due to the frosty weather. This milder weather suits me much better so hope to get out more over the Christmas.

Saturday 9th December - 6ks of Christmas

This was my local run, have ran the route many times. It was bitterly cold. Not much sleep the night before so I ran it just to enjoy with no target time. Happy with time though I know if I had pushed myself I could have improved on it.

Time: 36.23 (chip time). Distance: 6.1 km.

Splits: 6.03, 5.39, 5.47, 6.01, 6.00, 6.06.

Saturday 16th December

Waited til the afternoon to get out for this one. Was an enjoyable run.

Time: 36.41. Distance: 6 km.

Splits: 5.54, 5.47, 6.04, 6.12, 6.14, 6.06.

Tuesday 18th December

It was a lovely morning (no frost!) so I was delighted to get out early for this run.

Time: 27.02. Distance: 4.3 km.

Splits: 6.12, 6.13, 6.20, 6.12, 6.20 (0.3).

I am looking forward to getting back into a routine of early morning mid-week runs weather permitting.

Roll on 2018!

Happy New Year everyone. Overall I am happy with my running in 2017, I ran a lot of races, got my sub 30 5km, nearly got a sub 60 10km (60.38) and managed to complete a half marathon (2.45 - disappointed with the time). According to Strava I ran over 850 km this year, should have been more but life got in the way! So what's next?

I will start following a half marathon plan in a few weeks and hopefully will complete one in April. Determined to improve on the time, a 2.30 would be lovely. The idea of signing up for the Dublin Marathon is niggling away at me, will see how I feel in a while. I am the big 5 0 in February so I feel it's kind of now or never. Anyway for January I am doing a local 5km run next Sunday (feeling a bit unfit after the Christmas excesses to attempt the 10km). Raheny 5 mile on the 28th of January is my focus for this month, I had never done it before so a PB will be got! I hope to run every day this month until the 25th of January when I will take two days rest before Raheny.

Monday, 1st January

Day 1 of 25 - 5.6 km. Time: 34.20 mins.

Splits: 6.02, 6.07, 6.23, 5.59, 6.07, 5.50.

I really enjoyed this run although it was extremely windy. A nice first run of the year.

Fingers crossed I say injury free, enjoy good health, improve my fitness and achieve my goals for 2018.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Happy New Year everyone. Overall I am happy with my running in 2017, I ran a lot of races, got my sub 30 5km, nearly got a sub 60 10km (60.38) and managed to complete a half marathon (2.45 - disappointed with the time). According to Strava I ran over 850 km this year, should have been more but life got in the way! So what's next?

I will start following a half marathon plan in a few weeks and hopefully will complete one in April. Determined to improve on the time, a 2.30 would be lovely. The idea of signing up for the Dublin Marathon is niggling away at me, will see how I feel in a while. I am the big 5 0 in February so I feel it's kind of now or never. Anyway for January I am doing a local 5km run next Sunday (feeling a bit unfit after the Christmas excesses to attempt the 10km). Raheny 5 mile on the 28th of January is my focus for this month, I had never done it before so a PB will be got! I hope to run every day this month until the 25th of January when I will take two days rest before Raheny.

Monday, 1st January

Day 1 of 25 - 5.6 km. Time: 34.20 mins.

Splits: 6.02, 6.07, 6.23, 5.59, 6.07, 5.50.

I really enjoyed this run although it was extremely windy. A nice first run of the year.

Fingers crossed I say injury free, enjoy good health, improve my fitness and achieve my goals for 2018.

Well done on 2017's achievements and best of luck with goals for the year ahead. I think your goals are very achievable. If you train for the 2hr 30min HM then the 10k will happen along the way. You already have the pace based on your 5k time, you just need to train for the endurance aspect. No bother to you i would say, looking forward to following you ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ariana.

The first week of the New Year went well running wise. Hoping to run 25 days in January. Focused now and ready to enjoy this year's running.

Wednesday 3rd January

Day 2 of 25. It was very windy, a tough run but enjoyable

Distance: 4.5 km. Time: 28.55

Splits: 6.22, 6.20, 6.22, 6.30, 6.29.

