Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin marathon 2016 - past runners opinions ?

• 03-08-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,

I am doing Berlin in September and have read only now some online reviews. There seems to be a big problem with congestion especially if you are in the last corral ? I am completing it with some running buddies who wanted to use this as a chance to go sub four? If we follow the pacers is there a better chance if getting through the crowds? Will our pace be compromised or will it be handy enough to get a sub 4 pace going if we don't go with the pacers? Some of the reviews suggested otherwise but need to get feedback so we can plan tactics!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

As I'm one of the pacers for this event would also be interested in the views of past participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

nhunter100 wrote: »
    As I'm one of the pacers for this event would also be interested in the views of past participants.

Apologies - re-reading my post seems like I was suggesting the pacers found it hard to pace in the crowds . What I meant was are we better to go with a pacer in order to navigate the congestion ? How bad really are the crowds ? Starting to panic a bit !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Bluesquare wrote:
    Apologies - re-reading my post seems like I was suggesting the pacers found it hard to pace in the crowds . What I meant was are we better to go with a pacer in order to navigate the congestion ? How bad really are the crowds ? Starting to panic a bit !

No I understood your post, just interested to hear of past experience from other runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

if you search the forum, there are a bunch of threads about previous berlin marathons with a lot of discussion, eg
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81414194

RayCun wrote: »
    if you search the forum, there are a bunch of threads about previous berlin marathons with a lot of discussion, eg
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81414194

Thanks! I have just read up on a lot of discussions on several threads ., Unfortunately most people involved in the discussions are faster runners than me with previous times which gives a better corral allocation .

I would really like to hear from folk who went out in the last corral and what their experience was ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The pacers were very erratic the year I did it (2014). Wasn't following one myself but some friends reported some very odd pacer behaviour, certainly not the even pace you would expect on a pancake-flat course like Berlin.

Wasn't in last corral so can't help the OP but I think if you're in sub-4 shape you should certainly be able to get there in Berlin, regardless of where you start. Weather can be a factor of course, just like anywhere else.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks - unfortunately my fitness not where I expected it to be so I need to adjust my target ! Berlin was about the sub 4 so now im honestly not that bothered and want to enjoy the race - beating my pb of course (done 1 marathon 7 years ago in 430)
    My buddies however have still the sub four target so are getting nervous about corrals etc !

Advertisement