Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip switch trips when switching off plug

Options
  • 03-08-2016 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A bit of a weird one here, but hopefully someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I am just after recently moving into a house - when I flick the switch to turn off the power sockets in two locations in the house (that I know of), it trips the trip switch that controls all the power sockets in the house. Any thoughts?! Powerline adapter? It only happens when turned off the switches at the power sockets, and never when turning them on!

Some info:

Location #1 - Downstairs
    2 power sockets that connect into two recognised-brand surge protectors (2x 6 sockets) with 9 devices connected (TV, PS3, 360, Wii, Surround Sound, Powerline Adapter, Router, PoE for fixed wireless broadband, 8-port switch) but normally only 4-5 are powered on at any one time.

Location #2 - Upstairs
    2 power sockets with one that connects into a recognised-brand tower surge protector (10 sockets) with 7 sockets connected (computer, 2x monitors, 1x network switch, 1x powerline adapter only really powered on)

Note: All devices and surge protectors used without issue in last home.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi all,

A bit of a weird one here, but hopefully someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I am just after recently moving into a house - when I flick the switch to turn off the power sockets in two locations in the house (that I know of), it trips the trip switch that controls all the power sockets in the house. Any thoughts?! Powerline adapter? It only happens when turned off the switches at the power sockets, and never when turning them on!

Some info:

Location #1 - Downstairs
    2 power sockets that connect into two recognised-brand surge protectors (2x 6 sockets) with 9 devices connected (TV, PS3, 360, Wii, Surround Sound, Powerline Adapter, Router, PoE for fixed wireless broadband, 8-port switch) but normally only 4-5 are powered on at any one time.

Location #2 - Upstairs
    2 power sockets with one that connects into a recognised-brand tower surge protector (10 sockets) with 7 sockets connected (computer, 2x monitors, 1x network switch, 1x powerline adapter only really powered on)

Note: All devices and surge protectors used without issue in last home.

Thanks!

I'm going to assume you mean it trips the rcd.

I would imagine it's a combination of the surge protector and the amount of electronic devices with transformers plugged into them being turned off at the same time that is causing the problem. The surge protector may be sending a current large enough (30mA) through the earth to trip the rcd when it is switched off.
    Can you have a look at the rcd and let us know the make and rating(mA) of it. The rcd maybe faulty or over-sensitive and may need to be replaced.
    Try unplugging each device separately and see if it trips.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just a guess but:
    Switching off some loads can generate a "back EMF" to flow. This in addition to "normal" small earth leakage currents may cause an issue for the RCD. Typically domestic installations have just one RCD. Installing additional RCDs or better still one per socket circuit would most likely resolve this. Alternatively switch off the devices one at a time as suggested above.

It is also possible that your RCD is over sensitive. There is a simple check to establish this that any electrician with the correct test equipment can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Thanks guys - I believe the RCD is rated for 30mA but would need to double check when I get home.

Generally, there are a few always-on devices when I switch off the socket (, Powerline, PoE injector, router, switch) and the rest are probably in sleep/low power mode - would these being on possibly cause the issue? I will have a look at isolating/breaking up the amount of devices to another power socket to see if that helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks guys - I believe the RCD is rated for 30mA but would need to double check when I get home.

30 mA would be normal for domestic use. However some 30 mA RCDs operate at much less (even though they shouldn't) resulting in nuisance tripping.

Advertisement