Thursday 4th January

Day 3 of 25. A run of two halves. Ran to my mother's house, had a quick visit and ran home. Lovely night for a run.

Distance: 5 km. Time: 31.40.

Splits: 6.05, 6.04, 6.31, 6.21, 6.18.

Saturday 6th January

Day 4 of 25. Bitterly cold.

Distance: 4km. Time: 25.05.

Splits: 6.03, 6.28, 6.04, 6.10.

Sunday 7th January - Sarah Swaine Memorial 5km Run

Day 5 of 25. Very cold, roads still icy in places at 1.00 p.m.

I ran/walked a little bit with my seven year old niece for her first 5 km. It was a lovely fun run with no looking at the time.

Distance: 5 km. Time: 40.21

Splits: 7.41, 8.46, 7.48, 8.21, 7.35.

Monday 8th January

This was a two part run, ran to my mother's house, stayed a wee while and ran home. Ran nice and easy. Cold but enjoyable.

Distance: 5.1km Time: 33.20

Splits: 6.29, 6.25, 6.29, 6.39, 6.30, 6.12.

Wednesday 10th January

I really wanted to get out for an early morning run and thoughts the roads looked ice free. They weren't! So this turned into a short icy walk around trying to stop myself from falling.

Distance: 3.5 km. Time: 27.00.

Splits: 6.55, 8.13, 7.50, 7.04 (0.5)

Friday 12th January

Got out early this morning for this one and no ice! Loved this run just before sunrise.

Distance: 5.3 km. Time: 34.35.

Splits: 6.12, 6.16, 6.41, 6.56, 6.36, 6.12 (0.3)

Sunday 14th January

I haven't got out for a LSR since November so I was determined to make some effort at one this morning.

I combined two shorter routes for this one. Wore my lovely new bluetooth headphones and the music helped. I was delighted to get this run done and really enjoyed it.

Distance: 12.6km. Time: 1.29.50

Splits: 6.46, 6.50, 7.01, 6.56, 6.59, 6.56, 7.06, 7.11, 8.43 (?), 6.43, 6.55, 7.15, 6.42.

I don't know why the pace is so slow at 9 km as I ran the same pace more or less throughout. Strange.

I have signed up for the Wexford Half Marathon on the 29th of April. Will start the Hal Higdon Novice 2 Plan on the 6th of February. Looking forward to following a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck tomorrow, Gypsy :)

I got out for a half LSR last Sunday. Weather was dreadful and I got soaked. Got a flu type dose on Wednesday and ended up in bed until Saturday. Felt better then so I ran the Raheny 5 Mile yesterday. Time was okay considering I felt lousy.

Sunday 21st January

This was a short LSR due to dreadful weather. 8 km but 6.9 logged due to Strava fail where I forgot to resume it after a phone call.

Distance: 6.9 km. Time: 47.00 mins.

Splits: 6.28, 6.26, 6.15, 7.14, 6.52, 7.05, 6.58.

Sunday 28th January - Raheny 5 Mile

I was apprehensive about doing this as I had been sick but I really wanted to do it. Decided I would be happy to run slowly and finish in 55 minutes or so. I slowed down for the last two kilometres as I was starting to feel drained. Happy that I did not walk any of it though.

It was a lovely route, really enjoyed it. St. Anne's Park is beautiful. I had never been in that part of Dublin before so I had not idea whether it would be a tough run or not. Huge crowd, great support along the route which was much appreciated and of course, the famous goody bag. Delighted to do it.

Distance: 8 km. Official chip time: 50.56. Happy with that but know I could have done better if I had been feeling 100%.

Splits: 6.09, 6.20, 6.25, 5.55, 6.13, 6.28, 6.48, 6.48.

That was my last official run in my forties ( I will be fifty mid-February). Happy to go into my fifties by starting the Half Marathon Plan. Looking forward to a good year's running, fingers crossed.

Congrats on a decent performance under the conditions gypsylee, you came in well under your target and should be proud :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done. A pretty good time even when you weren't 100%.

Advertisement