Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sandman

Options
  • 03-08-2016 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Is there an equivalent for the sandman in Ireland? If not, is the sandman used in Ireland at all? Well-known, for example, like Jack Frost?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Neither is used in Ireland but are known through american films.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mufasa from Warsaw

So difficult to know, because I've heard a very Irish Taxi driver use Jack Frost in conversation. So I thought it to be Irish, just to hear from my friend in England that it's regularly used there.

I assume then that there is no equivalent figure in Ireland for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

So difficult to know, because I've heard a very Irish Taxi driver use Jack Frost in conversation. So I thought it to be Irish, just to hear from my friend in England that it's regularly used there.

I assume then that there is no equivalent figure in Ireland for Ireland?

Not sure what you're looking for exactly. There's no direct Irish equivalent of the Sandman (who heralds sleep) or Jack Frost (who heralds winter/cold weather). But we do have the Banshee (who heralds death). The concept has spread to other countries through literature and other media, but was originally Irish (and possibly Scottish)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There isn't any deities associated with winter since the winters here are usually snow-less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

We have Lugh, associated with harvest time (hence Lughnasadh/Mí Lúnasa), but few, if any, would reference Lugh the way they do Jack Frost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Caer Ibormeith, allegedly the Celtic goddess of sleep and dreams. A minor figure in the pantheon however and probably not commonly referred to in the way the Sandman is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mufasa from Warsaw

Thanks everyone.

Advertisement